US math guy

Getting your interview after I-864 & DS-230 NVC approval

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Based on a discussion I had with two NVC CSR's last night, here is my compilation of some notes on getting your interview date if your are going for a CR-1 / IR-1 visa and both the I-864 and DS-230 have both been approved by the NVC. Thought others might be interested or can tell me if some of the notes are wrong.

1. For the consulate at which the interview is due to occur, the name of the beneficiary is put on the list of those requiring an interview.

2. Having an earlier priority date can get you higher up on the list, but that is not the only factor in placement.

3. The interview is never scheduled for the month in which you get final NVC approval (except in China).

4. Rather what happens is as of the start of the second week of the month in which approval occurs, NVC contacts the consulate/embassy doing the interviews to find out how many slots they will have for CR-1/IR-1 visa interviews for the following month. So if for example your approval occurs in the first week of June, conceivably your interview could be scheduled for the month of July. In contrast if approval occurs in the third week of June, your name will not appear on the interview list until July, meaning the earliest possible interview month for you would be August.

5. The earliest possible interview month will not necesarily be the month for which you are scheduled. There may be for example be too many requests for a month relative to the slots that are available, meaning you will have to wait for a later month. It also means your notice of the interview date will likewise be delayed.

6. Anyway, once the NVC works it out with the consulate and has a specifc interview date and time, they should be e-mailing this information both to the benefiary and the petitioner. If for some reason you do not receive the info and you think you should have received such an e-mail; they said to wait until after the 15th of the month before calling the NVC.

7. I am pretty sure the interview is never scheduled on a U.S. Federal holiday or a holiday of the country with the consulate. Other than that, apparently it can be any weekday in the designated interview month, regardless of your priority date.

8. The notice of the NVC date is sent by e-mail to both the petitioner and the benefiiary shortly after it is assigned. Along with the notice you will received detailed instructions on what to bring to the interview and what else you must do beforehand, such as a medical exam. The time frame on when those items should be done I understand is also indicated.

9. If the benefiary cannot make the date and time that the NVC scheduled, the beneficiary has the option upon receiving the e-mail of requesting a different date and time. The NVC said for this purpose you should contact the consulate directly, not the NVC.

10. Often it would appear that the medical exam is done in the same city as the consulate doing the interview, but not always. See the following web site for an advance copy of the detailed medical instructions. Note towards the bottom of the web page is a drop-down where you enter the enter the first three letters from your NVC number to pull up the interviewing consulate (e.g., CDJ). Then you click on the Panel Physician link to pull up the relevant instructions.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3739.html

11. If you pass the medical exam and the interview, I believe they courier you the visa. So you do not get it the same day as the interview.

Stewart

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great info for those waiitng for an interview. Well done :thumbs:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thx for the info. It's really interesting. As for " if your are going for a CR-1 / IR-1 visa" I guess it is the same for family-based preferences (F1, F2A, etc). It seems like at the NVC stage all the cases are processed in a similar manner (correct me if I am wrong on that).

I also heard that some consulates have quotas for different categories but quite often interviews are are scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis (I read it in a press release from last year's information session for the media)

Based on a discussion I had with two NVC CSR's last night, here is my compilation of some notes on getting your interview date if your are going for a CR-1 / IR-1 visa and both the I-864 and DS-230 have both been approved by the NVC. Thought others might be interested or can tell me if some of the notes are wrong.

1. For the consulate at which the interview is due to occur, the name of the beneficiary is put on the list of those requiring an interview.

2. Having an earlier priority date can get you higher up on the list, but that is not the only factor in placement.

3. The interview is never scheduled for the month in which you get final NVC approval (except in China).

4. Rather what happens is as of the start of the second week of the month in which approval occurs, NVC contacts the consulate/embassy doing the interviews to find out how many slots they will have for CR-1/IR-1 visa interviews for the following month. So if for example your approval occurs in the first week of June, conceivably your interview could be scheduled for the month of July. In contrast if approval occurs in the third week of June, your name will not appear on the interview list until July, meaning the earliest possible interview month for you would be August.

5. The earliest possible interview month will not necesarily be the month for which you are scheduled. There may be for example be too many requests for a month relative to the slots that are available, meaning you will have to wait for a later month. It also means your notice of the interview date will likewise be delayed.

6. Anyway, once the NVC works it out with the consulate and has a specifc interview date and time, they should be e-mailing this information both to the benefiary and the petitioner. If for some reason you do not receive the info and you think you should have received such an e-mail; they said to wait until after the 15th of the month before calling the NVC.

7. I am pretty sure the interview is never scheduled on a U.S. Federal holiday or a holiday of the country with the consulate. Other than that, apparently it can be any weekday in the designated interview month, regardless of your priority date.

8. The notice of the NVC date is sent by e-mail to both the petitioner and the benefiiary shortly after it is assigned. Along with the notice you will received detailed instructions on what to bring to the interview and what else you must do beforehand, such as a medical exam. The time frame on when those items should be done I understand is also indicated.

9. If the benefiary cannot make the date and time that the NVC scheduled, the beneficiary has the option upon receiving the e-mail of requesting a different date and time. The NVC said for this purpose you should contact the consulate directly, not the NVC.

10. Often it would appear that the medical exam is done in the same city as the consulate doing the interview, but not always. See the following web site for an advance copy of the detailed medical instructions. Note towards the bottom of the web page is a drop-down where you enter the enter the first three letters from your NVC number to pull up the interviewing consulate (e.g., CDJ). Then you click on the Panel Physician link to pull up the relevant instructions.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3739.html

11. If you pass the medical exam and the interview, I believe they courier you the visa. So you do not get it the same day as the interview.

Thanks so much for the above information. It clarifies the situation. I'm hoping for a July interview as case was complete in May 2009. Hopefully we should hear something by next week.

ROC Journey
08-17-11......ROC Package mailed to VSC. I can't believe 2 years have passed by already!!
08-20-11......Package received at VSC, signed for by D. Reynaud.
08-24-11......Check cashed
08-26-11......NOA1 received, dated 8/22/11
08-10-11......Biometrics notification - appointment on 09-21-2011
09-21-11......Biometrics in Charleston, WV.
06-06-12......I-751 Approved AT LAST!!!
06-18-12......10 Year green card arrived.
Citizenship Journey
07-16-12......N400 Application mailed (Lewisville).
07-25-12......Check cashed and acceptance text received.
08-10-12......Biometrics in Charleston, WV.
09-01-12......Interview letter received.
10-05-12......Interview scheduled in Norfolk VA.

04-25-13......Oath Ceremony - Roanoke, VA - US Citizen at last!!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.