minme

Denmark marriage to Brazilian

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Back again with another interesting question!!

Background:

I am an American Citizen and my fiance is a Brazilian Citizen. She is currently in London, but will be traveling to France.

We have been looking for a place to get married without me having to go to Brazil (which requires a VISA on my end), and without having to get a K-1.

I found out that Denmark is the Las Vegas of Europe for getting married: http://www.examiner.com/x-6661-Milwaukee-E...iage-in-Denmark

My questions are:

Is a Denmark marriage certificate valid in the US (after translation of course)?

Where would we have to plan to have the interview for her? (Brazil or Denmark, or can we have it wherever we want)

Thanks!!

PS: If anyone has any better suggestions as to where we should marry, I would appreciate it. The things we want to avoid are me having to get a Brazilian VISA and her coming here on a fiance VISA.

AOS, EAD, AP:

07-22-10 : Sent packet

07-23-10 : Delivered

07-29-10 : NOA1 (all 3)

08-31-10 : Biometrics appt

08-31-10 : I-485 case transferred to CSC

Touched 09-01-10 (I-485 and I-765)

09-03-10 : Transfer hard copy

Touched 09-09-10 (I-485)

09-13-10 : I-765 & I-131 Approved!

Touched 09-17-10 (I-485 and I-765)

09-17-10 : I-512 Received (AP)

09-20-10 : Received EAD

10-20-10 : AOS Approved!!

10-21-10 : AOS Card Production

10-28-10 : Green Card Received!

07-2012 : Apply for Lifting of conditions

My questions are:

Is a Denmark marriage certificate valid in the US (after translation of course)? :yes:

Where would we have to plan to have the interview for her?

Where is she a legal resident of? (Spousal/fiancé interview can take place in the country he/she is a resident of - no reason otherwise she would need to go to her home country.)

K-3 interviews take place in the country in which the marriage took place (unless you are married in the U.S., in which case the interview will be in the beneficiary's country of residence).

CR-1 interviews take place in the beneficiary's country of residence.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

oops double posted

Edited by imaisha

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
PS: If anyone has any better suggestions as to where we should marry, I would appreciate it. The things we want to avoid are me having to get a Brazilian VISA and her coming here on a fiance VISA.

For whatever it is worth, it takes maybe 2 weeks to get a tourist visa for Brasil and with respect to K3 vs K1, you have less paperwork with K1. K3 needs all the marriage paperwork most likely translated plus signed statements from people that were at your wedding. Plus, if you ever need copies of that stuff you'll need to deal with the Brazilian or Dane governments. K1 is easy.

NOA 2. Really?

Timeline
K-3 interviews take place in the country in which the marriage took place (unless you are married in the U.S., in which case the interview will be in the beneficiary's country of residence).

CR-1 interviews take place in the beneficiary's country of residence.

Great thanks for that info - I actually was looking to go for the CR-1, as it seems like a better option (even though it takes longer sometimes)

For whatever it is worth, it takes maybe 2 weeks to get a tourist visa for Brasil and with respect to K3 vs K1, you have less paperwork with K1. K3 needs all the marriage paperwork most likely translated plus signed statements from people that were at your wedding. Plus, if you ever need copies of that stuff you'll need to deal with the Brazilian or Dane governments. K1 is easy.

The problem is that I was worried that the K1 might be denied due to my employment status - I just graduated this year and have been self-employed for some time, so my tax returns do not necessarily show that I make the required income. I was thinking about going with the CR-1 since I was planning to travel with my fiance, and maybe even to Brazil after we get married. Thanks for the info on the tourist visa though.

All the translation has to be done anyway - so that is not something I am too worried about.

AOS, EAD, AP:

Touched 09-09-10 (I-485)

Timeline
Thanks for the info on the tourist visa though.

All the translation has to be done anyway - so that is not something I am too worried about.

You can't escape the money requirements...even if you find a way now, you'll still need to meet the minimums when your wife files for AOS. Why make your life harder than it needs to be? Just get the sponsor now... :whistle:

NOA 2. Really?

Timeline
You can't escape the money requirements...even if you find a way now, you'll still need to meet the minimums when your wife files for AOS. Why make your life harder than it needs to be? Just get the sponsor now... :whistle:

Well I was going to use one of my parents as a sponsor...will that cause any issues? I just figured that it would less likely that the visa is denied if we are already married...

AOS, EAD, AP:

Touched 09-09-10 (I-485)

Timeline

Well I was going to use one of my parents as a sponsor...will that cause any issues? I just figured that it would less likely that the visa is denied if we are already married...

As long as the relationship is real, they won't deny you because a parent is a sponsor. Read the threads here, lots of people get approved that wouldn't have the chance without a sponsor. The bigger deal is proving an ongoing relationship with pictures, boarding passes, phone records, things like that...and having a fiancee that knows everything about you and your family at the interview. The government is like everyone else, they want to do the least amount of work possible, so give 'em the info they need to check off their boxes and usually, you'll be set.

NOA 2. Really?

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

We got married in Denmark. The marriage certificate is not a problem as it is in both English AND Danish. After we got married, I returned to the US and had my SSN and driver license changed with that marriage certificate, then changed my passport through the American Embassy in Denmark.

My suggestion would be to file the CR-1. The K-3 is no longer faster than the CR-1, and you avoid additional filings at a later date.

Timeline
We got married in Denmark. The marriage certificate is not a problem as it is in both English AND Danish. After we got married, I returned to the US and had my SSN and driver license changed with that marriage certificate, then changed my passport through the American Embassy in Denmark.

My suggestion would be to file the CR-1. The K-3 is no longer faster than the CR-1, and you avoid additional filings at a later date.

Just curious - it sounds like you are the US citizen, is that right?

I actually was planning on the CR-1. It looks like the best bet

Thanks

AOS, EAD, AP:

Touched 09-09-10 (I-485)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.