Kevin-

Concern on 129F question 13

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone.

I'm new here, getting ready to file for K1. This site is an awesome resource!

I couldn't find the answer to this using search or the FAQs. I have a concern regarding question 13 on the I-129F. I would assume typically the petitioner puts their current address in this field. My situation is at least slightly unusual.

Complication 1: I know I will not be living at my current address when my fiancee gets here, but I do not know what the new address will be. I probably will not be moving from my current address until after we get receive NOA2.

Complication 2: Our church frowns upon couples living together before marriage. I imagine this is not an entirely unique circumstance. In a normal (non-immigration) situation we would only live together after getting married. Problems with that for us are: (a) she will be very unfamiliar and uncomfortable in the US and should absolutely not be living alone between arrival and the wedding. (b) maybe it's required by law for her to live at my address? If (b) is false, then (a) is still an issue unless a really nice family at church offers to house her during that time. If (a) is solved in that way, then how do I handle all of this within the paperwork?

We're willing to bend the "rules" as far as occupying the same domicile before the wedding, if there's no practical or legal way around it. Basically I wonder if this really matters... how critical is the accuracy of my answer to this question on this form at the time she arrives here?

Edited by Kevin-

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Hi everyone.

I couldn't find the answer to this using search or the FAQs. I have a concern regarding question 13 on the I-129F. I would assume typically the petitioner puts their current address in this field. My situation is at least slightly unusual.

Complication 1: I know I will not be living at my current address when my fiancee gets here, but I do not know what the new address will be. I probably will not be moving from my current address until after we get receive NOA2.

Complication 2: Our church frowns upon couples living together before marriage. I imagine this is not an entirely unique circumstance. In a normal (non-immigration) situation we would only live together after getting married. Problems with that for us are: (a) she will be very unfamiliar and uncomfortable in the US and should absolutely not be living alone between arrival and the wedding. (B) maybe it's required by law for her to live at my address? If (B) is false, then (a) is still an issue unless a really nice family at church offers to house her during that time. If (a) is solved in that way, then how do I handle all of this within the paperwork?

We're willing to bend the "rules" as far as occupying the same domicile before the wedding, if there's no practical or legal way around it. Basically I wonder if this really matters... how critical is the accuracy of my answer to this question on this form at the time she arrives here?

There would be nothing wrong with her temporarily living in a safe place before marriage. Immigration is going to be more

interested in you getting married and filing the proper paperwork. And of course that you enter into a legitimate marriage.

Regards,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everyone.

Complication 2: Our church frowns upon couples living together before marriage. I imagine this is not an entirely unique circumstance. In a normal (non-immigration) situation we would only live together after getting married. Problems with that for us are: (a) she will be very unfamiliar and uncomfortable in the US and should absolutely not be living alone between arrival and the wedding. (B) maybe it's required by law for her to live at my address? If (B) is false, then (a) is still an issue unless a really nice family at church offers to house her during that time. If (a) is solved in that way, then how do I handle all of this within the paperwork?

1. Put your current address, you have nothing else to put. When your fiancee fills out her DS156 you can put your new address, she will know it by the time of the interview

2. It is not required by law for her to live at your address, before OR after marriage, of course it gets difficult to prove a bona fide marriage if you do not live together, but there is no law, per se, that says you MUST live at the same address. The US government does not tell people where they must live. (yet)

I cannot comment on moral issues, that is your choice.

I would STILL list your current address as where she will live. You are allowed to change your mind. If you move during the process be sure to notify USCIS so you do not miss any mailings. As atated above, your fiancee will fill out a visa application when she has her interview, by then you will have sorted out your moral dilemma and have an address she can list.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi everyone.

I am in a similar situation, presently deployed overseas and not maintaining a stateside US address, I put *SEE ATTACHED LETTER in that question field and explained my problem,

and that I would update my address once I returned home, this was enough to get our packet "in line" and get an NoA1. The beauty of the I-129F's wait time is that you have time to amend it before it gets a close look. I don't know what your time table looks like, it would probably be safer to use your present address and notify USCIS when you move.

I can only offer my opinion, and that is the challenges posed by this process will demand compromises and sacrifice from both of you. Do what you think is right, I do not think God would

frown on you living as man and wife after dealing with the US immigration system. It's not like you could live in sin very long, the K-1 visa only gives you 90 days to work with.

Happily married, waiting to file to remove conditions on permanent residence in next 2 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm overly concerned with being 110% accurate, heheh.

The US government does not tell people where they must live. (yet)

Yeah, "Yet." ... I'll refrain from further political commentary ;)

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm overly concerned with being 110% accurate, heheh.

The US government does not tell people where they must live. (yet)

Yeah, "Yet." ... I'll refrain from further political commentary ;)

Then the "accurate" address is what is true and correct when you (and later, your fiancee) complete the necessary forms. There is nothing else you can tell them.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.