jlovesj

things to do after marriage

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello everyone,

we just got married first day of june, finally our marriage certificate arrived, we dont know now whats the next step to do? because we went to ss office yesterday to change my name in my ssn card( which under my maiden name) to my married name but the officer didnt allowed me he said i need to report our marriage in the local office of immigration and this office will give me stamp in my passport and after that the officer in ss office told me to show it to them and they will allow me to change my name. im now residing in jacksonville florida. any one who knows where is the local office of immigration here.

thank you so much.

based on the info we gathered

after marriage of a k1 visa holder.

1. go back to ss office change your name to married name.

2. report your marriage to the phil embassy here in florida.

3. i get my state id

4. can get driver's license

5. aos

hope anyone can help us with this matter.

god bless everyone!

oct 15' 2008 -mailed 129-f to vsc

oct 24' 2008 -touched

oct 27' 2008 -noa1 hard copy (dated oct 21) received

feb 23' 2009 -NOA2 (thank you GOD!!)

feb 24' 2009 -touched

feb 28' 2009 -NOA2 hardcopy received

march 2'2009 -received nvc letter with mnl case #

march16-17'2009 medical PASSED(thank you GOD!!)

april 22, 2009 -interview / VISA APPROVED!! (thank you God!!)

***"our special thanks to my WOF and Visa Journey Family!!***

April 27, 2009 -visa delivered

April28 , 2009 -CFO

May 7, 2009 - goodbye P.I (manila-Hk-chicago-JK florida)

May 28, 2009 - got my ssn card

June 1, 2009 - CIVIL WEDDING

July 21, 2009 - sent AOS package[/color]

July 31, 2009 - got NOA's (dated july 23)[/color]

Aug 3, 2009 - got biometrics letter (dated july 31)

Aug 17, 2009 -got a letter from uscis (dated aug 13) case was been transferred to csc

Aug 21 2009 - biometrics appointment

sept 8,2009 - advanced parole in the mail

sept 14,2009 - EAD card in the mail

nov 7 2009 - welcome to america letter arrived

nov 13, 2009- green card in the mail (thank you GOD!)

hello everyone,

we just got married first day of june, finally our marriage certificate arrived, we dont know now whats the next step to do? because we went to ss office yesterday to change my name in my ssn card( which under my maiden name) to my married name but the officer didnt allowed me he said i need to report our marriage in the local office of immigration and this office will give me stamp in my passport and after that the officer in ss office told me to show it to them and they will allow me to change my name. im now residing in jacksonville florida. any one who knows where is the local office of immigration here.

thank you so much.

3. i get my state id

5. aos

god bless everyone!

kumuha kba ng ssn # before ka kinasal?? kc ang alam ko pkita mo lng yung marriage cert nyo dba? yun lng nman ang pagkaka alam ko pdeng mali din ako :blink:

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

You will find this helpful: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Normally, you can have your name on your SS card changed into your married name --just bring your original marriage license/certificate, but some SSA officer are misinformed about this. I'd suggest doing your AOS as soon as you can and then go back to SSA office once you have your EAD or GC received.

Edited by David-Mae Forever

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

You will find this helpful: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Normally, you can have your name on your SS card changed into your married name --just bring your original marriage license/certificate, but some SSA officer are misinformed about this. I'd suggest doing your AOS as soon as you can and then go back to SSA office once you have your EAD or GC received.

I haven't really change my ssn also till I got my GC. It won't be a problem when filing AOS. Just wait for it and go back later pag may gc na to match all names especially when getting a DL. Good luck!

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline

oo girls, yun din pagkakaalam ko just go back so ss office present your marriage certificate then they wil change your id to to your married name. ang nakakaasar pa the first time i went there to get my ssn card in my maiden name the black guy was so kind and he told me just go back there after we get married para ma change id ko sa married name ko. then we got back yesterday there i ended up with a filipino officer and he told me pumunta ko sa local office ng imigration and report my marriage tapos balik na lang ako dun pag may stamp na passport ko ng k3 visa. badtrip na badtrip tlaga ako kasi i explained everything he said mali info ako.

kaya eto im wondering if mga k1 visa holder dito after u got married ba nagreport pa kayo sa local office ng immigration. or aos na agad.

ano ba tlga gawin after marriage? kasi alam ko report sa phil embassy yung marriage then gather paper for aos and do your aos.

anyone from jacksonville or florida who got their ssn card in their married name and ganun din ba sabi ng ss officer.

kaasar tlga.

thanks everyone!!

oct 24' 2008 -touched

feb 24' 2009 -touched

April28 , 2009 -CFO

Aug 17, 2009 -got a letter from uscis (dated aug 13) case was been transferred to csc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
hello everyone,

thank you so much.

