KromiX

Do I need to Renounce Brazilian Citizenship once I take my oath?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Do I need to Renounce Brazilian Citizenship once I take my oath? And if so, is it easy and what is the cost? Who has done it recently?

usa.gifN-400 Naturalization Timeline

04/01/2009 - Sent Application via USPS Regular Mail

04/09/2009 - Check Cashed

04/13/2009 - Received NOA

04/18/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

04/28/2009 - Biometrics Appointment @ 2:00 PM

05/09/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment

06/03/2009 - Received Yellow Letter requesting to bring Driver's License

07/02/2009 - Interview Date *APPROVED*

07/10/2009 - Oath Letter Sent Out from USCIS

07/14/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received

07/27/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date *COMPLETE, NOW A U.S CITIZEN!!*

07/27/2009 - Updated Records with Social Security Administration

07/27/2009 - Mailed in Application for Passport (Regular Service)

08/10/2009 - Passport Received in Hand!!!!

usa.gifLength of Process:

3 Months, 27 Days - Day 1 Mailing Date -> Oath Ceremony Date

15 Days - Passport Application Mailing -> Passport Received in Hand

The US has no law requiring you to renounce your Brazilian citizenship.

I don't know whether Brazil has a law that would make such a thing necessary, but I suspect not. You could contact a Brazilian consulate to check.

You also may want to read the dual citizenship FAQ for a lot of background on the issues.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline

No, you do not have to renounce your Brazilian citizenship.

When you take the oath, you supposedly renounce loyalty to any nation other than the U.S., but UNLESS YOU GO TO A BRAZILIAN AUTHORITY (a judge, officer at a consulate, etc) and FORMALLY renounce your citizenship, you will not lose it.

Prior to the constitution of 1988, Brazil did not allow dual citizenship and everyone that became a naturalized citizen of another country, lost his/her brazilian citizenship.

Since 1988, however, unless you FORMALLY RENOUNCE IT BEFORE A BRAZILIAN AUTHORITY, you get to keep your citizenship.

04/22/2009 - Sent Application via USPS Priority Mail, Return Receipt Requested

04/29/2009 - NOA 1

04/30/2009 - Check Cashed

05/14/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

05/22/2009 - Biometrics Appointment @ 12:00 pm

06/05/2009 - Received Interview Letter

07/15/2009 - Interview Date @ 9:15 a.m.

07/11/2009 - Received Notice "Descheduling" Interview, Along with New Interview Notice

07/22/2009 - New Interview Date @ 9:15 a.m.

08/03/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Mailed

08/05/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received

08/19/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date

08/20/2009 - Application for Passport Mailed

08/27/2009 - Passport Received

ALL DONE!

Timeline

When you take the oath, you supposedly renounce loyalty to any nation other than the U.S., but UNLESS YOU GO TO A BRAZILIAN AUTHORITY (a judge, officer at a consulate, etc) and FORMALLY renounce your citizenship, you will not lose it.

Prior to the constitution of 1988, Brazil did not allow dual citizenship and everyone that became a naturalized citizen of another country, lost his/her brazilian citizenship.

Since 1988, however, unless you FORMALLY RENOUNCE IT BEFORE A BRAZILIAN AUTHORITY, you get to keep your citizenship.

What are the negatives of maintaining dual citizenship with Brazil ? Do you or anyone else know?

Timeline

What are the negatives of maintaining dual citizenship with Brazil ? Do you or anyone else know?

I can tell you a negative of NOT keeping your brazilian citizenship.. You will need to get a visa in order to visit family down in Brazil, and that alone is a reason that for me is enough to keep it.

And if you ever decide to move back, that is another reason to keep your Brazilian citizenship. If you ever renounce your citizenship and later want it back, it will be nearly impossible to re-gain it.

Another reason to keep your Brazilian citizenship is for healthcare reasons. Though many people would not agree with me, in case of a major sickness/disease or even childbirth, you can always fly down to Brazil and receive free treatment through the public healthcare system. I am from Curitiba, Paraná where the public healthcare is pretty good considering the fact it is public. Curitiba has the best hospitals for treatment of leukemia. Also, the city's program for Pre-Natal care is one of the best available (my cousin was born in a public hospital in Curitiba a few years ago. My aunt received 5 star pre-natal care and at the hospital... much better than I have ever seen in private hospitals in the United States.)

