VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
My visa was approved today too!! YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

I tell you I was so darn happy when I walked out of the consulate. I called D to tell him the good news right away. I'll give you all my full report when I get back home to Brissy.

Congrats Lyekka!! :D

congrats!! Looking forward to the full report. If you've already written it I'll read it when I get up.. Darn time difference!!

Timeline

LIFE IN THE US - UPDATE

I thought yesterday a lot about this process, and how stressful it all is and realised that it was probably time that I wrote a little update on life in the US and how things are different, or struggles I've faced etc...

So I'm 26, so is my hubby Tony, relatively young in the scheme of things. Mum asked me once why get married and move here.. why not in Australia? I said that he has more family and we're just a little family so visiting is lots easier... but I'm starting to have different thoughts.

Firstly, no doubt about being with Tony or anything like that. It's great being together but I didn't really, like REALLY think about how different life would be and how hard it would be too. Here are some things I found/find hard:

- Calling home is REALLY expensive from here. Getting text msgs from home is "outside the phone plan" so anytime I get a text, THEY get charged AND I get charged on TOP of my plan cost. Total bullshit. Getting a phonecard isn't cheap either but luckily I found "Say GDay" before I left Australia so it's pretty cheap for my family to call me. $30 buys 750 minutes. Mum calls me on a specific day but sometimes she forgets. She doesn't check her email or email me in general (she works too hard and looks after dad) and to go from picking up the phone and talking to my sister or mum whenever the mood strikes is a BIG change.

- Xmas.. we ARE a small family but it was always us family at Xmas. Now it's just Tony and me this year 'cause we live in TX and his family is in IA and we spent money on the wedding not so long ago, saw them not so long ago so no need to fly up... still... it's weird and mum cried 'cause it's the first year that all the family hasn't been home for Xmas... not true really my little sister hasn't been home in ages but it's better when she's away, she just causes trouble.

- It SUCKS not working. Like REALLY sucks for several reasons. I've always had a job, or been looking for a job except when I was visiting Europe & Tony in 08. It's weird going from earning my own money, paying my own bills to not. Very strange. We're moving to IA in march so even when the AOS comes through there's little to no point in getting a job for maybe a month or two.

- driving!! I've always had a car, or lived in Melb with public transport... Technically my licence is valid here but I need a US licence to get insurance. As we're moving in March apparently it's just as easy to wait and get my licence there as it is to get it here and transfer it when we move back to IA. That and Houston roads are NUTS so I would prefer to practice getting used to being on the "wrong" side of the car in a nice quiet town.. the "wrong" side of the road isn't that hard, it's the side of the car that I find most weird... Anyway Tony has another vehicle in IA but not here so yeah... gotta wait, but the lack of freedom is REALLY stressful sometimes

- being alone. I know, I know. I have my man, but my man works. I sit at home, on the internet, or watching TV (usually both :P) for days on end. He comes home from work and it's all good but I feel bad that on his days off when he wants to be relaxing he's worried about me and about getting me "out and about" so I don't go stir-crazy.

It's been 3 months now and it still feels like I'm visiting because I can't do anything I normally would. I think it's different than it would be for most because we're kinda in limbo with the move back to his home-state (IA) but it's still difficult sitting at home not being able to drive anywhere, not being able to get a job, and not being able to walk too far because.. well Houston is dangerous and he worries... with just cause I think too because a gf of ours in November was at a gas station when some random guy asked her if she had any money, she said "sorry, no" and walked away. As she turned away from him she heard a "click" and then the guy at the next bowser jumped on the guy behind her bc he pulled out a knife. He was going to take her car and her 6 month old was in the back seat! Same thing for a friend of Tony's (about a week before the other one) where a guy demanded the keys to our friends car so he leant is his car and instead of his keys pulled out his gun. The guy took off. Scary stuff.

