mosacorp

Travelling soon with an i-551 stamp

5 posts in this topic

Hi there. After almost 9 years I will be seeing my family in South Africa, and I will be accompanied by my lovely wife who is also really excited to meet them and to also see my country of birth and upbringing.

We will be flying out on the 30th of June and will be back on August the 10th.

But that said, I have a few questions and I would like you kind people to help answer them for me:

I was approved for my GC on May6, but due to the card production delays (...of '09) I have not received it and had to travel 300miles last week to get the i-551 stamp in my passport. This morning I did get an email saying that card production was ordered again on June 12th, but we will be leaving our apartment here in Oregon at the end of the week to fly to Missouri to visit her family before leaving from there, and thus our mail will be held at the Post Office until our return.

-Would there be any problem if my card got mailed out before I left the US and I did not travel with it?

-Would the I-551 stamp suffice as an acceptable travel stamp, especially for when needing to board a plane back from South Africa?

-When leaving the US, do I need to have go to a customs or border officer at the airport and get some sort of stamp before I am allowed to leave?

-And when I return, what procedure do I follow? Will I have to explain to them why I only have my passport with the stamp in it or will it be ok?

-Should I take all my NOA forms with just incase, marriage certificates etc., Would it be helpful that my wife (US citizen) will be travelling with?

-In a worst case scenario, if my passport with my stamp got lost or stolen out of the country, what do I do then?

-Do I have to fill out one of those I-94 cards again when I come back?

Thanks for hearing me out, I know I asked a lot, I am just nervous, and really don't want to be. I want to enjoy this trip more than any other in my life, and don't want something horrible happening that will have me all worried.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The I-551 stamp will be sufficient for your travels and re-entry into the US. It is basically a green card stamp. As long as the date is still valid you shouldn't have any problems. You don't need to do anything with your passport or immigration before leaving the US. You will show your passport and the I-551 stamp to the airlines to allow you to board your flight home. You will present your passport to immigration, they will see the stamp and let you through. If they ask you any questions you can say that your plastic green card hadn't arrived before your trip. Immigration officers know the I-551 stamp, however, so you shouldn't have any hassles. You can certainly bring your NOAs and marriage certificate as back-ups if it makes you feel more secure but you probably won't need them. Make sure you know your A# because if, God forbid, something happens and you lose your passport, you will need to go to the closest US Consulate/Embassy and make arrangements with them to get travel documents that will let you back in the country. They should be able to verify your eligibility through your A# but you will need ID as well to prove who you are.

You will not have to fill out an I-94 card - those are only for non-immigrants and you are a Permanent Resident. You will have to fill out the customs declaration forms, though :) . Enjoy your holiday.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Hi there. After almost 9 years I will be seeing my family in South Africa, and I will be accompanied by my lovely wife who is also really excited to meet them and to also see my country of birth and upbringing.

But that said, I have a few questions and I would like you kind people to help answer them for me:

I was approved for my GC on May6, but due to the card production delays (...of '09) I have not received it and had to travel 300miles last week to get the i-551 stamp in my passport. This morning I did get an email saying that card production was ordered again on June 12th, but we will be leaving our apartment here in Oregon at the end of the week to fly to Missouri to visit her family before leaving from there, and thus our mail will be held at the Post Office until our return.

-Would there be any problem if my card got mailed out before I left the US and I did not travel with it?

-Would the I-551 stamp suffice as an acceptable travel stamp, especially for when needing to board a plane back from South Africa?

-When leaving the US, do I need to have go to a customs or border officer at the airport and get some sort of stamp before I am allowed to leave?

-And when I return, what procedure do I follow? Will I have to explain to them why I only have my passport with the stamp in it or will it be ok?

-Should I take all my NOA forms with just incase, marriage certificates etc., Would it be helpful that my wife (US citizen) will be travelling with?

-In a worst case scenario, if my passport with my stamp got lost or stolen out of the country, what do I do then?

Thanks for hearing me out, I know I asked a lot, I am just nervous, and really don't want to be. I want to enjoy this trip more than any other in my life, and don't want something horrible happening that will have me all worried.

Thank you

Hi

I am from Portland too and a South African.

My hubby is a born and bred Oregonian :yes:

I would like to know how your trip went through customs?

My interview is on 17 Nov 09, and I have the jitterbugs!

Greetings

Cosmos

Interview Date: 17 Nov 2009

I-130 Sent : 2008-09-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-09-05

I-130 Approved : 2009-02-26

AOS

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Portland OR

Date Filed : 2009-05-13

NOA Date : 2009-05-15

RFE(s) : 2009-05-19

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-30

Interview Date : 2009-11-17

Comments : Had 2 I-864 RFE's

EAD and AP received

EAD

Employment Authorization Document

Filing Instance : First

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-30

Approved Date : 2009-10-09

Date Card Received : 2009-10-19

Comments : It went from Chicago to NBC

AP

Advance Parole

Date Received : 2009-10-16

RV00m8.png

Rnotm8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you

When you leave, someone should at least say "Bon Voyage" and when you return they will say "welcome home" Other than that...you are good to go. That stamp is basically a green card in itself.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 3 weeks later...
When you leave, someone should at least say "Bon Voyage" and when you return they will say "welcome home" Other than that...you are good to go. That stamp is basically a green card in itself.

I could not have said it any better myself. -_- Have a good trip!

nav_03.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.