nickandkayte

Stages of preparation for leaving...And a question!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Okay just a couple of questions, I am having a bit of a hard time right now since my fella is moving from VA to FL after leaving the Navy and I dont have him to help me try to figure stuff out, (Overworked and underpaid....And stressed!).

My Petition was received May 19th 2009 by the Vermont service center... I was told by our Lawyers we wouldn't hear from them before October, so I wouldn't be in the USA before January 2010? However when looking at the time-lines on here, and reading some other member's time lines, it seems everyone else has processed a lot quicker, whether it be this year or a few years ago... I am just trying to get ready and I need to give enough notice to my 3 jobs, as well as getting my dog ready for transport! So if anyone can make a rough estimate guess (Yes I have used the timeline on this website!) it would be much appreciated as my guessing and working out is no good!

Another random question...

What did you do to prepare for the upheaval?

So far I have been packing a few boxes and selling my DVDs and books on eBay. Paying off my student debt, paying off loans, phone contracts, credit cards. I think I should have that finished by August with my current financial plan.

However after all of this I don't know what else I need to do? I have 3 suitcases of clothes and shoes ready to go, filling in my tax form to get my taxes back, and organising shipping for various thing.

I know it sounds silly but I cant afford to fly back for at least 4 years after moving to the USA, so I am trying to remember everything I possibly can, but at present my brain is to exhausted and I feel like there's something I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much

(A very tired and confused) Kayte :-)

12/31/2009 - Married

01/08/2010- Mailed in AOS

01/13/2010- AOS received and sent back due to missing signature

01/22/2010- AOS arrives back at my house, signed, sent off again

01/27/2010- Receipt number given, huzzahhh! NOA1

01/29/2010- Money taken out :'(

02/02/2010- Touch

02/06/2010- Biometrics Appointment, 16th Feb at 2:00pm .... Also happens to be my 21st Birthday!!

02/07/2010- Sent in Medical to Chicago office

02/09/2010- Got a RFE for medical.....Sent reply letter 2 days earlier due to forgetting to include vaccination data.

02/10/2010- Sent a 2nd copy of medical to MO office.

02/16/2010- 21st birthday, Biometrics done, and a letter saying my case is on "hold" from the 7th of Feb, in a email...

02/17/2010- Touch

02/23/2010- Letter to congressman

02/24/2010- RFE Received and processing resumed.

02/25/2010- Case transferred to CSC

03/24/2010- Work permit printed

03/28/2010- Work permit received (After writing to the congressman...Again...)

07/01/2010- Call to Senator about Green card, Call to USCIS, Nothing... Told to wait another 2 months and then possibly another 4 months.

07/01/2010- Touch on I-485/Green card...

07/02/2010- Second touch on I-485/Green card, No notifications....

07/07/2010- Told at info pass that my application is being sent to west palm from CSC

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

07/14/2010- Touch on I-485

Here's the most current stats that you have to add up NOA1>Approval>NVC>London>Interview

k1vschistory.gifnoa2-nvcr-history.gif

nvc2consul-history.giflondon-k1doshistory.gif

You have to notice the dips and peaks. Back at the lowest dip in the first graph is when we got approval, but it got much longer for subsequent months. You never know which way the average could change by the time you are at the various stages. So assuming you're totally average then about 6.5 months from your NOA1 which is before Christmas. Some are more efficient and do a quick turnaround with their London things while others take awhile to gather their documents, so it could be faster or slower depending on your efficiency the the thoroughness of your documents.

I can't help but wonder why there was 2 months between your submission and NOA1? That should have taken a week. Using a lawyer sometimes takes longer because they send things when they want to. People who do their own tend to get on it and get the stuff in. They also are totally prepared with their London things before London even sends them instructions of what to prepare. London gets their file and BAM the forms/checklist are in the mail back to them next day. They know if they want a faster interview, to fill in a very early wedding date and planned travel date. That seems to jump you to the top of the heap when they are passing out interviews. So if you have to wait on your lawyer to tell you a step, then you comply and send to him, then his staff gets around to mailing it...well it could add some time so factor that into your "guesstimates".

And I'd kindly like to give you some advice to take or leave. You are WAY ahead of your self by packing and wondering when to quit your jobs. You will be a total basket case before this is over because the wait becomes so seemingly endless when you have no control over how long it's going to take other people to approve each step and move you to the next. You will get become a visa-zilla and get moody and depressed and your relationship could suffer. I've been around awhile and I see it happen. I know a number of breakups during the process.

