ardilla

Re-entering the US

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi all,

We just returned from a trip outside the US. We were surprised that my husband had to have fingerprints and a photo taken at the immigration line in Newark. From what we could tell, all the PRs were required to have these photo/fingerprints done. When we returned last year (via detroit) he did not have to do this, only visitors were required to have this done at that time.

Has something changed?

Hi all,

We just returned from a trip outside the US. We were surprised that my husband had to have fingerprints and a photo taken at the immigration line in Newark. From what we could tell, all the PRs were required to have these photo/fingerprints done. When we returned last year (via detroit) he did not have to do this, only visitors were required to have this done at that time.

Has something changed?

Hi ardilla,

I have the same experience when I landed at Washington Dulles from a trip from homeland. They took my photo and finger prints. I think it's a common practice now just to ensure who enters and who leaves the country for security purposes and we got nothing to worry about it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Good to hear about that possibility, last year coming back from a trip to Brazil the officer started asking for my prints and then went "What am I saying? You're a resident, you don't need this" and joked with me and waved me through. So I guess now I can expect to be fingerprinted. No problem.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

That started in December:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10126625-38.html

December 18, 2008 5:50 PM PST

DHS wants green card holders' fingerprints

by Stephanie Condon

Millions of green card holders will be fingerprinted and photographed every time they enter the United States as part of an expansion of a controversial biometric program, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced on Thursday.

The expansion of the US-VISIT program to permanent residents--also known as green card holders--takes effect on January 18, 2009. At the moment, the program's biometric requirements apply to foreign citizens with a non-immigrant visa or those traveling as part of the so-called Visa Waiver program.

Anyone screened as part of the US-VISIT program must provide digital fingerprints and a photograph at the border, plus date of birth, address while in the country, and other information that the U.S. government deems appropriate. The information is checked against a government database of known terrorists and criminals. Refusing to give prints of all 10 fingers will result in being denied entry to the country.

"Expanding enrollment in US-VISIT is a positive step forward in a process designed to further improve public safety and national security while ensuring the integrity of the immigration system," the DHS said in a statement. "Linking a person's biometric information to his or her travel documents reduces the risk that a traveler's identity or documents could be intentionally misused by someone attempting to gain entry into the United States."

The program has been controversial. Government auditors have concluded that US-VISIT has "significant information security control weaknesses that place sensitive and personally identifiable information at increased risk of unauthorized and possibly undetected disclosure and modification, misuse, and destruction." Privacy groups have called it the "most elaborate system of identification in the United States."

Some visitors to the U.S. will continue to remain exempt, including non-U.S. citizens younger than 14 or older than 79, as well as Canadian citizens on short-term visits under B visas. US-VISIT stands for United States Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology.

The program was implemented in 2003, but a report (PDF) released by the Government Accountability Office this month details the shortcomings of the program, noting that "program planning and execution limitations and weaknesses...confront DHS in its quest to deliver US-VISIT capabilities and value in a timely and cost-effective manner."

The report said the DHS has not taken action to address some of the program's risks, even though they have been known for years. While the department has taken many steps aimed at improving the management of US-VISIT, the report said, more needs to be done, or else "program performance, transparency, and accountability will suffer."

Privacy and security are two of the main challenges facing US-VISIT, its chief information officer said at a biometrics conference in October. However, the program has virtually erased the once-prominent problem of document fraud at U.S. borders, its director said.

The Department of Homeland Security has not announced any plans to fingerprint U.S. citizens at the border. When going through the green card process, current applicants are required to be fingerprinted.

CNET's Declan McCullagh contributed to this report.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

The most annoying POE is Chicago that I have been through this year. The LPRs have to join the visitors line there and not the Citizens line. Be prepared for a possible long wait to get through immigration!

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

The most annoying POE is Chicago that I have been through this year. The LPRs have to join the visitors line there and not the Citizens line. Be prepared for a possible long wait to get through immigration!

Every time I came back - and ORD is the airport we use, always went to the USC/PR line, never visitor line. 2 times without my husband, once with him. Did someone direct you to the visitors' line?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'll be leaving the US through Chicago but returning through Washington.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

The electronic displays read: US Citizens only on one side(no queue). On the other side it said Permanent Residents and Visitors.(queued out of the roped area) (This was April 13th). I normally go through Detroit and have no problems there.

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.