The other thing that's weird for me is the food. Chocolate here quite honestly sucks in my opinion. I haven't found anything that I truly love yet... though I keep trying as much as I can in the vein hope! Bread... wow. Bread is bad but I'm finally adjusting and forgetting what our bread tastes like.. just knowing it's better but not remembering it :P

Oo a biggie is people not understanding my accent. Drives me INSANE! I walked into Applebee's and asked for take-away and the girl was like "huh?" and I was like "GRR!" and Tony just said it instead. Calling stuff about the wedding I asked for accommodation for my sister from the 4th and she said "the pool?" Seriously?? Ugh. Frustrating. Not to mention people "correcting" my way of pronouncing things, or my way of spelling things. I need to find a stress relief for that little issue 'cause it's REALLY irritating especially when they KNOW what I mean but just do it because "I'm wrong". /sigh.

I s'pose the whole point in this post is to let you all know that it IS hard. I'm sure once I have my licence, and all the name change stuff is done, and it actually starts to feel like life rather than "visa stuff" then it'll be better. I don't regret it at all, I don't think there's anything I could do differently to make life easier, and Tony definitely tries very hard to make sure I'm happy all the time but just sometimes I sit, or walk around thinking.. wow.. I still feel like a visitor... but I think it's 'cause I AM, I'm still on holiday really until I CAN get a job, until I CAN get a licence. So yeah, it's hard, worth it but hard. I just wanted to let you guys know that you're not alone if you ever feel that way. :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
LIFE IN THE US - UPDATE

I thought yesterday a lot about this process, and how stressful it all is and realised that it was probably time that I wrote a little update on life in the US and how things are different, or struggles I've faced etc...

So I'm 26, so is my hubby Tony, relatively young in the scheme of things. Mum asked me once why get married and move here.. why not in Australia? I said that he has more family and we're just a little family so visiting is lots easier... but I'm starting to have different thoughts.

Firstly, no doubt about being with Tony or anything like that. It's great being together but I didn't really, like REALLY think about how different life would be and how hard it would be too. Here are some things I found/find hard:

- Calling home is REALLY expensive from here. Getting text msgs from home is "outside the phone plan" so anytime I get a text, THEY get charged AND I get charged on TOP of my plan cost. Total bullshit. Getting a phonecard isn't cheap either but luckily I found "Say GDay" before I left Australia so it's pretty cheap for my family to call me. $30 buys 750 minutes. Mum calls me on a specific day but sometimes she forgets. She doesn't check her email or email me in general (she works too hard and looks after dad) and to go from picking up the phone and talking to my sister or mum whenever the mood strikes is a BIG change.

- Xmas.. we ARE a small family but it was always us family at Xmas. Now it's just Tony and me this year 'cause we live in TX and his family is in IA and we spent money on the wedding not so long ago, saw them not so long ago so no need to fly up... still... it's weird and mum cried 'cause it's the first year that all the family hasn't been home for Xmas... not true really my little sister hasn't been home in ages but it's better when she's away, she just causes trouble.

- It SUCKS not working. Like REALLY sucks for several reasons. I've always had a job, or been looking for a job except when I was visiting Europe & Tony in 08. It's weird going from earning my own money, paying my own bills to not. Very strange. We're moving to IA in march so even when the AOS comes through there's little to no point in getting a job for maybe a month or two.

- driving!! I've always had a car, or lived in Melb with public transport... Technically my licence is valid here but I need a US licence to get insurance. As we're moving in March apparently it's just as easy to wait and get my licence there as it is to get it here and transfer it when we move back to IA. That and Houston roads are NUTS so I would prefer to practice getting used to being on the "wrong" side of the car in a nice quiet town.. the "wrong" side of the road isn't that hard, it's the side of the car that I find most weird... Anyway Tony has another vehicle in IA but not here so yeah... gotta wait, but the lack of freedom is REALLY stressful sometimes

- being alone. I know, I know. I have my man, but my man works. I sit at home, on the internet, or watching TV (usually both :P) for days on end. He comes home from work and it's all good but I feel bad that on his days off when he wants to be relaxing he's worried about me and about getting me "out and about" so I don't go stir-crazy.

