2 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I just filed the I-130 petition at the Kuwait embassy this week. Everything seemed to go very smoothly..... We arrived early and our number was called after about 45 minutes of waiting. The officer produced a checklist and accepted all of our documents, including the I-130, DS-230 Part 1, G-325A, photos, etc. He said everything was good and to take a seat and wait to be called again.

After about another hour wait we were called again for a short interview. She asked me some standard questions: How long have you lived in Kuwait, How did you meet, when did you get married, etc. The officer then said the I-130 petition was complete here and that it would be sent to the DHS office in Athens, Greece for investigation. She said she didn't see any issues and that it would be approved in about 2 weeks. The officer said we should receive a package by DHL in about 2 weeks or so...

I was excited at this point and was mentally patting myself on the back for taking so much time organizing the documents. Then she went on to say that we could complete the package (medicals, police cert, I-864, etc) and schedule her interview. However, she said that the officer will likely deny her visa until I can prove that I am returning to the US to live permanently. I was shocked.... She said that I need to provide a letter from my employer that said I was transferring back to the US to work.

Many of my friends have gone through the same process without any issues. I am have been a military contractor in Kuwait working for a US company for the last 6 years, I have official DoD military order for Kuwait, an employment with a definite end date, and have always maintained a permanent address in the US. All of my credit cards, bank statements, investment accounts, etc all use my US address. I asked some of my friends and that they said they are probably just trying to discourage me....

Does anyone have any advice?

Per Immigration and Naturalization Act Section 319 (B) (1) I believe I qualify for employment abroad based on the following:

Qualifying Overseas Employment - INA

Section 319(B)(1)

Section 319(B) (1) defines qualifying employment abroad

as follows:

In the employment of:

- The Government of the United States;

- An American firm or corporation engaged

in whole or in part in the development of

foreign trade and commerce with the United

States or a subsidiary thereof;

Thanks for the advise!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/25/2009 - DCF I-130 in Kuwait

06/01/2009 - Approved by DHS/UCIS

06/01/2009 - Packet 3 received with approval email

07/05/2009 - Uzbek Police report received

07/07/2009 - Uzbek Police report authenticated by embassy

07/08/2009 - Medical Exams completed

07/30/2009 - Birth certificate translated and authenticated

08/12/2009 - Kuwait police certificate requested (10 days to process)

08/13/2009 - Sent email to embassy to request interview appointment date

08/16/2009 - Kuwait embassy responded with interview date

08/26/2009 - Interview for wife!!!

08/26/2009 - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

09/01/2009 - Passport with visa and immigration package received by DHL

10/05/2009 - POE at DFW. No issues, very quick

10/15/2009 - Applied for SSN

10/15/2009 - Back to Kuwait to pack and move to Germany

Now working on expedited naturalization....

02/18/2010 - Now working in Germany. Filed N-400 under INA sectin 319(b)

02/24/2010 - Received in Lincoln, NE

03/17/2010 - Check Cashed

03/26/2010 - NOA received requesting additonal payment for Biometrics even through 2 fingerprint cards were supplied with the application.

03/29/2010 - Mailed additional check for $80

04/12/2010 - Biometrics check cashed

04/19/2010 - NOA received saying that payment for biometrics was received

05/11/2010 - Email alert saying case is now in Testing and Interview status. Waiting for interview appointment.

06/15/2010 - Passed Naturalization exam. Same day Oath Ceremony

06/17/2010 - Applied for US Passport

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

I don't have any exact advice for your situation, but I know that when you apply DCF you have to prove domicile back in the states. Did you show them all of your bank statements from the US with your permanent US address on it?

If not, show them all of those things. Show them that you voted in the last election, show them that you still get mail in the US. If all they are asking for is a letter from your employer saying that you are moving back to the US, then get that. You stated that your employer does know that you are moving back to the states, so would it be a big deal to get that letter? Maybe they would want more than that, maybe not.

Where do you and your fiancee intend to live when you get to the states? When me and my ex were moving from London to the US we were in contact with a rental agency (for an apartment) in the states though email and snail mail. We applied for an appartment and were approved all through mail and email. I never even talked to them on the phone. If they are insisting that you have a lease (which would seem silly since most consulates don't require this, but whatever), then you could get that if you had too without going to the US.

My advice, find out EXACTLY what the consulate wants. If they are only asking for a letter from your current employer saying you are transferring back to the states, then that seems quite easy to get (but maybe I don't know the situation). Good luck and if they ask for anything else, let us know!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.