July09Bride

You visit the SSN office and then...

How long did it take you to get your SSN number?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. It took me/us...

• We asked and got a number before we left the office... but had to wait for the official card.
    • We called and got the number within 1-2 days.
    • We called and got the number within 3-4 days.
    • We waited it out and got the card via USPS in 3-6 days.
    • We waited it out and got the card via USPS in 7-9 days.
    • We waited it out and got the card via USPS in 10-12 days.
    • We waited it out and got the card via USPS in 13-14 days.
    • We waited it out and got the card via USPS in more than 2 weeks.

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i think your insurance company should be able to add your husband the day you marry (aka 'Life event') without having the SSN in hand - if that's what worries you most. Some companies try to 'insist', but I believe they can add a person - think of a new baby - they obviously will not have an SSN, but they'll be added! Your benefits admin should be satisfied that it's coming shortly- I'd push the issue and call the insurance directly if your in office person can't help you.

I applied for my SSN about a month afrter entering the country - after I was married and had changed my name (not a concern for your hubster-to-be) and it came in about 10 days.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
Does it make any difference if we check the box "want a SSN" or not on the DS230? Is it better to say no and just go to the SSA Office?

It makes no difference, if you check the box yes, you won't get it. If you check no, you won't get it. Either way, you have to go in person

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Check day is when people on Social Security Disability or SSI get the money (the check) People on Social Security Retirement are on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month for their money (checks)

Oh. They have to go into the office to pick them up or are they just going in because there are problems?

No they don't need to go into the office, but people who do not do direct deposit into a bank account (so they get a paper check through the mail) come to the office on the "check day" if they didn;t receive their check. It's funny to because we can not reissue the paper check on the same day it was to be in the mail but still people come in anyways apparently the word that we do not reissue checks on the same day has not gotten out.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-16

CHECK CASHED: 2008-12-18

TOUCHED: 2008-12-23

I-129F RFE(s) : NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-04-06

NVC Left : 2009-04-13

Consulate Received : 2009-04-15

Packet 3 Mailed: 2009-04-17

Packet 3 Received : 2009-04-22

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-04-23

Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 2009-04-27

Medical : 2009-04-27

Packet 4 Received : 2009-06-08

Interview Date : 2009-07-08 Approved!

Visa Received : 2009-07-10

US Entry : 2009-07-16

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : Church Wedding and Celebration on November 14, 2009.

Having civil wedding because need AP for trip to Ireland planned December 2009, couldn't risk not being able to go so civil wedding before the church wedding.

AOS, EAD and AP

CIS Office : Dover DE

Date Filed : 2009-07-29

Check Cashed: 2009-08-07

NOA Date : 2009-08-06

RFE(s) :

Received Bio Appt Notice: 2009-08-20

Bio. Appt. : 2009-08-31

AOS Transfer** : 2009-08-24

Interview Date : NONE

AP/EAD Approved: 2009-09-21

AOS Approved:2009-10-02

event.png

Timeline

13 weeks :D

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I went to the SSA office 16 days after I entered the country and I wasn't in the SAVE system yet. My SSN took about six weeks to arrive.

Phil has BCBS of Georgia as his health insurance. They added me to his policy without the SSN. I just called them with it when I got it. The HR person thought my SSN ws required but when she told BCBS, they told her it wasn't. My insurance card arrived within the week.

~ Catherine

FABULOUS!!! That's who I have through my school district... via a third party vendor that deals with school districts.

Thanks, Catherine!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
i think your insurance company should be able to add your husband the day you marry (aka 'Life event') without having the SSN in hand - if that's what worries you most. Some companies try to 'insist', but I believe they can add a person - think of a new baby - they obviously will not have an SSN, but they'll be added! Your benefits admin should be satisfied that it's coming shortly- I'd push the issue and call the insurance directly if your in office person can't help you.

I applied for my SSN about a month afrter entering the country - after I was married and had changed my name (not a concern for your hubster-to-be) and it came in about 10 days.

It is... I don't want to get on an airplane and fly across the continent and the eastern Pacific Ocean without him having insurance. Plus, being in Hawaii for almost two weeks doing adventurous things (zip line, kayaking, etc.) without insurance also worries me.

Perhaps we can show the paperwork that we've applied and will call in the number ASAP to our benefits person at the District Office, if we don't have the number prior to that.

Oh, you all have NO idea how much better you have made me feel regarding this issue!!! Thank you SOOOOO much!!! :)

I didn't want to tell people this but I feel guilty keeping the secret, I happen to work for Social Security in a local field office.

Thank you for letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak. I truly, truly appreciate your insight and information. Thank you! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Timeline
No they don't need to go into the office, but people who do not do direct deposit into a bank account (so they get a paper check through the mail) come to the office on the "check day" if they didn;t receive their check. It's funny to because we can not reissue the paper check on the same day it was to be in the mail but still people come in anyways apparently the word that we do not reissue checks on the same day has not gotten out.

Ahhhh. I see what their disability is, then. :lol: Thanks for answering, Hapy. :)

It is... I don't want to get on an airplane and fly across the continent and the eastern Pacific Ocean without him having insurance. Plus, being in Hawaii for almost two weeks doing adventurous things (zip line, kayaking, etc.) without insurance also worries me.

Perhaps we can show the paperwork that we've applied and will call in the number ASAP to our benefits person at the District Office, if we don't have the number prior to that.

My husband has BCBS, also. He was able to add me as soon as I came into the country. They told him that they were quite familiar with the K-1 visa and would add me before the wedding because the intent was there. He just gave them the additional information (wedding date, SSN) after the fact.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Ahhhh. I see what their disability is, then. :lol: Thanks for answering, Hapy. :)

My husband has BCBS, also. He was able to add me as soon as I came into the country. They told him that they were quite familiar with the K-1 visa and would add me before the wedding because the intent was there. He just gave them the additional information (wedding date, SSN) after the fact.

I wonder if I can straight through to the third party vendor that offers us the BCBS and ask them about waiting for the marriage certificate/SSN/etc. Hmmm... I may be able to convince them by saying that BCBS DOES allow membership based upon K1 Visa & intent. I will definitely check in to that!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my SSN card a week after (5 business days) in the mail. I went to one of the SSN Card Centers that they built in specific metro regions though. I also waited 4 weeks after I crossed the border.

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.