It's been 3 months now and it still feels like I'm visiting because I can't do anything I normally would. I think it's different than it would be for most because we're kinda in limbo with the move back to his home-state (IA) but it's still difficult sitting at home not being able to drive anywhere, not being able to get a job, and not being able to walk too far because.. well Houston is dangerous and he worries... with just cause I think too because a gf of ours in November was at a gas station when some random guy asked her if she had any money, she said "sorry, no" and walked away. As she turned away from him she heard a "click" and then the guy at the next bowser jumped on the guy behind her bc he pulled out a knife. He was going to take her car and her 6 month old was in the back seat! Same thing for a friend of Tony's (about a week before the other one) where a guy demanded the keys to our friends car so he leant is his car and instead of his keys pulled out his gun. The guy took off. Scary stuff.

The other thing that's weird for me is the food. Chocolate here quite honestly sucks in my opinion. I haven't found anything that I truly love yet... though I keep trying as much as I can in the vein hope! Bread... wow. Bread is bad but I'm finally adjusting and forgetting what our bread tastes like.. just knowing it's better but not remembering it :P

Oo a biggie is people not understanding my accent. Drives me INSANE! I walked into Applebee's and asked for take-away and the girl was like "huh?" and I was like "GRR!" and Tony just said it instead. Calling stuff about the wedding I asked for accommodation for my sister from the 4th and she said "the pool?" Seriously?? Ugh. Frustrating. Not to mention people "correcting" my way of pronouncing things, or my way of spelling things. I need to find a stress relief for that little issue 'cause it's REALLY irritating especially when they KNOW what I mean but just do it because "I'm wrong". /sigh.

I s'pose the whole point in this post is to let you all know that it IS hard. I'm sure once I have my licence, and all the name change stuff is done, and it actually starts to feel like life rather than "visa stuff" then it'll be better. I don't regret it at all, I don't think there's anything I could do differently to make life easier, and Tony definitely tries very hard to make sure I'm happy all the time but just sometimes I sit, or walk around thinking.. wow.. I still feel like a visitor... but I think it's 'cause I AM, I'm still on holiday really until I CAN get a job, until I CAN get a licence. So yeah, it's hard, worth it but hard. I just wanted to let you guys know that you're not alone if you ever feel that way. :D

I feel your pain for so many of these things Vanessa!! The phone plans, the food, the driving, the lonliness...and the ACCENT and TALKING, oh my god. You think it's bad now, wait until you start working! I pretty much had to put on a bit of an accent when I was working so I could be understood....grrrrr. But all your worries are valid, don't be like me and think you are just a whinger. In a few months you will be all settled, working and all that and you won't even think about all this. And we are all behind you and supporting each other!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline
I feel your pain for so many of these things Vanessa!! The phone plans, the food, the driving, the lonliness...and the ACCENT and TALKING, oh my god. You think it's bad now, wait until you start working! I pretty much had to put on a bit of an accent when I was working so I could be understood....grrrrr. But all your worries are valid, don't be like me and think you are just a whinger. In a few months you will be all settled, working and all that and you won't even think about all this. And we are all behind you and supporting each other!

Aww yay! I hoped it wasn't just me! lol.. the accent I mean. I was thinking about the phone/talking stuff and I was admin/secretary in Australia. I think about typing dictation and think how many of my words will have to be "Amerianised". That when i talk to people on the phone they'll think I'm a telemarketer or won't understand me. Ugh. I think my american accent is going to have to be developed a bit... /sigh.. or not talk as fast :P

Thanks for the support!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
LIFE IN THE US - UPDATE

Me 3!! (I feel the pain). I came here at the end of Aug. and married a month ago. So, it's almost 4 months that I've sat and waited .... and still waiting. I can't drive and cant go anywhere. My hubby works Mon-Fri, so i sit at home til he gets home. Just like you, I sit infront of the tv with my laptop on.

I can't even walk out pass the community gate that we live in becuase hubby has warned me about getting abducted around Florida (I hear it on the news all the time). It can be scary... I have tried walking out to get to the store... cars honking and people staring and gawking.

