absolutnina

Can I do everything without a lawyer????

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi!

I am here on the visa waiver program and I am now getting married with my boyfriend. My visa expires July 10th. I have asked several lawyers and the USCIS and they all say I are able to get married on the VWP.

However, I am in the first step of all of this and I don't know where to start?

We are not hiring a lawyer, we have heard that it is just a waste of money. Also, I have bought a book called Fiance and Marriage Visa - A couples guide..., which I have heard will help you through it. I have not yet received it but I am now wondering if there is anyone who has been in my situation that can give me some advice on where to start???

I am a bit confused to tell you the truth! - PLEASE fill me in...

A) We book an appointment at the city hall - bring a money order and boom, we are married, right? Then what?

B) USCIS told me that they will send out a package with all the documents. Is that all the documents I need? Will all the documents be in there- for both me and my husband? Do we send in our medical examination with all those documents?

C) When do i apply for adjusment of status and the greencard?

D) What is the cost for all the different documents?

Thank you for helping me out!

Sincerely,

Nina

Best place to start is at top of page under the heading Guides

:guides:

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

I am here on the visa waiver program and I am now getting married with my boyfriend. My visa expires July 10th. I have asked several lawyers and the USCIS and they all say I are able to get married on the VWP.

Getting married on the visa waiver program is NO PROBLEM. The part where you will run into issues is if you try to stay permanently. IF and only if you entered the country without the intent to stay, but then circumstances changed, you can marry and then adjust status to permanent resident. If you entered on the VWP and intended to adjust status, this is illegal. The burden of proof is on you to show that this is the case. So, if you canceled your lease or sold your home and your car and quit your job to come here, it looks a lot like you came here with intent. Assess your own situation and decide.

The safest way to get through your situation is to get married, and file JUST an I-130 for a CR-1 visa. Then you will need to go back home ON TIME and wait for the visa to be processed (visits ARE ALLOWED!) It's the cheapest, fastest way to get here with a green card in the least risky way, and is my fervent recommendation. I'm sure the idea of being separated from your fiance for most of the duration of your processing time is difficult, BUT I believe it is the least stressful way to go about the process. Most of us here are in the same boat. Start here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide1

However, if you still wish to pursue the adjustment of status....

I'll repeat the warning on the guides, just for extra measure:

If your fiance/fiancee came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, and you are not yet married, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the K-1 visa should be filed (using an I-129f) instead of the I-130 to avoid a denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

If you are already married, and your spouse came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the I-130 (or along with an I-129f for a K-3 Visa) should be filed with the relative outside of the U.S. to avoid denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

The above conditions are serious and can result in the separation of families for many years if not taken seriously.

The rest of my answers depend on the assumption that you entered without intent to emigrate.

We are not hiring a lawyer, we have heard that it is just a waste of money. Also, I have bought a book called Fiance and Marriage Visa - A couples guide..., which I have heard will help you through it. I have not yet received it but I am now wondering if there is anyone who has been in my situation that can give me some advice on where to start???

It is a sometimes bewildering process. Read. Read more. Read again. Read outloud, ask your fiance to read it and then discuss what you understood. Then read it again. Answers on forums will never ever be as comprehensive as reading the answers for your self. Welcome to Visa Journey! And I wish you luck.

A) We book an appointment at the city hall - bring a money order and boom, we are married, right? Then what?

How you get married depends on your state. Google "marriage requirements <state>" or "marriage license <state>" for the specifics. Then you'll need to wait for your marriage certificate to come in the mail. I would suggest getting this taken care of ASAP, because you'll want to have your AOS pending before you become out of status.

B) USCIS told me that they will send out a package with all the documents. Is that all the documents I need? Will all the documents be in there- for both me and my husband? Do we send in our medical examination with all those documents?

NEVER depend on USCIS to send you things. Look at the guides here. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Again, read the guide. You send them all in together. Applying for adjustment of status IS applying for a green card.

$1010 for adjustment. Something around $400 +/- $50 for the I130.

Also check out the other adjustment forum if you have more questions. The K1 forum is no good for this type of question. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=130

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

You can do it all by yourself…

Assuming you have no serious complications, the site is a great resource, and you absolutely need to read everything relevant on the USCIS website. If you are a native speaker of Swedish (even if your English is perfect), I recommend reading the relevant information available in Swedish from the consulate in Sweden. Then, you and your intended can do it yourself if you abide by the following principles:

Make sure you read and understand all the instructions.

Have drafts.

Be meticulous.

Proofread.

As an aside, I personally would not marry on the visa waiver program. As you will need to show that you entered the US as a nonimmigrant, which is hard to prove if you get married and want to stay.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi!

Thank you for helping me out!

Sincerely,

Nina

Yes you can get married. No, you do not need a lawyer, you can do it yourself with exactly the same result. IF you entered with the intent to get married, you will have to apply for a CR-1 visa and return to your country while it is processed (you can visit during this time but bring plenty of evidence you intend to return)

If you DID NOT intend to marry when you entered on the VWP, then you can stay and file for AOS, but be preapred to PROVE you did not intend to get married when you arrived. If they find out you did, you will be deported and barred from any future visas

Read all the guides above. There is also a forum dedicated to this and the moderators will probably move your question there.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.