3. i get my state id

5. aos

god bless everyone!

you might try asking in the aos forum.....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

oo girls, yun din pagkakaalam ko just go back so ss office present your marriage certificate then they wil change your id to to your married name. ang nakakaasar pa the first time i went there to get my ssn card in my maiden name the black guy was so kind and he told me just go back there after we get married para ma change id ko sa married name ko. then we got back yesterday there i ended up with a filipino officer and he told me pumunta ko sa local office ng imigration and report my marriage tapos balik na lang ako dun pag may stamp na passport ko ng k3 visa. badtrip na badtrip tlaga ako kasi i explained everything he said mali info ako.

kaya eto im wondering if mga k1 visa holder dito after u got married ba nagreport pa kayo sa local office ng immigration. or aos na agad.

ano ba tlga gawin after marriage? kasi alam ko report sa phil embassy yung marriage then gather paper for aos and do your aos.

anyone from jacksonville or florida who got their ssn card in their married name and ganun din ba sabi ng ss officer.

kaasar tlga.

thanks everyone!!

Nag-report lang ako ng marriage sa Philippine Embassy noong nag-renew ako passport ko kasi expired na. Ano yun report of marriage sa Immigration? :wacko: Hindi ko alam yun ah! Hindi naman requirement sa AOS yun.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

kaasar tlga.

thanks everyone!!

Hi Im in Florida too and I went to Jacksonville,FL for my biometrics for AOS and EAD last April 24.

I went to SSA 1week after my entry here in the US then went back after we got married to changed it to married name..the girl who assisted me when I applied for ssn told me to come back after we got married and just bring our marriage certificate and my passport with my I-94 on it and didn't encounter any problem even the girl who assisted me to changed my ssn to married name is not the same girl who assisted me when I applied for ssn.

I dont know the report of marriage at the Immigration..wlang service nun sa local immigration office,masasayang lng oras mo.If I were you tawag ka uli sa SSA office nyo then ask mo kung ano need mo to change your ssn to married name then pag sinabi na marriage certificate lng at yung passport mo....punta ka in person then sbhin mo na tumawag ka at yun lng pnapadala sau,or hanapin mo yung black guy na nag-assist sayo nung nag-apply kna ssn mo.Ang iba kc na staff sa SSA mga wlang alam pagdating sa mga immigration status natin.

You only need to report your marriage at the Philippine Embassy for renewal or amendment of passport...not for changing ssn to married name..hndi yun requirements.

Btw,eto yung address ng Local USCIS office sa Jacksonville:

USCIS/DHS Jacksonville

4121 Southpoint Blvd.

Jacksonville,FL 32216

N-400 Naturalization

04/25/2012 - sent N-400 package to USCIS Dallas

04/28/2012 - package delivered at USCIS Dallas

I-751 Removal of Condition

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

03/24/2011 - package delivered at VSC according to USPS tracking

03/25/2011 - package received by Center Director according to Return receipt

04/04/2011 - NOA received - dated 03/25/2011

04/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice received -notice date 04/08/2011

04/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment - Done!

10/14/2011 - Card Production Email

10/17/2011 - Approval Notice received - dated 10/06/2011

11/04/2011 - 10yrs green card received

Timeline

kaasar tlga.

thanks everyone!!

Hi Im in Florida too and I went to Jacksonville,FL for my biometrics for AOS and EAD last April 24.

I went to SSA 1week after my entry here in the US then went back after we got married to changed it to married name..the girl who assisted me when I applied for ssn told me to come back after we got married and just bring our marriage certificate and my passport with my I-94 on it and didn't encounter any problem even the girl who assisted me to changed my ssn to married name is not the same girl who assisted me when I applied for ssn.

I dont know the report of marriage at the Immigration..wlang service nun sa local immigration office,masasayang lng oras mo.If I were you tawag ka uli sa SSA office nyo then ask mo kung ano need mo to change your ssn to married name then pag sinabi na marriage certificate lng at yung passport mo....punta ka in person then sbhin mo na tumawag ka at yun lng pnapadala sau,or hanapin mo yung black guy na nag-assist sayo nung nag-apply kna ssn mo.Ang iba kc na staff sa SSA mga wlang alam pagdating sa mga immigration status natin.

You only need to report your marriage at the Philippine Embassy for renewal or amendment of passport...not for changing ssn to married name..hndi yun requirements.

Btw,eto yung address ng Local USCIS office sa Jacksonville:

USCIS/DHS Jacksonville

4121 Southpoint Blvd.

Jacksonville,FL 32216

Girl thank you so much. siguro subukan ko pumunta sa ibang ss office. gusto ko na kasi machange yung ss card sa married name ko para makakuha na ko ng state id.

san ka ss office nagpunta? kasi ako sa bonneval blvd jacksonville 32256.

badtrip tlga ako dun sa pinoy officer sa ss office. pinoy pa naman!!!

oct 24' 2008 -touched

feb 24' 2009 -touched

April28 , 2009 -CFO

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
hello everyone,

thank you so much.

3. i get my state id

5. aos

god bless everyone!

napalitan ko lang ang SS ko sa married name ng nakuha ko na ang EAD ko kung hindi ako nagkakamali :star: pero pagkakasal namin napalitan ko naman ang state ID ko sa married name ko ng nakuha ko na marriage certificate ko..kasi before ako kinasal kumuha na ako ng state ID gamit ko maiden name ko

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Girl thank you so much. siguro subukan ko pumunta sa ibang ss office. gusto ko na kasi machange yung ss card sa married name ko para makakuha na ko ng state id.