And not being able to work and having an income coming regularly have been hard to take. I wish I could go back to work soon!

I think your mom is paying alot for that phone card. When I use to call my hubby then, I used a $10 phonecard with 1,030 mins in it. I lived in Sydney tho so I dunno if you can get it in Melb. Its called "Today China" - I usually buy if from an Asian store.

Anyways, it's all worth it. Can be lonely sometimes but I'm really happy to be here.

thCat_Dancing.gif

12.15.2009 - Mailed out AOS

12.29.2009 - NOAs Received-hard copies

01.02.2010 - Biometrics appt. r'cved for Jan.19,2010

01.15.2010 - Walk in Biometrics - DONE

02.03.2010 - Case Transfered to CSC

02.16.2010 - I-765 approved. card production ordered

02.24.2010 - Employment Authorization Card arrived today!

03.05.2010 - I-485 APPROVED, "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03.11.2010 - "Welcome to the US of A" letter arrived

03.12.2010 - PR Card arrived

Dec. 5, 2011 (Monday) - Is the date when I can apply for Removal of Conditions

Me 3!! (I feel the pain). I came here at the end of Aug. and married a month ago. So, it's almost 4 months that I've sat and waited .... and still waiting. I can't drive and cant go anywhere. My hubby works Mon-Fri, so i sit at home til he gets home. Just like you, I sit infront of the tv with my laptop on.

I can't even walk out pass the community gate that we live in becuase hubby has warned me about getting abducted around Florida (I hear it on the news all the time). It can be scary... I have tried walking out to get to the store... cars honking and people staring and gawking.

And not being able to work and having an income coming regularly have been hard to take. I wish I could go back to work soon!

I think your mom is paying alot for that phone card. When I use to call my hubby then, I used a $10 phonecard with 1,030 mins in it. I lived in Sydney tho so I dunno if you can get it in Melb. Its called "Today China" - I usually buy if from an Asian store.

Anyways, it's all worth it. Can be lonely sometimes but I'm really happy to be here.

Have you guys used Skype much or is there something I am missing on why not to use?

I am about to leave (in a month) and I think about a lot of these things daily, I hope I can cope until I get use to it all. My girl says I am easy to understand but then she has talk for over a year to me so I would hope she could understand me :)

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline

Ooo thanks for the Today China idea! Say Gday was the cheapest where I was living at the time but they didn't have a big list telling me which one is the cheapest... which I wish there was :P

Your hubby is the same as mine!! There are reports of abductions here all the time. He won't even let me put the shopping trolley away unless he's watching so he'll stand at the car until I get back to the car. I'm also the same as you. I don't know if it's fear of the unknown but just walking outside the community I see all the cars flying past and think about how no-one seems to pay attention around them so who would see if something was to happen?

Have you guys used Skype much or is there something I am missing on why not to use?

I am about to leave (in a month) and I think about a lot of these things daily, I hope I can cope until I get use to it all. My girl says I am easy to understand but then she has talk for over a year to me so I would hope she could understand me :)

As for not using skype.. at 1.7 euro cents per minute it's REALLY expensive. If you're both on the computer that's all well and good ('cause it's free) but it's very internet limit dependant and while it's unlimited in the US, it's not in Australia so I'd rather not waste all the internet quota... though occasionally we might MSN video call.

Also, Tony HATES skype. I forget why but he really does. Something about it being bad for his comp I think.

Oh, and my accent is fine in person apparently, it's over the phone that it's really bad. His family is fine with it in person, but sometimes on the phone they're like "huh??' lol.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I concur about the Chocolate Vanessa. I love Houston though (DALE DYNAMO!), but I know it can be dangerous at times.

You've really solidified my thinking, I think it's helpful to just have my eyes open to such things. The not having a job thing is certainly worrying for me, I'm only 23 and the job I want is very specialised (youth ministry in the church) so I'm worried about that stuff, at the moment I have 3 days off a week and it's fine, Football Manager 2010 keeps me occupied, but I like working and resting 7 days a week is fine for one month but longer than that could be crazy.

