UmmSqueakster

Ramadan 2009

321 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ramadan related posting goodness here!

captcpsnlk17310808185711photo00phot.jpg

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Cross posted from the Muslim thread and ma blog. Definitely review the fiqh of fasting and fast a few days before Ramadan so you can hit the ground running.

Practical Tips in Preparation for Ramadan (from soundvision with added links by moi)

Ramadan is an event that occurs in the life of the faithful, as individuals and as an Ummah, once a year. It is intended by Allah to help us to recharge our spiritual batteries and thus prepare us for the great mission of realizing His will on earth. Therefore, in order to benefit from Ramadan, we may do well to prepare for it by opening our hearts and minds to embrace it. Let me offer a few tips:

1. We should empower ourselves by learning as much as we can about the precise laws as well as the benefits of fasting. Fiqh of Fasting Hanafi, Basics of Fasting - Shafi'i, Maliki book on Fasting, Fiqh us Sunnah on Fasting, general

2. We should ensure that we gain true benefits from our fasting, let us make sure to realize the spirit of fasting: this can only be done by abstaining, not only from food, drink, and sex, but also by strictly restraining our minds, hearts as well as our eyes, ears, hands, tongue, and so on. Inner Dimensions of Fasting by Imam al Ghazali

3.We must embrace the spirit of fasting as stressed in Hadith: to be charitable and compassionate as much as we can. The Concept of Charity in Islam, Muslim Character by Muhammad Ghazali

4. We should strengthen our relationship with the Qur'an; for Ramadan is the month of the Qur'an. Way to the Qur'an, Ulum al Qur'an

5. We should engage in dhikr and condition ourselves to make it second nature. My page of dhikr resources

6. Last but not least, we should build up our community through acts of charity and compassion and extending help to those in need as much as we can. Agenda to Change our Condition

Let us pray that we come out of Ramadan with our faith recharged, gaining strength in our faith and commitment and relationship with Allah.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

I'm looking forward to Ramadan recipes if any MENA girls have some to share, particularly those with ingredients that can be bought early (prices go way up during Ramadan and don't come back down and I don't want to reward that behavior if I can help it).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Last year was my first fasting during Ramadan and I would eat a tuna fish sandwich before I began the fast each morning... sounds gross, but lots of protein!

I am really bummed because I have to leave Cairo on September 18 in order to be back to Oregon in time for some mandatory school stuff. ONE DAY before Eid. :((

Timeline
I'm looking forward to Ramadan recipes if any MENA girls have some to share, particularly those with ingredients that can be bought early (prices go way up during Ramadan and don't come back down and I don't want to reward that behavior if I can help it).

Sadly, most of my favorite ramadan foods are american and indian, so I don't know how easily you'd be able to get the ingredients, but inshaAllah I'll be posting some. Can you stock up on staples like rice, noodles and lentils? I know I'd be happy as a clam eating koshari every day for iftar, but I think AbuS mentioned that it's not really a ramadan food? Phhft, to me, as long as it's food, it's for iftar, lol.

We also buy bread in bulk and freeze it. Do bread prices go up during ramadan as well?

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ohhh my husband says the same thing!!!!!! For me if it's food it works. Plus I break my fast with Diet Coke. Sorry folks but that's my vice and I often dream about that first sip LOL. (Sign of a real addict I think). Even though we've done Ramadan together for 3 years (this will be the 4th) he STILL gets the look of fear on his face when I crack open my Diet Coke - pshh whatever! Maybe if it was date flavored he would be into it?

Anyway - I stock up on what has been said so far, as well as all my meat etc to freeze so I don't have to worry about that. I also have cookies in the freezer and different bread things - briouats, b'stilla, regular bread, etc.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

As you all probably know I am new this will be my first year, and am very 'wet behind the ears', so can you tell me what is Ramadan food? I think I got this part, you eat before the sunrise and first prayer, then break your fast at sundown. (layman terms, sorry) But do I understand there is a certain food I should break my fast with? And what is Eid?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

for ramadan we use of course dates so expensive here in the states, fruit, and also we mash up potatoes with some hot peppers and deep fry them or season to taste also chicken yum, pastries, lots of water with some lime in it

at breakfast before prayer we eat normal breakfast.....

im sure i will think of other things just this is all i can think of off the top of my head this morning

sara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
As you all probably know I am new this will be my first year, and am very 'wet behind the ears', so can you tell me what is Ramadan food? I think I got this part, you eat before the sunrise and first prayer, then break your fast at sundown. (layman terms, sorry) But do I understand there is a certain food I should break my fast with? And what is Eid?

Masha Allah, does that mean you are a muslimah now? :)

There is no special food to break your fast with but it's sunnah to break it with dates and some milk then you can eat whatever you want.

Eid is right after ramadan is done it lasts 3 days it's the time where you celebrate breaking your fast after a long time of fasting.

lyrics.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.