scandal

A match made in the old ways

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Im sorry but setting her up with a future husband at the age of 7 is ridiculous. And if she says No, then its dishonors her family... :whistle: its different IMO if you ask your family to set you up or find you someone but to put a guilt trip on a woman and then claim shes dishonoring the family is nonsense. I feel for some women. I know of a girl in her 20s from the same country but pretty much grew up here. Her mom engaged her off to her cousin not too long ago and this girl is not happy, plus she has a boyfriend of her own choosing and cant marry him bcz now her family married her off to her cousin. I basically told her that shes screwed ... she signed papers which she didnt realize all the details of what that means... she and boyfriend can not married bcz shes legally married to cousin now!

Tamara, I think the point of the story is that this courageous young woman is saying 'no' to an enforced arranged marriage. :thumbs:Yet she is trying to balance her decision while still respecting her family, her traditions, her religion. She wants to return to Afghanistan and give back to her community. I think that's just wonderful and heart warming.

Spot on!

What i don't understand about this is that if her father's intention for his daughter was to marry her cousin, why would he send her overseas to get an education and make something of herself and everything that she has worked for and accomplished in her life just to go back to a village where it is very hard for a woman to be successful. He wants her to walk away from that just so she can be a housewife. It just doesn't make no sense at all.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

I don't think she should go back to Afghanistan - I have a terrible feeling about something bad happening to her. She should go to work for USAID or the Peace Corps as an advisor on Afghani issues and work through it that way. There could be a real risk for her in the future...educated or not, she still is from a tribal culture and they can turn on her in an instant.

i doubt anyone here's acquainted well enough with the nuances of afghan culture to say if something is contradictory or not, etc. this hokey article certainly isn't sufficient to make sweeping generalizations about this girl's family, hazaras, or afghanistan in general.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.