I definitely consider flying down there if anything ever happens.. I have had many bad experiences with healthcare providers in the U.S, and unless it changes soon I would not seek any treatment here if it is available in Brazil. Recently I had a $6,000+ bill from a hospital here in the U.S. because of a shoulder pain I had. I left the hospital hours later without knowing what was wrong with my shoulder and $6K poorer (which I am still paying for...) a total waste of money and time! Healthcare in the U.S. is outrageously expensive and ineffective!

Brazil and the U.S. have a pretty reasonable relationship so I do not imagine any major conflicts. I can't imagine Brazil going to war against the U.S. or anything like that.

If you have not done so already, be sure to transfer your voter registration to your local consulate and vote for president every four years so that you won't have problems obtaining passports in the future.

What will happen is when you get your U.S. Passport, you will use it to leave and enter the United States. You will use your Brazilian Passport to enter and exit Brazil. The customs of each country will not care for your citizenship of any other country. All they care to see is your local citizenship/passport.

Many, many people have dual citizenship in Brazil and have no problems whatsoever.

If you have kids, the Brazilian citizenship might also be of good use for them in the future. According to a law passed in 2007, children of Brazilian citizens registered with a Brazilian consulate are now considered "natural born citizens" and no longer need to opt for the Brazilian citizenship at the age of 18. That is thanks to the efforts of the "Brasileirinhos Apátridas" foundation. Be sure to register your kids at the consulate. They will also be dual American-Brazilian citizens ;)

Hope that helps.

04/29/2009 - NOA 1

07/11/2009 - Received Notice "Descheduling" Interview, Along with New Interview Notice

ALL DONE!

Timeline

I can tell you a negative of NOT keeping your brazilian citizenship.. You will need to get a visa in order to visit family down in Brazil, and that alone is a reason that for me is enough to keep it.

And if you ever decide to move back, that is another reason to keep your Brazilian citizenship. If you ever renounce your citizenship and later want it back, it will be nearly impossible to re-gain it.

Another reason to keep your Brazilian citizenship is for healthcare reasons. Though many people would not agree with me, in case of a major sickness/disease or even childbirth, you can always fly down to Brazil and receive free treatment through the public healthcare system. I am from Curitiba, Paraná where the public healthcare is pretty good considering the fact it is public. Curitiba has the best hospitals for treatment of leukemia. Also, the city's program for Pre-Natal care is one of the best available (my cousin was born in a public hospital in Curitiba a few years ago. My aunt received 5 star pre-natal care and at the hospital... much better than I have ever seen in private hospitals in the United States.)

I definitely consider flying down there if anything ever happens.. I have had many bad experiences with healthcare providers in the U.S, and unless it changes soon I would not seek any treatment here if it is available in Brazil. Recently I had a $6,000+ bill from a hospital here in the U.S. because of a shoulder pain I had. I left the hospital hours later without knowing what was wrong with my shoulder and $6K poorer (which I am still paying for...) a total waste of money and time! Healthcare in the U.S. is outrageously expensive and ineffective!

Brazil and the U.S. have a pretty reasonable relationship so I do not imagine any major conflicts. I can't imagine Brazil going to war against the U.S. or anything like that.

If you have not done so already, be sure to transfer your voter registration to your local consulate and vote for president every four years so that you won't have problems obtaining passports in the future.

What will happen is when you get your U.S. Passport, you will use it to leave and enter the United States. You will use your Brazilian Passport to enter and exit Brazil. The customs of each country will not care for your citizenship of any other country. All they care to see is your local citizenship/passport.

Many, many people have dual citizenship in Brazil and have no problems whatsoever.

If you have kids, the Brazilian citizenship might also be of good use for them in the future. According to a law passed in 2007, children of Brazilian citizens registered with a Brazilian consulate are now considered "natural born citizens" and no longer need to opt for the Brazilian citizenship at the age of 18. That is thanks to the efforts of the "Brasileirinhos Apátridas" foundation. Be sure to register your kids at the consulate. They will also be dual American-Brazilian citizens ;)

Hope that helps.

