JaJo08

Newly married! Form G-325a expired? Other questions too...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Greetings all!

My wife and I were happily married last weekend and thus begins the long journey of getting her here to the states. Quick question, I noticed on the form G-325a on both this site and the USCIS site says it expired on 5/31/09 at the top of the form. Am I interpreting this correctly and if so, is there a newer version to use?

Once we submit the first set of paper work and get the process rolling I have a few more questions:

It's my understanding that it is pretty difficult for her to come and visit here, but I can go there (Canada) correct? We were planning a trip to Mexico in September and if she had a layover here for 2 days is that an issue as well? Is there a limit on the number of trips and or length of time I can visit up there in Canada? Do I need to disclose the border guards that I'm visiting my wife? My job is pretty flex in terms of location as I've been going up there every month or so and staying for about 3 weeks each visit. We are definitely very fortunate in this regard!

We are both also looking for jobs in one another's countries in hopes of being sponsored on a work visa. If one of us happens to find a job once this process is started, it doesn't matter correct? My understanding is that once process does not effect the other.

This is a really great site and I'm so thankful to have found it! We appreciate the input!

thanks,

Jason

Married July 5th, 2009, Laguna Beach, CA

USCIS:

I-130 package sent - 8/14/2009

NOA1 (hardcopy) - 8/25/2009

NOA2 (hardcopy)- 9/24/2009

NVC:

NVC Received : 10/7/2009

Pay AOS Bill : 10/26/2009

OPTED IN for EP/Submitted DS-3032: 10/27/2009

Confirmation of EP Returned: 11/10/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 11/10/2009

Receive IV Bill : 11/13/2009

Pay IV Bill : 12/27/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 12/29/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 1/13/2010

Medical in Montreal : 4/12/2010 passed!

Interview in Montreal: 4/15/2010 passed!

POE at Coutts/Sweetgrass MT: around 5/8/2010

Timeline

Hi Jason,

Yes, that is the most recent G-325A.

It is not that difficult to visit during the visa process, many people do it. You just need to ensure that your wife brings strong proof of ties to Canada when she crosses the border. This can include your USCIS paperwork, a letter from her employer saying she will be back, a lease where she rents (if applicable) etc.

No, it's not really easier to visit her in Canada - the border person there would want that same kind of proof from you. On the other hand, they may not even ask for it. What you disclose to the border guards is up to you - but why wouldn't you tell them you were visiting your wife.

You can stay in Canada for up to 6 months with no visa - same for her to the States - this is of course up to the person who admits you at the border, they can specify a shorter time if they want to.

I'm not familiar with work visas - so I will let someone else answer that.

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

My husband made two trips into the US after we filed the I-130. Never had any problems whatsoever. They never even asked for proof of return to Denmark, not even a return ticket. First POE was Houston, the second was Newark. Not to say they won't ask, but we never had any problems at all.

Timeline
Hi Jason,

Yes, that is the most recent G-325A.

It is not that difficult to visit during the visa process, many people do it. You just need to ensure that your wife brings strong proof of ties to Canada when she crosses the border. This can include your USCIS paperwork, a letter from her employer saying she will be back, a lease where she rents (if applicable) etc.

No, it's not really easier to visit her in Canada - the border person there would want that same kind of proof from you. On the other hand, they may not even ask for it. What you disclose to the border guards is up to you - but why wouldn't you tell them you were visiting your wife.

You can stay in Canada for up to 6 months with no visa - same for her to the States - this is of course up to the person who admits you at the border, they can specify a shorter time if they want to.

I'm not familiar with work visas - so I will let someone else answer that.

Thanks Trailmix and txladykat. Since my job allows me to work from where ever I am, there is no point in getting a letter from them, but I can bring proof of my apartment lease. Is there other proof I can bring as well? I guess I was thinking of saying I was visiting my girlfriend because the second I say wife, it triggers a whole new level of questioning, etc. But they will see in the computer that we have started the CR1 process correct? Regarding the 6 month limit, is there a limit on the number of times you can go? I usually go every other month for up to 3 weeks at a time. Is that six month limit cumulative over the course of a year or is that just per visit?

thanks again!

Jason

Married July 5th, 2009, Laguna Beach, CA

USCIS:

I-130 package sent - 8/14/2009

NOA1 (hardcopy) - 8/25/2009

NOA2 (hardcopy)- 9/24/2009

NVC:

NVC Received : 10/7/2009

Pay AOS Bill : 10/26/2009

OPTED IN for EP/Submitted DS-3032: 10/27/2009

Confirmation of EP Returned: 11/10/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 11/10/2009

Receive IV Bill : 11/13/2009

Pay IV Bill : 12/27/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 12/29/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 1/13/2010

Medical in Montreal : 4/12/2010 passed!

Interview in Montreal: 4/15/2010 passed!

POE at Coutts/Sweetgrass MT: around 5/8/2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.