Yup kung may iba pa SSA office dyan,subukan mo punta.D2 ako sa Tallahassee,FL 2 to 3 hours drive to Jacksonville.Nagpunta lng kmi dyan nung biometrics ko...

Syanga pla pag kukuha ka State ID need mo din SSN tska kelangan kuha ka state ID at least a month bago ma-expire I-94 mo or else papabalikin ka pag may EAD or GC kna.

Nanguha kc ako state id ko 1 month bago ma-expire I-94 ko,married name na gamit ko..

Nakapunta kna sa Jacksonville Landing at Regency Mall/Dillards?May filipino restaurant dun.Mas gusto ko dyan kesa d2 kc mas marami pinoy dyan eh...d2 konti lng.

N-400 Naturalization

04/25/2012 - sent N-400 package to USCIS Dallas

04/28/2012 - package delivered at USCIS Dallas

I-751 Removal of Condition

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

03/24/2011 - package delivered at VSC according to USPS tracking

03/25/2011 - package received by Center Director according to Return receipt

04/04/2011 - NOA received - dated 03/25/2011

04/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice received -notice date 04/08/2011

04/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment - Done!

10/14/2011 - Card Production Email

10/17/2011 - Approval Notice received - dated 10/06/2011

11/04/2011 - 10yrs green card received

You don't have to report your marriage with the immigration because that's what the AOS --adjustment of status-- is for. If you want to report your marriage, you do it with the Philippine Consulate, but if I were you, I will focus on AOS first, since you have a year to inform Philippine Consulate about your marriage. SS is not needed for the AOS. If you want to save yourself from going back and forth to SSA, I'd change the maiden name into married one after you got the EAD or GC. It's because if you change it now, you will still receive your SS card with the notation that you cannot work unless DHS authorized. That notation will be removed from your card once you received either EAD or GC. So basically, you'll have another trip back to SSA.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Timeline

Yup kung may iba pa SSA office dyan,subukan mo punta.D2 ako sa Tallahassee,FL 2 to 3 hours drive to Jacksonville.Nagpunta lng kmi dyan nung biometrics ko...

Syanga pla pag kukuha ka State ID need mo din SSN tska kelangan kuha ka state ID at least a month bago ma-expire I-94 mo or else papabalikin ka pag may EAD or GC kna.

Nanguha kc ako state id ko 1 month bago ma-expire I-94 ko,married name na gamit ko..

Nakapunta kna sa Jacksonville Landing at Regency Mall/Dillards?May filipino restaurant dun.Mas gusto ko dyan kesa d2 kc mas marami pinoy dyan eh...d2 konti lng.

thank you so much talaga girl, we will try to go to university blvd meron pa kasi isang ss office dun, i really want to change my ss card sa married name ko kasi part din yun ng identification ko na married na ko and so i can apply na for my state id for my married name. kasi naman pag nag babar hopping kame "passport pinapakita ko" hehehe ang lakilaki...

ive been to jacksonville landing okey naman pero di ko nakita yung filipino resto dun madalas kame dun kasi downtown namen yun.

meron ako alam about 4 filipino resto dito, madalas kame sa beach blvd name nung resto PANCITAN ang sarao ng pancit canton nila talaga girl. meron din walking distance from our house ang ang bait nila kasi pag nagpunta ka dun closing time bigay nila lahat foods nila to you dabarkads kasi ng wife ng brother in law ko.

nway ang dal dal ko na hehehe. okey lang ba pm kita, this july ako mag aos kaya okey lang ba if my ques ako pm kita. pls pls po!

oo marami pinoy dito minsan advantage pero minsan ewan ko ba kung sino pa pinoy sya pa yung....haaaaay life.

im thankful na meron from florida na member ng vj.

ingat lagi, and god bless...

jlovesj

oct 24' 2008 -touched

feb 24' 2009 -touched

April28 , 2009 -CFO

Timeline
You don't have to report your marriage with the immigration because that's what the AOS --adjustment of status-- is for. If you want to report your marriage, you do it with the Philippine Consulate, but if I were you, I will focus on AOS first, since you have a year to inform Philippine Consulate about your marriage. SS is not needed for the AOS. If you want to save yourself from going back and forth to SSA, I'd change the maiden name into married one after you got the EAD or GC. It's because if you change it now, you will still receive your SS card with the notation that you cannot work unless DHS authorized. That notation will be removed from your card once you received either EAD or GC. So basically, you'll have another trip back to SSA.

thank you girl, i will try my luck one more time to go to a different ss office if i encounter same problem then the best thing to do is wait till i get my greencard or ead.

god bless.

oct 24' 2008 -touched

feb 24' 2009 -touched

April28 , 2009 -CFO

Timeline

thank you to everyone who replied to my ques.

godbless to all!!!

jlovesj

oct 24' 2008 -touched

feb 24' 2009 -touched

April28 , 2009 -CFO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.