So I suggest you work as long as you can and save up money. I see it all the time that people have failed to plan on the expenses after getting here. As soon as you get to the US, you will need $1010 to file for your green card, not to mention marriage certificate, wedding, a Civil Surgeon (if you leave shots to be taken later in the US), and maybe more lawyer fees. I think the smartest plan is to have the visa in hand (passport) before you give notice at your jobs. Work your notice period and then start seriously planning the move, booking tickets, etc. You've got 6 months to use that visa so don't think you have to get on the next plane to the US, even if you want to. Don't count your chickens before they hatch isn't a bad motto. Better safe than sorry. Fools rush in. Don't ya just love my Mama Nich talk? Sorry, but that's what I am. (L) Good luck for all your dreams to come true, but don't be too intense getting there.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I think that estimate is about right. You have months yet to go.

It's a bit easier to tell once you are approved, the steps are much shorter (though numerous).

Nik tells me that standard notice period is 30 days, and unless you are trying to fly out the day after you receive your visa, you'll want to book about that far out to take advantage of decent prices anyway. If you feel tight on cash, don't give notice until you have the visa. If there are any hold ups (and they CAN happen even at the late stage of the interview or after), you'll be out of a job AND not able to move here.

Three jobs! Wow! I'd be stressed and tired too.

Check out the sticky thread at the top of the forums about bringing pets here. I haven't read it (Nik's not bringing pets), but it must have some useful information. Plan for some vet bills, I'm sure there will be some provision about good health. Check into that soon.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Hey there thanks for the advice.

The reason for needing the job notice is mainly because there is no one to fill my spot currently, and they need as much "Estimated" notice as possible. I dont plan on leaving the second the visa is through my door. :-) As I guess I will need a bit more money than estimated earlier!

Yeah I figured I was a little ahead of myself, I am currently working in to the ground to save up for everything over there, and paying off everything ahead of time so I can save that little bit more.

I am wondering about my lawyers... We started the whole "Gathering Information" in December and because they needed original signatures on everything, I had to spend 2 weeks at a time waiting for them to receive my documents from the UK. It was a nightmare! I wish we had done it ourselves but we didn't find this website soon enough :(. I think they are pretty good as we have had friends go through them, but for the AOS I am going to do that all myself.

I think I am just getting a bit annoyed at my Fiancee right now as I seem to be the one saying "LOOK! We have to save for a house, wedding, yada yada" and he seems to think he can take 2 months off after the Navy and walk right in to a job... Its frustrating because hes known nothing other than that. And he doesn't seem to understand that he needs to prove he can support me on his wages and NOT his GI bill....Bahh!

I think your right about the visa-zilla. I definitely need a lot more nights out and some good wine....And Chocolate instead of sitting in planning.

Edited by nickandkayte

12/31/2009 - Married

02/02/2010- Touch

02/06/2010- Biometrics Appointment, 16th Feb at 2:00pm .... Also happens to be my 21st Birthday!!

02/09/2010- Got a RFE for medical.....Sent reply letter 2 days earlier due to forgetting to include vaccination data.

02/16/2010- 21st birthday, Biometrics done, and a letter saying my case is on "hold" from the 7th of Feb, in a email...

02/17/2010- Touch

07/01/2010- Call to Senator about Green card, Call to USCIS, Nothing... Told to wait another 2 months and then possibly another 4 months.

07/07/2010- Told at info pass that my application is being sent to west palm from CSC

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

Timeline

And I'd kindly like to give you some advice to take or leave. You are WAY ahead of your self by packing and wondering when to quit your jobs. You will be a total basket case before this is over because the wait becomes so seemingly endless when you have no control over how long it's going to take other people to approve each step and move you to the next. You will get become a visa-zilla and get moody and depressed and your relationship could suffer. I've been around awhile and I see it happen. I know a number of breakups during the process.

E r visa -zilla nich.............did you just nich-nick my word???????? :girlwerewolf2xn::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :girlwerewolf2xn:

I totally agree btw.

4650093_bodyshot_300x400_1285472169089.gif

E r visa -zilla nich.............did you just nich-nick my word???????? :girlwerewolf2xn::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :girlwerewolf2xn:

hahahaha I did. I did. :rofl: I Nich-Nicked your word.

Well I do love watching Bridezillas. I think I'll produce a new show called Visa-zilla and use all the hand-wringing and fretting posts here in the UK forum archives as script ideas.

We've got:

• Mrs. SDP and Hannah with gazillions of questions as the supreme worriers.
  • SKParker who seemed to have everything delay them, but somehow made it over the finish line.
  • MARM and the UK Home Office saga with a constant cliff-hanger story of "where is that passport now?"
  • Magpie with a little intrigue to escape the parents.
  • Damian P--smart, laid back, prepared, yet put in the VJ penalty box for 2 days for potty mouth.
  • And Bob and Patricia the poster children ('er parents) of smooth sailing, preparation, patience and understanding what relationships are all about.

I love reality TV and this forum is just as entertaining. God love ya every one. (L)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Well I do love watching Bridezillas. I think I'll produce a new show called Visa-zilla and use all the hand-wringing and fretting posts here in the UK forum archives as script ideas.

