cdnabroad

Change of Address: Canada to the UK

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Good Morning Fountain of Knowledge!

Quick question, my Dad has just received a letter requesting the $70 fee for the AOS to begin processing my application.

My parents are divorced. My Mom lives in Canada. I live in the UK now. My application has always been a Canadian based application.

With the AOS, they are ask whether Canadian mailing address is still current for me. Which technically it is not. I was thinking of updating my application with my UK mailing address, but am wondering if that could be a bad move i.e. things take long enough with the NVC nevermind requesting that my application is sent from the Montreal Office to the London office.

I called the NVC and the agent on the phone said that it shouldn't be a problem to leave a Canadian address on there for me as a point of contact as the majority of what they do, they do online now. Apart from travelling costs, for interview/medical, is there any other reason I should update my address/have my application moved. . . I just don't want to get to an interview and have it flagged or something because I haven't updated it. . . i.e. drama!

What you do you think?

As always, thank you in advance for your always speedy, and informed advice!

Don't worry if you don't know the outcome.

Let your highest ideals guide you through the process.

In the end, it's your integrity that will have the most impact on your happiness.

I'm not an expert on changing addresses, but from what I've read about it (and I've seen a lot of posts about the address issue) DON'T change your address. I've read it's nothing but a hassle, and NVC doesn't get the paperwork in right away. So leave your Canadian address. It's more or less to know the information that is sent there is safe (and you obviously know it will be).

The only major reason I could see having to change your address is if your whole family moved elsewhere from that address. Then the next person living there could have all your NVC paperwork. That's the only major reason I would change it.

In your situation, I would just leave it!

Hope that helps! :thumbs:

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Good Morning Fountain of Knowledge!

Quick question, my Dad has just received a letter requesting the $70 fee for the AOS to begin processing my application.

My parents are divorced. My Mom lives in Canada. I live in the UK now. My application has always been a Canadian based application.

With the AOS, they are ask whether Canadian mailing address is still current for me. Which technically it is not. I was thinking of updating my application with my UK mailing address, but am wondering if that could be a bad move i.e. things take long enough with the NVC nevermind requesting that my application is sent from the Montreal Office to the London office.

I called the NVC and the agent on the phone said that it shouldn't be a problem to leave a Canadian address on there for me as a point of contact as the majority of what they do, they do online now. Apart from travelling costs, for interview/medical, is there any other reason I should update my address/have my application moved. . . I just don't want to get to an interview and have it flagged or something because I haven't updated it. . . i.e. drama!

What you do you think?

As always, thank you in advance for your always speedy, and informed advice!

I wouldn't change it unless you would prefer to have your interview etc in the UK.

Is your Father a U.S. citizen? No chance you have citizenship by descent?

Timeline

Is your Father a U.S. citizen? No chance you have citizenship by descent?

My Dad is a USC now, but was born in Ireland. I was born in Canada, but live in England now.

My Mom sold my family home (after 30 years) but they are having the mail redirected.

I am guessing with my Dad being my Agent of Choice, my mail being redirected, and everything being done by email, its best to just leave the address as is. . . I kinda had a feeling this could get messy fast.

Thanks for the input.

In the end, it's your integrity that will have the most impact on your happiness.

Timeline

Ahh, so I suppose he wasn't yet a U.S. citizen when you were born.

As for the change of address - it's up to you really, i'm sure the consulates can figure it out, might delay it a tad - however if you are happy to fly back to Canada for the interview then there is really no point.

I have heard of people changing their consulate, in fact there was a VJ member who was processing for Montreal - they had their case transferred to Ireland and interviewed there.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Hey, I guess we are in a similar situation. I am Family-based, F1 (my mother, USC petitioned for me) years back when I was still living in Europe. Now I've moved to Canada and the cut-off dates are approaching my PD so hopefully in July it will be current. I am expecting DS 3032 to arrive in mail soon.

But, no paperwork yet and I updated my address at NVC so that if anything, my benefitiary mail comes to Toronto. I also requested so called "case re-assignment to a different consular post" i.e. Montreal. They required a proof of my legal residence in Canada so I scanned and emailed it to them. There was one reason why I decided to move my case to Montreal: the unpredictable timelines of processing. NVC usually lets you know 4-6 weeks in advance what your interview date is, and gives you an appointment letter that is your pass to a medical exam. Now, of course you can take a medical exam in UK with a qualified doctor (list on the embassy website) and fly with your results to MTL for an interview. But, it may also happen that the interview is rescheduled or something. Additionally, even after the interview you will have to leave your passport at the consulate. They promise to return it within 5 business days, but no guarantees. So if you have only one passport and you have to travel back to the UK that might be a nuisance. I work so I can't just take off to Europe without announcing when I am coming back :hehe: That's why I decided to ask them to re-assign my case from Europe to Montreal.

Now, there is one serious drawback to having your interview in Montreal...they are completly clogged with applicants, so after your case is completed at NVC it may take another 6-8 weeks before your get to know your interview date, after that you have another 4-6 weeks of waiting for a visit in the consulate. I am not sure London is any better, but hard to imagine it could be any worse :no:

Do you know what your preference date is?

Mikey

Timeline

Hey Mikey,

We are totally in the same position family based F1 (my father, a USC petitioned for me)!

I think based on what you have said, and based on what I have read elsewhere I will keep my application in Canada. I am sure its no problem to move my application to London, but I am sure that will result in a delay. And the less confusion the better.

My PD date is Jan 2003.

I am not very clued up on this. I know my Dad has paid the $70 fee for my brother and my own application to begin proceedings. We also received a letter (by email) requesting us to select an agent to receive our mail, which we are gonna select my Dad. Other than that, thats all thats happened.

The backlog at Montreal sounds lame, but 12 weeks i.e. 6-8 weeks before your get to know your interview date, after that you have another 4-6 weeks of waiting for a visit in the consulate, is fine really. Thats only 3 months, and I am not desparate. I have applied for severance at work, and if I get that, I would have to leave my company by Oct 1st. I guess I'll just have to wait and see really. As for passports, I have two. So I'll just use the Eurozone one to travel on.

You sounds really informed, which is great, fully expect for me to be picking your brain!

Quinn

Edited by cdnabroad

Timeline

Bring on the questions! :) After this journey is over I think I will get my degree in US immigration law...LOL...joking, I don't think I have it in me for another 3 years of reading about quotas, forms, preference dates, etc.

I guess re-assigning your case to another consulate might delay your processing...I didn't find any info on that here but I have sent my request to NVC over a week ago and still no reply...so we'll see...the PD is not current yet so I am not in a big rush.

Timeline
Bring on the questions! :) After this journey is over I think I will get my degree in US immigration law...LOL...joking, I don't think I have it in me for another 3 years of reading about quotas, forms, preference dates, etc.

I guess re-assigning your case to another consulate might delay your processing...I didn't find any info on that here but I have sent my request to NVC over a week ago and still no reply...so we'll see...the PD is not current yet so I am not in a big rush.

I see cdnabroad's application took 6 years, is yours 6 years as well Mikey?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey,

It's going to be 7 years very soon....my petition was filed in 2002...

I see cdnabroad's application took 6 years, is yours 6 years as well Mikey?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.