Kevin-n-Merlaine

Gifts on first meeting

17 posts in this topic

Looks like I'll be making a trip to Tacloban sometime in the near future and I could use some help where gifts for her family are concerned. There's Mom, Dad, numerous brothers and sisters and plenty of nieces and nephews. Would I be better off getting a big gift basket for the family or should I try to figure out individual gifts? I've never met them (except on cam) of course, and there are so many people to try to consider. I'll definitely grab some big bags of candy for all the kids and something special for her. Any help or ideas you have would sure be appreciated :D

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Looks like I'll be making a trip to Tacloban sometime in the near future and I could use some help where gifts for her family are concerned. There's Mom, Dad, numerous brothers and sisters and plenty of nieces and nephews. Would I be better off getting a big gift basket for the family or should I try to figure out individual gifts? I've never met them (except on cam) of course, and there are so many people to try to consider. I'll definitely grab some big bags of candy for all the kids and something special for her. Any help or ideas you have would sure be appreciated :D

ANything from and made in USA will make them happy. For the family they really don't care as long as it is heartily given. You can give the older ,,lotion, shampoo, bath soap or chocolates or toys for kids. When my hubby first came to meet my family he gave my mom vitamins for 50's and mom was happy about that. Kids got toys and chocolates.Good luck sa pamamanhikan..

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
ANything from and made in USA will make them happy.

:thumbs:

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Thanks for the advise :) It would appear from your suggestions so far that I need to give individual gifts then. I'd better start making a list..lol

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Yes i agree. Me and my friends went to victoria secret store last week and I was really amazed because of the inexpensive items. Her mom and sisters will be very happy if you'll give them lotion or perfume.

Edited by MikeeLucyForever

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

Thanks for the advise :) It would appear from your suggestions so far that I need to give individual gifts then. I'd better start making a list..lol

that's what I did for my wife's mom, brothers and sisters. the rest of the pasalubong I brought, let my wife decide how to divvy it up.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Bring lots of chocolates for the children. Just buy the bite size packs.

Bring couple of small lotion bottles for friends of your fiance (ask your fiance how many to bring over for her close friends)

Bring vitamins for mom and dad, or shirt for dad, perfume for mom.

For brothers and sisters, depends on their age...if a bit younger chocolates will do. if they are teenagers, shirts or tiny bottles of perfume would be good too.

Bring lots of chocolates for the children. Just buy the bite size packs.

Bring couple of small lotion bottles for friends of your fiance (ask your fiance how many to bring over for her close friends)

Bring vitamins for mom and dad, or shirt for dad, perfume for mom.

For brothers and sisters, depends on their age...if a bit younger chocolates will do. if they are teenagers, shirts or tiny bottles of perfume would be good too.

Ok, I think I can get all this figured out. Except for the chocolates. I'm sure some of you have taken them, so how did they hold up to that much traveling? Didn't they melt like crazy at some point along the journey? I'll have about 23 hours of flying time. Should I box them up with my other gifts and check them or carry on?

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I took chocolates for the kids, and since my finacee's family lived out in the country, we stopped and got several pizza's for the family to eat and stopped at the store and brought a ton of food with us so that while I was there, there would be plenty of food for all of us instead of making it harder for them to pay for my food along with their normal foods. Of course they had me trying all kinds of dishes of stuff that I didn't even buy too :) but it was all good. I loved the fish, but next time I think I will pass on the San Miguel.... :P I also supplied the food for the engagement party at the beach ;)

My goal was not to spoil them, because each time you go back, they will expect more and bigger things from you.

Filed: Timeline

I asked the wife for suggestions. I brought some ball caps with team names on them, and a carton of US cigarettes for the Dad and brother. For mom, we shopped for some ear rings once I arrived in the PI. American chocolate and peanut butter seemed to be big favorites as well. The wife only gave up about half of what I brought, so bring plenty!

Great suggestions..thanks! I'm going to be staying at the Hotel Alejandro I think. It's very crowded at her house and I think everyone concerned would be more comfortable, and I won't feel like a burden, if I stayed there. It has a lot of good reviews online and Merlaine said it was very nice, reasonable and close to where she lives (few blocks). I think I'll just pack a big box as my 2nd checked bag and fill it up :) I'll ask her this evening about specific things they might want. Don't think she'll tell me, but that's why I have all of you :D

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Great suggestions..thanks! I'm going to be staying at the Hotel Alejandro I think. It's very crowded at her house and I think everyone concerned would be more comfortable, and I won't feel like a burden, if I stayed there. It has a lot of good reviews online and Merlaine said it was very nice, reasonable and close to where she lives (few blocks). I think I'll just pack a big box as my 2nd checked bag and fill it up :) I'll ask her this evening about specific things they might want. Don't think she'll tell me, but that's why I have all of you :D

Chocolate and more Chocolate!!!! :P My wife is from Tacloban City. I had a nice trip over there. We stayed at Leyte Park Resort. Not too bad! While you are there, you have to go to Mac Arthur's park at Leyte Landing and go to San Juanico Bridge. Have a safe trip and tell us all about it when you get back. :thumbs:

Chocolate and more Chocolate!!!! :P My wife is from Tacloban City. I had a nice trip over there. We stayed at Leyte Park Resort. Not too bad! While you are there, you have to go to Mac Arthur's park at Leyte Landing and go to San Juanico Bridge. Have a safe trip and tell us all about it when you get back. :thumbs:

Thanks! I definitely will :) I'm really looking forward to it. There's a singing competition for fiesta going on from now till the end of August. The lady I'm going to see is in charge of auditioning all the contestants and helping run the contest. I'm sure we'll spend some time doing that and I'm quite sure she'll drag me all over the city :)

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

well when my hubby went here told him not to bring anything bcoz there are things too here that u can buy in the u.s... but he still bought small things like he gave me one army pin, a solar key chain with my name on it.. godiva chocolates and my ring.. and for my family before he left we had a big shopping at the mall hehehe.. its fun....

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.