chelseakevin

Drivers license NY state

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hello

my fiance has entered the United States on the k1 visa

we just received his Social Security card and are getting married july 30th.

we are just wondering how to go about getting a drivers license does he have to take a road test? or a written test ?

thanks

OUR TIME LINE <3

[*]met in New Zealand april 19th 2006

[*]kevin came to new york for 3 weeks dec 2006-jan2007

[*]chelsea went to england for 3 weeks may 2007

[*]kevin came to live with me in ny for 6 months july 2007

[*]chelsea went to live in england jan 2008 Nov - 2008

* CHelsea moves back to USA.

* Kevin Comes To NY for the holidays December - Jan

* waiting for the interview date So I can go to england for it!

Wedding - JULY 30th 2009 so excited!

[*]sent application to vermont service center july 15th 2008

[*]NOA1 Aug. 5th 2008

[*]NOA2 APPLICATION APPROVED 11/28/2008

* Medical 1-26-2009

* waiting for visa date

hello

we are just wondering how to go about getting a drivers license does he have to take a road test? or a written test ?

thanks

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#identification

Drivers From Other Nations

A valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS. You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a resident of NYS.

According to NYS law, a resident of another country can get a NYS driver license. The DMV does not recommend this because:

NYS recognizes your foreign driver license if you remain a resident of the nation that issued the license. You do not need to have a NYS driver license to drive in NYS unless you become a resident of NYS.

If you have a driver license from any nation except Canada, you must pass a written test, complete a 5-hour pre-licensing course and pass a road test to qualify for a NYS driver license. See "New Drivers - How to Apply".

You must show a Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter or form SSA-L676 from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible. The SSA Letter or form must have been issued no more than 30 days before the date of your application. You must also show the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents that the SSA used to determine that you are not eligible for a Social Security Card. The USCIS was formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Read the specific requirements on the identification requirements page.

When you receive your NYS driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license.

Edited by Dias Melhores

Our Story so far...

K-1

7/26/07- I-129F sent to CSC

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/12/08- Interview in Rio- APPROVED!

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

3/04/08- AOS, EAD and AP mailed

4/07/08- RFE

4/11/08- AOS, EAD and AP re-mailed

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

11/07/08- Greencard Approved!

11/22/08- Greencard Received

Gabriel was born on January 12, 2010!

Moving this to the Moving Here and Your New Life in America forum as that where we usually move driver's licence questions (and there are quite a few existing threads in there on the topic the OP might like to read). Hopefully some NY residents will be able to give you further answers and their own experience. :)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi,

A valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS. You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a resident of NYS.

it is my understanding that if your fiance already has a dl from the UK, he should be fine for the moment, as long as he is not looking at employment where he is required to have a NYS driver's license.

i think we had to wait until my husband got his working papers b/f he could apply for his dl (he did not have a dl in his country).

he had to take the written test first, the 5-hour course, and then the road test.

good luck!

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
hi,

it is my understanding that if your fiance already has a dl from the UK, he should be fine for the moment, as long as he is not looking at employment where he is required to have a NYS driver's license.

i think we had to wait until my husband got his working papers b/f he could apply for his dl (he did not have a dl in his country).

he had to take the written test first, the 5-hour course, and then the road test.

good luck!

hz

Hello,

I'm living in NYS-

I have to take my written test, 5 hours of courses and the road test. They never asked me to surrender my foreign driving licence.

Be aware that if in the DMV website, they told you that you can use your international driving licence to drive, and take your NYS driving licence after being a resident (I don't know exactly how they presented it), that is the DMV's point of view-

A police agent can decide that if you are living more than 90 days, you are a NY resident-What is not true.

My husband and me, we were unable to know really what to do, anybody was able to help us, and even DMV don't know how all those thing function.

Edited by MIDUVIL

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi ChelseaKevin,

I too am a NYS resident and have my NYS driver's license.

However, my situation is a little bit different from yours as I did the following instead:

-Before I got my 2yr Green Card, I just drove with my Canadian Driver's License, as it was still valid and I wasn't legally a US Resident yet until after I got my US green card. But after I got my green card.....

-2006-11: Got my 2yr US Green Card (based on AOS from Visitor's Visa)

-2007-01: SSN Card Received (delayed due to immigration status verification)

-2007-01: Then I got an application from the DMV for my NYS driver's license, and got my NYS license afterwards.

-Went to the DMV with the following identification and residency proof: SSN Card, US Green Card/I-551, US Marriage Certificate, Utility Bill

-As well, I went with my Canadian Driver's license, as I was going to "directly transfer" my Canadian Driver's license for a US one, with no further testing required for people who have Canadian driver's licenses. I didn't have to do the written or the road tests, and only did an easy eye test, which I passed. They did though take my Canadian driver's license away, since I was exchanging it for a US one (lol..I don't need two driver's licenses anyways, especially a former Canadian one that was in my maiden last name).

And 10 minutes later....-I got my NYS temporary paper license

-I got the actual NYS Driver's license card (in my married last name) in the mail 1-2 weeks afterwards...

-My NYS driver's license is valid for 5 years....(lol..longer than my 2yr green card...go figure...)

-Overall, I found the NYS DMV to be quite nice and helpful....The best government agency here in the USA, in my opinion!.... :thumbs:

Other useful links for you in obtaining a NYS driver's license:

-Application for NYS driver's licence that you can fill out, print, and bring to you when you go to the DMV:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv44.pdf

-Proof of Identification and NYS residency that you can print out here and bring to you when you go to the DMV:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44.pdf

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your immigration and DMV journey too.

Ant

hello

thanks

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.