As an aside we organised our honeymoon yesterday! Now I REALLY need that visa.

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-24

NVC Received : 2009-10-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-27

Consulate Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-03

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-01-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-11

Interview Date : 2010-02-09 - APPROVED!

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-16

Timeline

Hey Vanessa & Omnivore,

I'm in Houston......(well, Katy...westside of Houston and have been here for 20 years)....anyway, yair, there are bad parts for sure.

As for the chocolate.......don't even bother with American chocolate, it is ####### compared to what you get in Australia. The GOOD thing is that you can get the Cadbury chocolate bars in most of the grocery stores. Otherwise there are several online Aussie stores that stock Aussie items. There's one in San Antonio that even does frozen meat pies and sausage rolls. www.aboutaustralia.com

If you would like to get out sometime, let me know. I get every other Friday off. :D

Wendy

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-06

I-129F Received VSC: 2009-07-08

I-129F check cashed: 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-09

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

Timeline
Hey Vanessa & Omnivore,

I'm in Houston......(well, Katy...westside of Houston and have been here for 20 years)....anyway, yair, there are bad parts for sure.

As for the chocolate.......don't even bother with American chocolate, it is ####### compared to what you get in Australia. The GOOD thing is that you can get the Cadbury chocolate bars in most of the grocery stores. Otherwise there are several online Aussie stores that stock Aussie items. There's one in San Antonio that even does frozen meat pies and sausage rolls. www.aboutaustralia.com

If you would like to get out sometime, let me know. I get every other Friday off. :D

Wendy

OMG I think you're my idol! I saw the cadbury chocie on the shelves but it's made here so tastes difft :( I'm having my family send me some for Christmas... and now that everyone I like's tried a piece i'm hiding it all !! mwah hahahahaha!

Thank you so much for the link! I tried www.worldmarket.com 'cause there's one here but the cadbury is made in the UK and tastes even worse than american cadbury :P

It's so good to be home and able to sleep in my own bed again last night. :) I didn't have a great night sleep at the hotel the night before my interview....I woke up quite a few times which I think was because I was paranoid about sleeping in (even though I set 3 alarms so I wouldn't oversleep and asked Dwight to call me to make sure I was up lol). My day wasn't off to a good start because I woke up with a sore head (the pillow was hard as a rock!) I got ready, spoke with my man and checked out of the hotel at 8:15am for my appointment at 9:00am. I left my suitcase in the storage room at the hotel for the day. I stayed at Travelodge Sydney (Wentworth Street), it was close to Museum Train Station and the bus stop. It was a nice neat and comfy room (apart from the pillows). We booked a week in advance so it cost $90 for the night (you get a discount if you book in advance). Once I left the hotel, I took the train one stop to St James Station and it was just a short walk to the MLC Centre from there. A note for those who have interviews coming up: the main entry to the lobby is on the corner of King and Castlereagh Streets (you can enter via Martin Place but the other entry was easier for me).

So here's what went down at the consulate:

I arrived about 8:45am and went to the reception/security on level 10, went through the security check and handed over my bag. I had to wait a minute and then I was able to go up to level 59, by this time it was 9:00am. I got my ticket and waited about 15 minutes and was called to the first counter where I handed over my passport and 3kg express post satchel. The lady gave me a document to read which was Pre-Departure Notice for Fiancé(e) Visas. I was told to take a seat and about 20 minutes later I was called to the next counter and the guy took my fingerprints.

I then waited about 20 to 30 minutes to be called to the next window for my interview. The CO handed back my original birth certificate and police certificate and then went through my file while she asked me some questions and typed my responses. By memory it basically went something like this:

How did you meet?

When will I travel to the US?

She asked if he lives in the DC area.

Have you been to the US? I replied, yes, once on the VWP.

Did I overstay 90 days on my visit to the US? No.