We've got:

• SKParker who seemed to have everything delay them, but somehow made it over the finish line.
  • MARM and the UK Home Office saga with a constant cliff-hanger story of "where is that passport now?"
  • Damian P--smart, laid back, prepared, yet put in the VJ penalty box for 2 days for potty mouth.
  • And Bob and Patricia the poster children ('er parents) of smooth sailing, preparation, patience and understanding what relationships are all about.

I love reality TV and this forum is just as entertaining. God love ya every one. (L)

i get copyright pay outs.

We've got:

Magpie with a little intrigue to escape the parents. Damian P--smart, laid back, prepared, yet put in the VJ penalty box for 2 days for potty mouth. And Bob and Patricia the poster children ('er parents) of smooth sailing, preparation, patience and understanding what relationships are all about.

And the story continues...can't help but sit and watch the paint dry, it's taking FOREVER...Once my fiance gets the visa in hand, I don't even want to think about the craziness we have gone through with two different bureaucracies, an incompetent attorney (which I fired after receiving the NOA1), the fears of never reaching the end, the fear of Admin Processing....all will be a distant memory very soon (I hope).

Back to the topic....

Don't plan on anything, especially giving an estimate of when you are going to leave your job (this is a big NO NO :no:) until you get your packet 4 (interview letter) at the least...before that, you never know how long it is going to take. Hopefully things will sail by smoothly for you (as they do for most people going through the US Embassy in London). Also, as far as shipping your stuff into the US, it is way too early to plan that now, I know this process seems so overwhelming, especially when you start off, but take your time to take it all in (especially with 3 jobs, you don't need the added stress of worrying about things too early). Once you get your NOA2, things will move much MUCH MUCH faster, so for now, stick to your job and I don't have to suggest to keep yourself busy while waiting for the NOA2, because I am sure you are more than busy with your work, but if you do find yourself worrying, just stop by VisaJourney and research to your heart's content about the process, other people's dilemmas and experiences, (I, too am a reality tv fan, Nich :yes:) and what to expect as time goes on.

Breathe...and chocolate sounds like a good idea! :yes:

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We've got:

[

Mrs. SDP and Hannah with gazillions of questions as the supreme worriers.

:lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

I totally agree btw.

I dunno, with all these visas being based mostly around marriage, and bridezillas already being well known, I don't think it's a unique jump to visazilla....I'd been calling myself that without ever having read it anywhere. ;)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

I totally agree btw.

I dunno, with all these visas being based mostly around marriage, and bridezillas already being well known, I don't think it's a unique jump to visazilla....I'd been calling myself that without ever having read it anywhere. ;)

yeah but she got it from a thread we were in, jump or not. But hey you are allowed to be one too.......... Bridezilla isnt that well known I think.

to the OP, take your time, learn to be flexible, realise the goalposts are never fixed. xx

P

Filed: Other Timeline

We've got:

:rofl:

Timeline

So yeah...Back on topic!

Just finding things to pass the time is hard at the moment, I dont have any hobbies (Cant afford them!) and all I am doing currently is listing items on ebay and cleaning out my room, daily!

I talk to my Fiancee everyday but he has to go out with his family a lot, so its pretty boring right now... What do you guys do to pass the time?

12/31/2009 - Married

02/02/2010- Touch

02/17/2010- Touch

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

Timeline
So yeah...Back on topic!

Just finding things to pass the time is hard at the moment, I dont have any hobbies (Cant afford them!) and all I am doing currently is listing items on ebay and cleaning out my room, daily!

I talk to my Fiancee everyday but he has to go out with his family a lot, so its pretty boring right now... What do you guys do to pass the time?

try to be as normal as poss and not focus how on how much you miss him/her. u really are selling up a little too early, take your time.

hobbies, i joined cineworld for 13.99 a month unlimited watching of films. took myself out on dates every week, a bit of escapism.

also Alcohol......lol i'm not trying to make you into an alcoholic, just spend as much time with friends and family, say goodbye to things and them.

look for things you love and like about this country and suck it all in a moment of artistic and reverent admiration, store it up for all the times you are going to miss it when you do leave.

or you can just watch tv and sell stuff on Ebay. up to you, do what makes you happy and learn to be flexible.

Timeline

Well i need to sell up early on ebay for the money to pay off credit cards and loans so that I can start saving for my AOS. I dont earn that much a month with all my jobs so money is hard to come by.

I was thinking of the Cineworld thing actually B) , it looks like a good deal but I just need to figure out if I have people to go with LOL! Yeah Alcohol, figured that one out, it literally kills 12 hours at a time ^_^

Other than that, just giving myself a tonne of facials and teaching my dog new tricks :P. I think the summer will be easier when all my friends come home from University.

12/31/2009 - Married

02/02/2010- Touch

02/17/2010- Touch

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.