Good to know, 2 questions since you seem like you know alot about it... I was born there, came when I was 2 years old, and never went back so I doubt I'd go back only family I have is my grandma, we usually fly her here..... thats why I'm asking negatives... You can't think of ONE negative at all??

I thought even if I'm going to brazil, no matter what, once a uS citizen ur supposed to use the US passport to enter the country, no matter what?

I thought even if I'm going to brazil, no matter what, once a uS citizen ur supposed to use the US passport to enter the country, no matter what?

What do you mean by "the country"?

US law says that a US citizen must present a US passport to US officials when crossing a US border.

US law says nothing about what passport you may present to another nation's officials when crossing their borders. That issue is up to the other country's laws. Some countries may have similar laws to the US law, so if you're a dual citizen going to your other country of citizenship, you may have no choice but to carry both passports, presenting each nation's passport to that nation's officials when you cross borders.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline

Hope that helps.

Good to know, 2 questions since you seem like you know alot about it... I was born there, came when I was 2 years old, and never went back so I doubt I'd go back only family I have is my grandma, we usually fly her here..... thats why I'm asking negatives... You can't think of ONE negative at all??

I cant think of a negative at all. Unless you really dont want it, I think you should keep it. Your brazilian passport might even be useful if you want to travel to a country that does not have good relationship with the U.S. I know things may change soon but, for example, as a Brazilian you can easily get in to Cuba, but as an American, things get a little more complicated. You also have some perks when going to Portugal. (Portugal and Brazil have some kind of deal that treats its citizens as equals...)

As to your second question re using the US passport, the Brazilian Federal police does not care if you have another passport. To enter Brazil, all you need is your Brazilian passport. They do not care about your immigration/citizenship status in other countries. Therefore, upon leaving the United States, you will show your U.S. passport. You will show your Brazilian passport to the airline as your authorization to enter the country (the airline gets fined by the federal police in Brazil if someone travels without a valid visa). Upon arriving in Brazil, you show the federal police/customs your Brazilian passport, same upon going through the federal police/customs to leave Brazil. You will then show the airline your American passport as your authorization to enter the US and also show it at the immigration at the airport upon your arrival. The US Immigration officer will not question you regarding your dual citizenship. All you need to do is make sure you travel with both passports. The truth is: your US passport will be good for leaving and entering the us, and your Brazilian passport is good for entering and leaving Brazil. No questions will be asked. ;)

04/29/2009 - NOA 1

ALL DONE!

Timeline

Hope that helps.

I cant think of a negative at all. Unless you really dont want it, I think you should keep it. Your brazilian passport might even be useful if you want to travel to a country that does not have good relationship with the U.S. I know things may change soon but, for example, as a Brazilian you can easily get in to Cuba, but as an American, things get a little more complicated. You also have some perks when going to Portugal. (Portugal and Brazil have some kind of deal that treats its citizens as equals...)

As to your second question re using the US passport, the Brazilian Federal police does not care if you have another passport. To enter Brazil, all you need is your Brazilian passport. They do not care about your immigration/citizenship status in other countries. Therefore, upon leaving the United States, you will show your U.S. passport. You will show your Brazilian passport to the airline as your authorization to enter the country (the airline gets fined by the federal police in Brazil if someone travels without a valid visa). Upon arriving in Brazil, you show the federal police/customs your Brazilian passport, same upon going through the federal police/customs to leave Brazil. You will then show the airline your American passport as your authorization to enter the US and also show it at the immigration at the airport upon your arrival. The US Immigration officer will not question you regarding your dual citizenship. All you need to do is make sure you travel with both passports. The truth is: your US passport will be good for leaving and entering the us, and your Brazilian passport is good for entering and leaving Brazil. No questions will be asked. ;)

Ahh Gotcha.... Oh and you said something about registering at my local consulate and voting every 4 years for brazilian president? What happens if I don't, they assume I abandoned the country? I really have zero interests in Brazilian politics, nor do I care to research candidates before an election, and I am not about to just go to a consulate and blind-vote someone for the sake of some 'status'. I am against uneducated voting in the US and hate that it goes on here, I don't want to be a blind-vote in the brazilian system for my personal benefit...

Timeline

Hope that helps.