Then she flicked though my passport and asked if I had been twice because I had two US immigration stamps in my passport. We went to Jamaica while I was there but I only considered it as once because I could only stay in the US 90 days from my first entry date. I totally didn't realise this would really be considered two trips...but it was no biggie.

She then realised D was born in Jamaica and asked if his family is still there.

She asked about his previous marriage and family.

Being in the navy, how long at a time does he have to go to sea for? Luckily for me he's on shore duty so he doesn't have to at the moment.

Is the navy his career? Is he going to retire after 20 years?

She asked about him previously being based in the Pacific (which was when we met).

Do we have any wedding plans? Are we planning on having a ceremony here in Australia after we are married?

She flicked through the photos he filed with the I-129. She commented on one where he was in uniform and I was thinking "yes, handsome I know!" Lol :D

I signed the DS-156K form which I submitted with packet 3.

She briefly discussed (to make sure I knew) that we need to be married within 90 days of entry and can't leave until I have permanent residency.

Then she told my visa was approved (I was jumping with joy on the inside :dance: ) and the interview was over. As expected she didn't even ask to see any of the evidence I took with me.

I went back down to level 10, got my bag and was out of there by 10:15am. I was surprised I was in and out before some of the people that were already waiting in the consulate when I arrived. I called Dwight as soon as I could to tell him the good news and he was so excited too :D

Now we can start planning my move in January.....yay!!!

Thank you to everyone for your support and help the last few months. It wasn't the smoothest ride for us between NOA2 and receiving P3 and I would have totally gone insane without you guys *hugs* :)

Filed: Timeline

Good luck for your interview! good. :thumbs:

Residence in Sydney (now in melb) for a while and I worked very near the center of the CTM. :devil: the nearest train station is likely to be in Central or Wyn yard ... smile.gift

I hope it goes well. Thank you for constantly updated, it helps me a lot! :dance:

Edited by Audree Arrington

Vanessa I totally understand where you are coming from. I think we are all going to feel exactly the way you do. We've always known that moving to the States is not going to be easy. We're eventually going to move back here a few years after D retires from the navy. He loves it in Australia and I know that I'm going to miss home and want to come back someday. Being in the Navy he's use to being away from home and his family. He's really worried about when he eventually has to go back to a ship and has to leave me for months at a time. That won't be for a while but it's scary because we'll probably have to move, I'll have to find a new job, make new friends and I'll be all on my own at times.

I agree the bread and the chocolate sucks in the US. I did eventually find some bread that was decent from the bakery at Harris Teeter and also Panera. Luckily they do have Lindt dark chocolate....yum!! I don't think Americans even know what desiccated coconut is....I couldn't find it anywhere. They have some kind of grated coconut but it's really sugary. How are we supposed to make our ANZAC biscuits? Lol. And where the heck are the health food stores?? I've never seen one. Not everything is bad though, I love the whole wheat Ritz which I've never seen here and Hagen Daz ice-cream is good.

We'll be living in a nice neighbourhood but still he's worried about me having to walk down the street to the bus stop to get to the mall or library. He tells me not to talk to strangers and to be cautious. What freaked me out a little was one day we were looking on Family Watchdog, which shows you where sex offenders live and work in your neighbourhood, it even shows a picture...it's creepy! That must have been so scary for your friend who almost had her car stolen with her baby inside. Thank goodness that other man stopped him.

The first time I drove in the US felt so funny. I was driving a manual and out of habit I went to change gears with my left hand and thought "oh shoot that's the door!" Luckily I didn't pull the handle! When reversing for the first time I looked over my left shoulder...duh!! Lol. :wacko:

I used to get so bored and lonely staying at home all day too. Mostly I'd watch tv and get on the computer. D use to get worried when I'd go out on my own when we were in Japan and the US even though Japan is a relatively safe place to live. I'd usually go out shopping or sight seeing the days he had duty because they were the worst as he couldn't come home that night and I was left by myself for more than 24 hours. It also makes it worse that D's family are all in NY and he doesn't have a bunch of friends in DC that I can hang out with their wives or girlfriends. Then after sometime I started to get tired of only being able to wear the clothes and shoes I packed in my suitcase and whatever I had bought at the shops. There were times when I was in tears because I felt like I had nothing to wear especially when autumn came. Silly I know! I want to take my entire wardrobe, shoes and handbags with me next time. Lol. :D

