carslo

Final report on using ABF U-Pack - relo cube for moving to the USA

12 posts in this topic

I just wanted to give an update on my experience with ABF UPACK using a relo cube. I must admit that I have done my far share of moving using everything from 1/2 tons to established moving companys and I would have to say that this was the BEST move ever.

Right from when I started to obtain quotes over the internet, I have been very impressed with the professionalism and individual service that was afforded me. I had various quotes for different dates, and since I didn't know if my interview in Montreal would be successful, I had arranged for storage at the point of origin aka Surrey BC; which deviates from the norm. I was able to cancel the storage at no additional cost. Everyone I spoke to on the phone both in Canada and Arkansas was great!

The relo cube holds 2500 pounds of stuff. I only had 1400 and that include 80 some odd boxes, a slate top sideboard, and assorted stuff. I even threw in an Ikea pine shelf and full length mirror at the end with out wrapping or padding - both arrived unscathed! A few things had shifted slightly on the cubes travels from Richmond to Surrey BC to Portland Oregan to Compton California and finally to our house here in Hawthorne. I did load heavier items to the back and fitted things in like working a jigsaw puzzle. I wrapped my sideboard in a duvet and my larger 27 inch tv (for my stepson) in a quilt I made for my stepdaughter. I used boxes from work (Grand and Toy) and also apple boxes. The thought of actually paying for a box when so many are just lurking out there prompted me to gather them over the past year. The only damage I can see if the glass on a picture chipped on the inside next to the print, I am thinking that the glass was defective. I even trusted this company with my collection of Hummels (German figurines of children). I really liked how I could take my time packing also. The cube(s) need two (2) locks to secure each cube. I used a combination lock from the dollar store on the left side and a heavy duty key lock on the right side. If customs wants to look inside at the border; they use bolt cutters to get in and then secure them with something for the rest of the trip. The ABF people do not want any keys or combinations for locks!

Delivery of the cube and pick up was prompt, courteous and cordial. Cost was acceptable at just under $1600 Canadian.

I had listed each box with a number and contents on the box, my computer, and a memory stick. When I was asked to add an (8) behind each box number on the contents list it was easily done. I also had to just number on the contents the misc. items aka #87 vacuum, #107 pine Ikea shelf. This was more for any stickliers at the border than the company. My cube cleared customs wihtout a hitch!

I would highly recommend the use of ABF relo cubes for anyone who is in their service area -sorry they don't do SK - Minnew! I had a dolly to use on both ends so that really helped with so many boxes. My stepson's friend easily picked up the huge honking tv and carried it into the house.

Hope this will help others with an upcoming moves where a relo cube will work for them.

I am one satisfied lady!

Janet

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad to hear it went so well Janet - I also like ABF and their relocubes and will use them again, they are very friendly mostly and customer service is very informed.

Most of our stuff was either scratched or dented when it arrived. Jostled too much or the way we packed it - who knows, anyway it all got here in fairly good shape and that's good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good to hear it went to smoothly! Hope you're settling into your new home nicely

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad it worked out well for you. We wanted to do the cubes but it wasnt available in Sault Ste Marie. The closest place was in Michigan some where can't remember now.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Glad you items arrived safely! It will make you feel more at home.

I seriously don't know what I'll do. I have at the most 5 medium boxes. Mainly pictures, and scrapbook goodies. I have books, but only a couple that mean anything to me, and I just may pack them in my suitcases, along with a couple other things. (two very nice lead crystal champagne glasses come to mind). I've had suggestions just to mail them, via the post office, and even someone that works there said people do it all the time. As long as the visa and I-94 copies are on them, I'm hoping that will work. I really do not have enough things for a moving company.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I seriously don't know what I'll do. I have at the most 5 medium boxes. Mainly pictures, and scrapbook goodies. I have books, but only a couple that mean anything to me, and I just may pack them in my suitcases, along with a couple other things. (two very nice lead crystal champagne glasses come to mind). I've had suggestions just to mail them, via the post office, and even someone that works there said people do it all the time. As long as the visa and I-94 copies are on them, I'm hoping that will work. I really do not have enough things for a moving company.

Are you flying? I just paid for an extra suitcase for $80 (air Canada online) and brought my extra things that way. I have a few more boxes to bring back next time and I plan to just take extra suitcases back and forth. Paying $85 for an extra bag was cheaper than shipping. I just got a cheap duffle bag in Chinatown and packed everything in there.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

when I cam over I just brought my clothes and a few other things.. the rest I left with my mom in 2 rubbermaid totes.. the plan being that she would mail me the totes when she had the time and money etc.. instead my darling mother went through the totes and shipped me stuff in separate boxes, the result being that I think some of my stuff didn't make it here, I know I am missing a few things, the most notable being part of this custom candle holder thing a friend made for me.... grrr...

the last tote I picked up when we drove up to Canada about a year later...

anyways my point was is you could just have someone mail it to you after you move...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Are you flying? I just paid for an extra suitcase for $80 (air Canada online) and brought my extra things that way. I have a few more boxes to bring back next time and I plan to just take extra suitcases back and forth. Paying $85 for an extra bag was cheaper than shipping. I just got a cheap duffle bag in Chinatown and packed everything in there.

Yes I am...shhhh don't tell Krikit, she keeps trying to get me to fly Southwest!* But I'm flying out of Vancouver on the 18th of August...booked my flight today!!! :dance: One way!! I'm committed!! I'm bringing two large suitcases already, filled mainly with clothes and what ever else I can get into them! plus I'll have a carry on. AA charges for the checked luggage already.

K-1 timeline

AOS

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

ROC

NOA November 23, 2011

GLITTER.jpg

when I cam over I just brought my clothes and a few other things.. the rest I left with my mom in 2 rubbermaid totes.. the plan being that she would mail me the totes when she had the time and money etc.. instead my darling mother went through the totes and shipped me stuff in separate boxes, the result being that I think some of my stuff didn't make it here, I know I am missing a few things, the most notable being part of this custom candle holder thing a friend made for me.... grrr...

anyways my point was is you could just have someone mail it to you after you move...

Great!! That's what I was hoping for! Did you have anything attached? ie. copy of the visa, or I-94? I know they'll have to list what's in the box, and it will be personal/household items and such.

I'll take a box to the P.O. to see how much it would cost *approx* and leave some money with my sister!!

K-1 timeline

AOS

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

ROC

NOA November 23, 2011

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Great!! That's what I was hoping for! Did you have anything attached? ie. copy of the visa, or I-94? I know they'll have to list what's in the box, and it will be personal/household items and such.

I'll take a box to the P.O. to see how much it would cost *approx* and leave some money with my sister!!

nope, just a description of what was in the box.. she mailed it a few months after I moved here...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

nope, just a description of what was in the box.. she mailed it a few months after I moved here...

Oh how wonderful!! *clapping hands and jumping with glee* I'm so glad I can do this!!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Carslo!!! :blush: I hope everything is going well in your new life there!

K-1 timeline

AOS

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

ROC

NOA November 23, 2011

GLITTER.jpg

No problem :)

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.