bobb

Obtaining Private Visa

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Please note the red area I highlighted above, as OVIR does not issue the visa, just an invitation that you send to the embassy here to get the visa.

Ah yes, I meant to write invitation and wrote visa in error.

It may well work for you where you visit as you say. But, in Izhevsk as I pointed out, they were very strict and would not let it happen again without a fine. Everyone's situation is different. I was just trying to provide my experience in obtaining a Private (Homestay) visa.

So typically Russian. The rules change based on the day and the person you are talking to.

Perhaps you should have brought some chocolates as a thank you.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
To answer your question Brad, yes it's like a friends and family thing. Private visa is also called home stay visa on the consulate website (NYC). I went on a tourist visa last year and stayed at Mama's house, but I want to get a Private visa for any more visits and I'm going for a Temp Res Visa to boot.

Thanks Tnic. How long does a temp res last? And out of pure curiousity, why would you do it? Vika and I talk all the time about taking an extended stay in Ukraine some day. If my work would permit I would go any time (except maybe the hottest part of summer :whistle: ).

A tourist visa only lets you stay 30 days and business visas now carry the 90/180 day restriction and the inability to obtain any other Russian visa for several months. So a temporary residence visa is a better choice if you want to stay for more than 30 days. Plus, it can be turned into a permanent residency.

Первый блин комом.

To answer your question Brad, yes it's like a friends and family thing. Private visa is also called home stay visa on the consulate website (NYC). I went on a tourist visa last year and stayed at Mama's house, but I want to get a Private visa for any more visits and I'm going for a Temp Res Visa to boot.

Thanks Tnic. How long does a temp res last? And out of pure curiousity, why would you do it? Vika and I talk all the time about taking an extended stay in Ukraine some day. If my work would permit I would go any time (except maybe the hottest part of summer :whistle: ).

A tourist visa only lets you stay 30 days and business visas now carry the 90/180 day restriction and the inability to obtain any other Russian visa for several months. So a temporary residence visa is a better choice if you want to stay for more than 30 days. Plus, it can be turned into a permanent residency.

Thanks eekee. Again, just idle curiosity. Since I really don't need a visa in Ukraine unless I plan to work (I know -haha), there won't ever really be a need. When I used to visit my partners in Belarus, I always went on a business visa, but still had to register with the local militsia. The time I was allowed to stay was based only on the time my partners would put in the invitation.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The city where you stay can mean all the difference.

I went to Nizhniy Novgorod on a tourist visa and had a lot of hassle. It used to be a 'closed city' and the OVIR/Police are still very wary of outsiders. Supposed to register within 3 days and they pushed it to over 4 or 5 to get a fine/bribe from me (I am still not sure which they wanted, maybe both :P). Ended up mailing my registration through the Post Office, but had difficulty getting out of the city because since I mailed it I didn't have a stamp on my card. Getting hauled to the airport police station (down a long twisting corridor away from everything and everyone else) an hour before the flight isn't fun. I lost all comprehension of the Russian language I was so nervous.

Didn't have any trouble getting out of Moscow without the stamp.

The tourist company who I got my invitation from said my problems were because of the city and told me definitely to get private visa next time. They were very helpful sending me more papers/documents to say my gf was a representative of their Moscow Office and could register me.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ekee answered it well Brad. The Russian TRV is good for (I think) 3 years. After the first year you can apply for a Permanent Res visa which allows unrestricted travel in and out. BUT, I could not be gone from Russia longer than six months or I lose it. I'm already retired and our plan is to live there permanently sometime in the next few years. We would come back to visit my family (probably during the coldest months) and hit the VA hospital to catch up on my check ups and of course her shopping then head back to Russia. Mama is 75 now and had a mild stroke last month and she lives in a 3 story walk up and could use our help. Irina is there now until mid Aug.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

They were very helpful sending me more papers/documents to say my gf was a representative of their Moscow Office and could register me.

And they did all that for free, right?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Ekee answered it well Brad. The Russian TRV is good for (I think) 3 years. After the first year you can apply for a Permanent Res visa which allows unrestricted travel in and out. BUT, I could not be gone from Russia longer than six months or I lose it. I'm already retired and our plan is to live there permanently sometime in the next few years. We would come back to visit my family (probably during the coldest months) and hit the VA hospital to catch up on my check ups and of course her shopping then head back to Russia. Mama is 75 now and had a mild stroke last month and she lives in a 3 story walk up and could use our help. Irina is there now until mid Aug.

Very cool. I assume your Russian is pretty good? How did you learn it (thus reopening the great debate about the best way to study Russian).

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Very cool. I assume your Russian is pretty good? How did you learn it (thus reopening the great debate about the best way to study Russian).