I'm thinking about taking cake decorating classes soon after I get there so I have a hobby and eventually maybe do it for some extra cash. I did a 6 month course when I was in high school and I'll admit my final cake, which was like a small wedding cake with hand made flowers looked pretty good. I'll be living in northern VA and it's legal to sell cakes from your home (obviously there are some regulations). If anyone is in the area, I could make your wedding cake lol. I wish I could take my sewing machine too.....that would keep me occupied for months.

Luckily there is an exercise room where we'll be living so I can at least get out and stay fit especially during the colder months. I think that makes a heap of difference otherwise I'd be moping around all day during winter.

I personally can't remember people having trouble understanding my accent when I was in the States. Though I'm not surprised if some people do though.....recently I've seen a few American tv shows (can't remember what the were now) with English people on there and they had written subtitles when the English people were speaking. They were speaking English and they need subtitles in English so people could comprehend what they were saying...#######!?!? I think the way they spell things will take some getting use to and also having to write the date with the month first (it makes more sense to me the way we do it). That really confuses me!

It's hard to adjust but I think once you start working and get your licence and car, things will be more normal. Missing our families back home will probably be the hardest thing to adjust to if we can at all.

After reading all of this I am sitting here in tears...bad day recovering from a migraine does not help in the slightest.

Vanessa I think all that you are feeling is extremely valid & that we all will feel that way at some point once we move stateside. I have started making little changes here already to make the transition easier (if that is possible) My web browsers are set for the US English so that I start spelling things their way and also so my daughter can start to make that distinction too. The way they have different names for things like take out (carry out) shopping trolley (cart) etc does my head in some days but I guess it is also the joy of moving to a new country.

The driving things worries me though the fact I will be driving a 4WD again gives me a little confidence. We will be living on 3 acres outside of town, so whilst that is a little worrisome, I love the fact that we will have room to move & not having to worry about neighbors being right beside us. I can not say I had the bread there or the chocolate while I stayed there in June...but even Eric doesn't like their white bread at all & only eats Italian Bread. I can not get past how a lot of their sweets have peanut butter in them... I mean Reese's Peanut Butter cups, Peanut Butter Choc Chip cookies, Peanut butter ice cream..it is in everything!

There is a website called Mates Up Over that is all Aussies living in the USA. A friend of my mum's gave me the address as he is a Texan who lives here now. It has been an awesome insight & a lot of them have the same concerns as you do Vanessa, and the same ones we all will no doubt...especially the pronunciation of things.

I am relishing in all the last things I will experience here ...though I can say I will not miss this horrible heat we have here...it is oppressive some days & beyond belief. I am looking forward to my last Christmas here with all 4 of my kidlets. They are all sleeping here tomorrow night & we will all wake up together on Christmas morning..I am sure I will be a basket case by the end of the day but I will enjoy every second I have with them. Though not having a winter until I am stateside will be weird to say the least.

If I dont see anyone before hand as I am driving all day tomorrow to pick up my youngest daughter from the Hunter Valley and then back to Sydney again...I hope you all have an amazing Christmas with your loved ones, despite those of us not with our fiance's at this time of year...Eric & I are doing gift opening on web cam with the kids & then he & I will celebrate on the USA Christmas when he gets home from work (sucks he has to work)

*lots of hugs & warm wishes*

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Timeline

hey guys, just wanted to mention about the car insurance issue...when I was living in las vegas last year I had a car for the 18 months I lived there and had no problems with obtaining car insurance with my new zealand drivers licence. I actually dealt with two different companies in that 18 month period and had no problems at all....I think one may have charged me a little more coz I didn't have a usa licence but other than that it was fine.

07/10/14 - Petition send via UPS Next Day Air

07/11/14 - Petition delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.