Battle Geek

Consular Phase question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

According to the statistics page the average Consular phase (embassy receives info from NVC until actual interview)

would take 60 days! My fiancee's gotten all the medical exams, police reports, etc.. that she needs ready and waiting,

is that what the wait time is based on or does the embassy itself add 2 months of red tape?

Happily married, waiting to file to remove conditions on permanent residence in next 2 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
According to the statistics page the average Consular phase (embassy receives info from NVC until actual interview)

would take 60 days! My fiancee's gotten all the medical exams, police reports, etc.. that she needs ready and waiting,

is that what the wait time is based on or does the embassy itself add 2 months of red tape?

keep in mind, some people take their time to send in their packages, and it takes a little while to get the packages (first to you, and then back to the consulate) so this is included in the time, plus all the other visa's that they process that must also have interviews. 2 months is just an average, some might be significantly faster if they return everything right away by priority mail instead of regular mail, and also depending on the season and how many petitions are going through at that time. Same as VJ, when there is a boom on here, theres a boom in apps, which means there will be an increase in interviews for them to deal with too.

Be glad you arent going through mine, the average is 93 days, though I know about 2 weeks of that is them getting my documents sent out to me (by snail mail :()

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

varies greatly by consulate. the consulate webpage should show a time frame for interview appointmenst and bear in mid that means from when they receive the petition which is usually 2-3 weeks after NOA2, IF there is no delay at NVC. Kiev can currently get you an interview in 4 days...but your fiancee has to be from Ukraine.

Our interview, last year, took longer from NOA2 to interview than NOA1 to NOA2...50 % longer.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

keep in mind, some people take their time to send in their packages, and it takes a little while to get the packages (first to you, and then back to the consulate) so this is included in the time, plus all the other visa's that they process that must also have interviews. 2 months is just an average, some might be significantly faster if they return everything right away by priority mail instead of regular mail, and also depending on the season and how many petitions are going through at that time. Same as VJ, when there is a boom on here, theres a boom in apps, which means there will be an increase in interviews for them to deal with too.

Be glad you arent going through mine, the average is 93 days, though I know about 2 weeks of that is them getting my documents sent out to me (by snail mail :()

I'm confused... are you saying there's an average 2 month backlog of interview appointments? This could significantly alter our plans

Happily married, waiting to file to remove conditions on permanent residence in next 2 years.

Timeline

I'm confused... are you saying there's an average 2 month backlog of interview appointments? This could significantly alter our plans

no, i'm saying that 2 month average that you were saying includes the time it takes the info packet (packet 3) to get to your fiancee, and for her to send it back to them as well as any backlog (in this case, probably about a month) the average time people wait for their P3's from the consulate is about 2 weeks, and the average on VJ also takes into consideration people who took a long time to send their P3 back.

Just as a rough example, if you got through NVC on the 1st, you might expect your package to get to NVC within a week (depending on the consulate). They send everything via DHS overnight from NVC but for some countries it can take a couple days just due to the travel distance. Lets say it take your package 3 days. It would actually be sent out on the 2nd if they told you it was being forwarded on the 1st, so the embassy would receive it on the 5th. Now they have to send the packet 3 to your fiancee, usually takes a week or 2 for her to get it. If she sends it right back, she might get an interview in the next month (usually the embassy's book the next months appointments in the first 2 or last 2 weeks of the month, depending on the consulate and depending on how busy they are).

Now if she takes 3 months to send it back, her time would be 4 months to interview. Because an average is the addition of all the timeframs divided by the number of people, thats why you get 2 months.

Another example, my embassy shows 93 days. It takes about a week to get P3, I'm sending it back priority. Right now most people who send it back right away are getting their interviews in the 72ish range, so if I get my P3 this week, I may get a September interview if I am lucky.

Now I can't say for sure your embassy isnt backlogged 2 months, they might be if a large number of australian petitions came in in the last little bit, they can only do so many interviews a day. The best way to guage it is to hop on the Australian section of the forums and see if they have a list of people waiting for interviews and see what their timeframes are like.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=90

^^ Thats the forums for the Aussies, I would try posting there to see if some of the more recent interviewee's can tell you how long it took, you might get a few more responses as to what you are looking at for actual timeframes. :D Good Luck and best wishes for a speedy visa journey!

OH! I also forgot to mention, some consulates ask you for preffered dates or if you have wedding plans made, so because you have a November wedding wish, I would put that down when she sends back the P3, they may or may not honor the request but its worth a shot!

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hopefully you aren't making any plans until your visa is in hand. AP at NVC can set you back two months and that is before it gets to the consulate at all. It is very unwise to make any substantial plans prior to holding the visa.

If you called Kiev today, you could get an appointment for Friday, provided all your documents are prepared, and that is as fast as any consulate in the world...but it takes 3 weeks to get there from NOA2 and another week after that to get your visa, so the fastest I know of is 5 weeks from NOA2. But many consulates send out packet 3 which has to be returned to the consulate with all the documents and THEN the interview is scheduled. Some are several months AFTER they get the documents back which is a couple months after the NOA2 date and that is IF there is no hold up at NVC

Last year I called Kiev on June 3 with the happy news that all our documents were prepared (they were all prepared long before then but that was the day the case was entered in their system) and we needed an interview appointment. First available was August 7, more than two months. Now they are running 4 days.

Average times mean nothing to you, check the consulate website which should have some information on when interviews are available after documents are received...if that is how that consulate does things.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.