Chris S.

HELLO ALL!! Just paid the $70 and $400 fee....NEXT STEP?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Maldives
Timeline

Hey everyone!!

I have been browsing the website for sometime, but never have posted yet! This is such a great website for information regarding visa's :)

Anyway, here is my situation......

I filed for the I-130 in March, got the process expedited (military) and it was approved by the USCIS in April (may have been May, can't really recall) and sent to the NVC.

Now at the NVC, I am at the step where I have just paid the $70 fee and now the $400 fee....and I am just curious what the next step is going to be?

I actually paid the $400 fee without receiving any notice in the mail, i logged into the "online payment" to check the status of my $70 payment, and then at the bottom it showed that $400 was needed, so i just went ahead and paid it, knowing that it will have to be eventually paid anyway.

one last question, from when you pay the $400 fee, about how long until the spouse can actually enter the United States? I am thinking a few months probably? 3-5?

Thanks in advance!! :thumbs:

p.s. I am a US Citizen and my wife is a Maldivian citizen (her nearest consulate is in Sri Lanka)

Hey everyone!!

I have been browsing the website for sometime, but never have posted yet! This is such a great website for information regarding visa's :)

I filed for the I-130 in March, got the process expedited (military) and it was approved by the USCIS in April (may have been May, can't really recall) and sent to the NVC.

Now at the NVC, I am at the step where I have just paid the $70 fee and now the $400 fee....and I am just curious what the next step is going to be?

I actually paid the $400 fee without receiving any notice in the mail, i logged into the "online payment" to check the status of my $70 payment, and then at the bottom it showed that $400 was needed, so i just went ahead and paid it, knowing that it will have to be eventually paid anyway.

one last question, from when you pay the $400 fee, about how long until the spouse can actually enter the United States? I am thinking a few months probably? 3-5?

p.s. I am a US Citizen and my wife is a Maldivian citizen (her nearest consulate is in Sri Lanka)

Read up on the NVC guides up above on WIKI, its listed step by step and what to expect after each step. There are 2 exaples of NVC guides to follow, they are both exceptional. Jmaes and Lin chings

Edited by Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Thanks a lot for your timely response, I have looked at the Wiki site...it just confuses the hell out of me! haha

I know, read it again. slower, and it will make sence. But your well on your way, and that is good!!! :)

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

No, everyone must complete that step.

Here is an outline of the NVC process: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/NVC_Pr...wchart_v1-2.pdf

And though they won't really be shortcuts at this point, this page will be useful: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...he_NVC_ShortCut

In particular read from section 10 on.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Timeline

Okay I understand,

So it looks like i will have to send only two more forms...the I-864 (AOS) and then the DS-230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration)

This is just getting a bit confusing to me.

So Imaisha.....was i correct on that at this point it should take a few months longer?

Thanks for your response :)

hey there.

now the first step is download I-864 , fill and send ur IRS TAX2006,2007,2008and sent to NVC

then download DS-230 and send to NVC with ur wife BIRTH CERT, MARRIAGE CERT, PHOTOS AND PASSPORT COPIES AND POLICE REPORT.

That is what i did, good luck

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Okay I understand,

So it looks like i will have to send only two more forms...the I-864 (AOS) and then the DS-230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration)

So Imaisha.....was i correct on that at this point it should take a few months longer?

Chris, how long it takes at this stage is totally dependent on your individual position. I had all of my packages prepared and ready to go before getting to NVC and it still took 37 days for them to complete it. You'll have to do some research on how to acquire the police reports and other certificates and how long those will take. It also depends on how prepared you are financially and if you have the appropriate documentation to hand for that as well. I also don't know how long the wait for an interview in Sri Lanka will be. Some embassies are busier than others. Maybe someone else has some experience with that one in particular. Best advice, get started on preparing your packages now, you don't want to lose any more time. Best case scenario you could be done in 3-4 months. That's a best case. It could obviously take much longer...

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Timeline
Okay I understand,

Chris, how long it takes at this stage is totally dependent on your individual position. I had all of my packages prepared and ready to go before getting to NVC and it still took 37 days for them to complete it. You'll have to do some research on how to acquire the police reports and other certificates and how long those will take. It also depends on how prepared you are financially and if you have the appropriate documentation to hand for that as well. I also don't know how long the wait for an interview in Sri Lanka will be. Some embassies are busier than others. Maybe someone else has some experience with that one in particular. Best advice, get started on preparing your packages now, you don't want to lose any more time. Best case scenario you could be done in 3-4 months. That's a best case. It could obviously take much longer...

Thank you Imaisha for your help,

I sent the AOS packet to the NVC today, overnight USPS......

Now I have to have my wife send me the birth certificate, police records and passport photos then i can send the IV packet off...

Do you know if a certified copy of the birth certificate and Police records can be FAXED? or would that be considered photo copying?

I think I may just take a wallet size photo of my wife and just try to enlarge it and make it like a passport photo.....its the same format as the passport photos, just smaller...

Again, thanks for your help.

I feel like the process is going a lot faster than i thought, I just submitted the I-130 about 2 months ago and now I am pretty much done :)

paid the 400 and the 70 fee.. now while still waiting for the passport of sophie what i did first is send the i864 coversheet together with the supporting docs? is it okay if i wait till we get the response from nvc first and wait till passport of sophie comes before we send the ds230 back? im so confused coz last time what we did was i864 and ds230 altogether..help

Timeline
paid the 400 and the 70 fee.. now while still waiting for the passport of sophie what i did first is send the i864 coversheet together with the supporting docs? is it okay if i wait till we get the response from nvc first and wait till passport of sophie comes before we send the ds230 back? im so confused coz last time what we did was i864 and ds230 altogether..help

good question,

I actually called NVC TODAY and asked that same question..they said that I can go ahead and send the DS-230 off as well....so i'm sure it is the same in your case...

I, unfortunately can not send off the Ds-230 yet because I have to wait till ig et some documents from my wife :(...so sad for me and my wife..blahhh

thanks the deal is im scared as my 2 year old minor child we are petitioning still missing her passport copies which is the only one that we are unfortunately missing ..is it okay? if we wait..for the remaning paperworks or the checklist for ds230 before turning them in..will it cause any trouble with her case? coz im not sure how long will i get it..

Okay I understand,

Thank you Imaisha for your help,

I sent the AOS packet to the NVC today, overnight USPS......

Now I have to have my wife send me the birth certificate, police records and passport photos then i can send the IV packet off...

Do you know if a certified copy of the birth certificate and Police records can be FAXED? or would that be considered photo copying?

I think I may just take a wallet size photo of my wife and just try to enlarge it and make it like a passport photo.....its the same format as the passport photos, just smaller...

Again, thanks for your help.

I feel like the process is going a lot faster than i thought, I just submitted the I-130 about 2 months ago and now I am pretty much done :)

You need originals for the interview. I've been told that you can send copies with the DS230 and then you'll be told to bring the originals. BUT I waited for the originals because I'd rather not get an RFE. I keep track of the people who filed in February and right now the average wait after the last package is sent is 24 days to case completion. So, if you were to send everything off tomorrow, your case would be complete approximately July 17th. Which would mean then that August would be the earliest you would be contacted about a September interview. But it is possible that you may have to wait another month depending on the availability of interviews in the embassy.

HTH

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: Timeline
Hey everyone!!

We are roughly at the same stage as you. Once you pay the fees and they are confirmed, the webpage will provide a link to the documents you need to fill out. Basically one of the I-864 forms and DS-230 forms. After about a week you should again get an email from NVC confirming this same information. You should start collecting the support documentation needed for each of these forms.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.