lirank

Please help - Just got married - unclear situation

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I got married with my wife last week (she is a us citizen) and I am trying to adjust my status.

We were living in her aunt house, but now we are going to move to her sister house, the address on the marrige certificate is her aunt house, and since we are moving to her sister house should I put her address on the i-130 form? I just need to be clear here, I am not sure how to do it best, will we have to change her sister bills to be in our names for the interview, in general, I will appreciate very much if you can give us some opinions about our situation, unfortunately we can not move to live alone at the moment as we are trying to save money, is there any risk living in her sister house? will we have any difficulties with the address on the marrige certificate?

What kind of documents does the immigration ask for the interview? and when would be the best time to fill in the forms? after how long after the marrige. please help us out here.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Relax, this is not a real big deal. It is just some forms and some money and a little wait.

File the papers soon but don't do like we did and get in such a hurry that you forget something.

It doesn't really sound like you have a stable address so I would take a post office box for reliable mail. The USCIS will screw up an address change almost every time. The address on the marriage liscense means nothing. It is the address on the forms that they will send mail to.

Don't worry about the interview yet. That is down the road. Right now you need to concentrate on putting together a good package for AOS. If you are lucky you may not even have an interview.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't see any problems with that either. I agree that the address on the marriage liscense means nothing.

But I would not advise using PO box. They do have problems with changing address in their files, but from my understanding if the official mail from USCIS comes to your wife's sister house it should be ok as long as it is not lost (and you do not miss any interviews or appointments.)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
But I would not advise using PO box.

@timelena: Why would you not advise that?

We put down a P.O. Box address...and now you're worrying me :unsure:

AOS timeline:

03/17/06 filed for AOS

03/28-06 touched

04/04/06 biometrics

04/05/06 touched

05/23/06 transfered to CSC

06/17/06 touched

08/16/06 touched

11/20/06 USCIS cust.service started inquiry about case (because it's outside of processing times)

11/30/06 approval e-mail

12/07/06 Greencard in the mail (= 8 months and 21 days for the entire AOS process)

.png

.png

Filed: Other Timeline

My understanding is that a PO box is not an acceptable address for AOS. They want to know where you are!

To the OP, you have not explained fully whether or not you came on any other family based visa (K1 - K3 - whatever). If you did, you reported a different address to USCIS as that time than the one you will be using for AOS. I would suggest a cover letting pointing out same.

I also would not bother getting utility bills converted to your name. When you move out to your own place the sister will just have to undo all that and what a hassle for her! Instead I would busy myself gathering other evidence of 'co-mingled assets' such as bank statements, life and health insurance policies, etc.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can have a PO box for a mailing address and state your physical address elsewhere.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My arguments are as follows:

First, a number of forms specifically asks for address in the following format: Number and Street, Apt.No., Town or City, State/Country, Zip/Postal Code.

Next, I adjusted from F-1 student visa. The University asked for my physical address, and instructed me to update my address within 10 days after move. They told me the University is obliged to report my address change to USCIS (who presumably wants to know where the alien is in the US). I believe it is so not only for international students, but for every alien.

Finally, if you mention both physical address and PO box, I am afraid it might be too complicated for USCIS to figure out where to send your mail! :lol:

CWR,

I don't have any experience with PO boxes, though. These are just my thoughts. I hope you will be fine!

Timeline

I have used a street address and a different mailing address. We've never missed a piece of mail and have our last USCIS appointment (ever) in a few weeks. :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

I suggest that you read here---you will find the answers to many silly questions--and ask here if you can't find the answer. Questions asked in public are much better for you, and everyone else, as you can have incorrect info corrected before you pay the price.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.