Ahh Gotcha.... Oh and you said something about registering at my local consulate and voting every 4 years for brazilian president? What happens if I don't, they assume I abandoned the country? I really have zero interests in Brazilian politics, nor do I care to research candidates before an election, and I am not about to just go to a consulate and blind-vote someone for the sake of some 'status'. I am against uneducated voting in the US and hate that it goes on here, I don't want to be a blind-vote in the brazilian system for my personal benefit...

According to Brazilian law, voting is mandatory for every citizen over the age of 18. You are required to register to vote with the nearest Brazilian consulate. You can either vote or "justify" your absence by submitting a form pretty much saying you did not vote due to x circumstances. It is not a big deal but it needs to be done. When you are over the age of 18, you are required to present your voter registration card in order to be able to get a Brazilian passport. Not voting and not "justifying" your vote will require you to pay fines in order to fix your status with the Brazilian Electoral Justice. It really just sounds worse than it really is, but it is not bad at all. Every 4 years you can just give the consulate your "justification form." I believe you have 30 days from the date of the election to do this. No need to vote or look up candidates if you dont want to. Besides, down there it seems not to matter who you vote for, since justice is only for the rich.

But should you decide not to do any of this voter thing, you might just be able to pay the fines when you request a passport. As you may know, in Brazil "everything ends with pizza," that is, nothing is really taken seriously.

BTW, you would never lose your citizenship just for not voting. Should you chose never to do it, it wont affect the fact that you are a citizen. All it will do is make it harder when you need a Brazilian passport.

Edited by tpontirolli

04/29/2009 - NOA 1

ALL DONE!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My wife is originally from Brazil and maintains both a US and Brazilian passport. She did get a little grief when renewing her Brazilian passort as she did not vote in Brazil for a long time, but as tpontirolli says everything ends with pizza, so she got that issue sorted out fairly easily and received her new passport.

I personally cannot think of any negatives to holding a passport for two countries. I intend to hold an Irish and US passport when I become a US citizen. You may never need a Brazilian passport....until you need it. You never know...maybe someday you'll rob a train and need someplace to go hide!

As for Brazilian politics. Even if you have no interest in the candidates, you could just vote for someone every 4 years or whenever the Presidential elections are held...anyone at all. That fulfills your legal obligation. I was told there was a candidate a few years back and his only 'policy' was to have Brazil obtain an atomic bomb. You could vote for him if he stands for election next time. ;)

Timeline

I-130

February 13, 2006: I-130 filed (US Embassy, Dublin, Ireland).

April 18, 2006: Interview date received.

May 02, 2006: Interview (US Embassy, Dublin, Ireland). Visa approved.

June 14, 2006: Moved to Charlotte, NC.

July 20, 2006: 'Welcome to the United States' letter received.

July 21, 2006: Applied for SSN.

July 29, 2006: SSN received.

September 05, 2006: 2 year Permanent Resident card received.

I-751

April 09, 2008: Mailed I-751 to TSC.

April 15, 2008: Check cashed.

April 16, 2008: Case transferred to VSC.

April 23, 2008: Biometrics appointment letter received.

May 10, 2008: Biometrics appointment.

June 28, 2008: Moved to Clearwater, FL (Filed AR-11 and I-865).

March 04,2009: 10 year Permanent Resident card production ordered.

March 13,2009: 10 year Permanent Resident card received.

N-400

April 24, 2009: Mailed N-400 to TX Lockbox.

April 30, 2009: NOA1 Notice date.

May 11, 2009: Biometrics appointment letter received.

May 16, 2009: Biometrics complete (walk-in).

June 04, 2009: Interview letter received.

July 23, 2009: Interview.

July 23, 2009: Oath. I am a US citizen!

• 8 years later...

I see that it has been a while that the last discussion took place so I am willing to resume it by saying that a lot happened since then and I wanted to inform you that the Brazilian government is stripping out the Brazilian citizenship from Brazilians that became U.S. citizens. The cases I studied, the Brazilian attorney general did that unilaterally and without the consent of the Brazilian citizen. I don't believe the Brazilian government will do that with everyone but if you end up with any administrative process with the minister of justice, say to change your name for the same one you changed upon U.S. naturalization, then that would be a red flag and it would give them all documentation they need to do that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.