LOL! About the only complete sentence I can string together is "I speak russian badly." and "I speak a little (chutchut) russian." I actually have a decent vocabulary and I'm working on it slow but sure. I may never get the hang of all the different word endings, but I can be understood if both parties are patient. For my money, the best PLACE to study Russian is of course in Russia. I think I can find a few willing volunteers to help me out. Mama is just aching to have a conversation with me and I would love to indulge her. I can meet and greet and say goodbye in all the usual ways and it really tickles the old girl when I come up on the phone (skype) with her.

I think I've mentioned a guy I know that teaches english in Russia. He's been there for two years now and still doesn't speak much Russian. Or maybe he's just being modest. кто знает.

Тим

Edited by Tnic

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

LOL! About the only complete sentence I can string together is "I speak russian badly." and "I speak a little (chutchut) russian." I actually have a decent vocabulary and I'm working on it slow but sure. I may never get the hang of all the different word endings, but I can be understood if both parties are patient. For my money, the best PLACE to study Russian is of course in Russia. I think I can find a few willing volunteers to help me out. Mama is just aching to have a conversation with me and I would love to indulge her. I can meet and greet and say goodbye in all the usual ways and it really tickles the old girl when I come up on the phone (skype) with her.

I think I've mentioned a guy I know that teaches english in Russia. He's been there for two years now and still doesn't speak much Russian. Or maybe he's just being modest. кто знает.

Тим

I think my in-laws would like to have a regular conversation too, but I am a loooong way from that. I did take a Russian course at university here last year, but I had to drop it because of my work schedule. Nothing like sitting in a room with some kids who do nothing but study all the time, trying to keep up. Although I tried the Rosetta stone stuff, and even had a tutor for awhile - I just don't have the time or discipline to study every day. Vika's presence here now is a HUGE help with that. I still remember the first few times I read billboards and understood the adds (in Ukraine), or the first time I was able to converse enough to make it out of a shop with the goods I wanted (in Belarus - requiring about six Russian words). I agree that studying the language in Eastern Europe is the most immersive and interesting way to go about it, but I have never been to Russia.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Every time I went to Russia, I just used a visa service. I have to look at the visas, but I think they generate a business visa. I just stayed with my friend and I never registered with any police station or anything like that.

I only had one hassle at the airport, when they discovered that I speak Russian and wanted to know about everything in my baggage.

True, I never stayed past 30 days......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
They were very helpful sending me more papers/documents to say my gf was a representative of their Moscow Office and could register me.

And they did all that for free, right?

Yes they did. The company was really nice. Lady there talked to my gf in Russian fully explaining the situation and what to do now and in the future, and then explained again fully to me in English so we both understood everything.

Every time I went to Russia, I just used a visa service. I have to look at the visas, but I think they generate a business visa. I just stayed with my friend and I never registered with any police station or anything like that.

I only had one hassle at the airport, when they discovered that I speak Russian and wanted to know about everything in my baggage.

True, I never stayed past 30 days......

Sounds like that is the way to go for a USC. Vika and I keep kicking around a possible trip to SP next year, and I will of course be the only one with a problem getting in :unsure:

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Vika and I keep kicking around a possible trip to SP next year, and I will of course be the only one with a problem getting in :unsure:

GO!!! St Petersburg is a magical city and you should visit there sometime in your life. The sooner the better. It is very easy to walk and take public transit anywhere you need to go. You can find reasonable, nice, comfortable apartments at a good price. Oksana's is one source to check for apartments. They provided us with excellent service, will pick you up at airport at a price you won't find from driver's at airport, and provide your registration for a reasonable fee. Ten days there eating half our meals, at least, at the apartment and we didn't spend $400 for the both of us on food.

You won't have any problem getting in.

Brad, PM me and I'll send you a link to a webiste with many, many photos of St Petersburg from last October.

Timeline:

17 Nov 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

03 Apr 2009 - NOA2 approval (email)

09 Apr 2009 - NVC received

13 Apr 2009 - Sent to Embassy

23 Jun 2009 - Interview date USEM - Posted USEM website 30 Apr 2009

Vika and I keep kicking around a possible trip to SP next year, and I will of course be the only one with a problem getting in :unsure:

GO!!! St Petersburg is a magical city and you should visit there sometime in your life. The sooner the better. It is very easy to walk and take public transit anywhere you need to go. You can find reasonable, nice, comfortable apartments at a good price. Oksana's is one source to check for apartments. They provided us with excellent service, will pick you up at airport at a price you won't find from driver's at airport, and provide your registration for a reasonable fee. Ten days there eating half our meals, at least, at the apartment and we didn't spend $400 for the both of us on food.

You won't have any problem getting in.

Brad, PM me and I'll send you a link to a webiste with many, many photos of St Petersburg from last October.

Will do, thanks! SP is near the top of our ever-growing list of places to go. I just bought tickets for Vika and I to travel back to Ukraine - I will follow two weeks after she goes in September, and she comes back three weeks after me. We are hopeful that this trip we will actually get to visit Turkey. She has been to SP once or twice years ago, but I have never been. It seems that for a USP, I will need to do a little more advance planning than most of the other places we want to visit post-green card.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.