Malrothien

Hi everyone!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi ladies and gents,

Just wanted to seek some advise from you all about getting back to the US. I'm an American citizen married to a Canadian citizen living in Vancouver, BC (I'm a PR in Canada). We consulted with a lawyer who suggested we go K3 via Vermont, but did mention CR-1 (wouldn't really work as I don't fly.. heh).

We've been married for 3 yrs now and do have many members of my family who would be willing to sign the affidavit of support, so that isn't an issue.

I've got the I-130 filled out and the G325A for my husband (forgot to do myself) as well as supporting documentation that our marriage is real (3 years, I would hope so!).

Any other advise any of you could give? I really want to get home quickly since my gramma is alone (my grandpa passed away in February) and could use a hand or two around the house.

Thanks much ahead of time :D

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I know you don't fly but if you went with the CR1/Ir1 visa it would be a tonne less paperwork because you wouldn't have to worry about AOS or removal of conditions because you have been married for over 3 years

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Paperwork isn't really an issue for me - I've already done it for my PR to Canada. :)

I thought removal of conditions was only if you were married less than 2 years?

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Paperwork isn't really an issue for me - I've already done it for my PR to Canada. :)

I thought removal of conditions was only if you were married less than 2 years?

doh, I had a brain fart ..lol yeah you wouldn't have to do it if you went with the K3.. but you would still have to do AOS with costs over 1000 bucks...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

go check out the DCF forum. if you've been a PR in canada for at least 6 months, you're good to go. here is the forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=82 since you've been married for more than 2 years, once approved, you would receive a 10 year green card and not have to remove conditions. DCF is faster than regular IR-1 filings, and if you're still in Canada, read up on that and the process.

Timeline

If you could fly, by the sounds of it you could DCF, MUCH faster route to go and since your married for over 2 yrs, you would be getting a 10 yr greencard, well ur spouse would!!

As well the USA spouse DOES NOT have to attend the interview, interview itself last maybe 10 minutes, and is normally the easiest part of the whole process.

Not that we hate lawyers,lol but in most cases one doesn't require 1! We had 1, what a waste of $$$. In straight forward cases, they are $$$$ proof readers and form gatherers, they don't speed up the process.

How important is it for ur spouse to be able to work in the USA right away?? if so, then you wil want the IR-1 But check out the DCF forum. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
If you could fly, by the sounds of it you could DCF, MUCH faster route to go and since your married for over 2 yrs, you would be getting a 10 yr greencard, well ur spouse would!!

As well the USA spouse DOES NOT have to attend the interview, interview itself last maybe 10 minutes, and is normally the easiest part of the whole process.

Not that we hate lawyers,lol but in most cases one doesn't require 1! We had 1, what a waste of $$$. In straight forward cases, they are $$$$ proof readers and form gatherers, they don't speed up the process.

How important is it for ur spouse to be able to work in the USA right away?? if so, then you wil want the IR-1 But check out the DCF forum. Best of luck

Hi and welcome,

Yes, flames brings up a good point - there is no need for the U.S. citizen to attend the interview in Montreal. Even if your wife doesn't like flying either - there is always via rail :)

Or a cross country road trip across Canada is lovely also! The DCF and IR-1 are the best options for time and money.

Good luck with your journey and welcome.

Janet

Edited by carslo

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Timeline

Thank you all for the responses. I am the US citizen as well as the wife. :P

Working isn't a necessity right away for my husband. We'll be living with my grandmother rent/utility free. We will have no expenses beyond car insurance/car payment.

event.png

Timeline
Thank you all for the responses. I am the US citizen as well as the wife. :P

Working isn't a necessity right away for my husband. We'll be living with my grandmother rent/utility free. We will have no expenses beyond car insurance/car payment.

The other thing, as flames mentioned, is that you can file your application right at the consulate if you file for CR1 or IR1 - rather than a K visa. If there is any way your Husband would consider travelling to Montreal you will probably get through the CR1/IR1 process just as fast as you would filing a K3 via Vermont.

Plus - adjustment of status for him is more expensive and while it is not necessary for him to work right away, you save yourself a lot of hassle doing CR1/IR1 - he gets his green card right away and his SSN.

Anyway, just some ideas :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.