MikeA

Affidavit of Support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am getting ready to submit the application for the K-1 to bring my fiancee here. I have held off because I have not worked for over a year. Last year I went to the Philippines twice and once this year. I understand adequate income is mandatory so I'm waiting till I have secured a job before I submit application. I will begin receiving social security benefits for me and my son beginning in July. I am hoping between that and a Job will be enough to qualify. My question is, does the USCIS look at social security as being better because its more of a guaranteed income? Also, does your year to date income have to equal the 125% of poverty level (there are me,my son,my fiancee and her son = $27,563 minimum)or just how do they figure it? I'm trying to determine how much I need to make between now and 6-7 months from now.

I am getting ready to submit the application for the K-1 to bring my fiancee here. I have held off because I have not worked for over a year. Last year I went to the Philippines twice and once this year. I understand adequate income is mandatory so I'm waiting till I have secured a job before I submit application. I will begin receiving social security benefits for me and my son beginning in July. I am hoping between that and a Job will be enough to qualify. My question is, does the USCIS look at social security as being better because its more of a guaranteed income? Also, does your year to date income have to equal the 125% of poverty level (there are me,my son,my fiancee and her son = $27,563 minimum)or just how do they figure it? I'm trying to determine how much I need to make between now and 6-7 months from now.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864p.pdf

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

i would suggest u get job first so that u can support u..ur son and ur fiancee as well as her child.its better to have a job when u are applying K1 coz the embassy of manila will need ur certification from employer as well as the taxes u remitted for the past year.hope this help.and if ur fiancee really loves you she will wait until u get a better job.

AOS Timeline

07.25.09 sent AOS,EAD,AP

07.27.09 received aos by j chyba

07.30.09 NOAs for AOS,EAD,AP

08.07.09 biometrics done

There is no "better" income. You will just have to meet the minimum guidelines.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
My question is, does the USCIS look at social security as being better because its more of a guaranteed income?

Social Security isn't really "guaranteed" any more than income from most jobs. No, they don't consider it any better.

Also, does your year to date income have to equal the 125% of poverty level (there are me,my son,my fiancee and her son = $27,563 minimum)or just how do they figure it? I'm trying to determine how much I need to make between now and 6-7 months from now.

No. Annual gross income is what counts. Not year to date.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

MikeA,

Good luke to you on job hunting. This is just a thought, but the USCIS may see getting a job recently as a bit of a wisk and if you were drawing on Social Security recently as another red flag. The reason I say this is the USICS wants to make sure your fiancee will not also have to draw on social security or any form of money from the Government to live. It is sure worth a try. If the request is rejected submit a request again after you have had a job awhile.

4-17-2009 sent K1 Petition

5-1-2009 USCIS received petition

5-4-2009 received NOA1 notice

7-17-2009 touched

7-20-2009 NOA2 received

8-3-2009 NVC received petition

8-4-2009 NVC sent petition to Manila

9-22-2009 Medical Exam (scar on lungs) will have sputum test done

9-28-2009 K1 visa interview (canceled)

12-02-2009 call the SLMEC for sputum test report out

12-07-2009 Medical passed

12-08-2009 CFO

December 16, 2009 visa Pink Slip

December 20, 2009 entered USA

With God's blessing

Dale and Pat

USCIS/Consular Officer will use your latest year's tax return for your income calculation.

More likely "Adjusted Gross Income" from tax return.

Social Security doesn't matter unless specific officer wants to check.

For this year's income, USCIS/Consular officer may ask for employment verification letter from your employer, which states your employment type - full time, or part time -, annual salary/income, and job position/title.

If your income is below the requirement, you can either have co-sponser from immediate family - check the instructions -, or use your assets to fill up the gap between the requirement and your income.

Asset value should be 3 times or 5 times more depending on the type of immigration visa.

Edited by moonhunt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You do not need to prove income to submit the I-129f, so you can do that now. Income documentation will come several months down the road.

SS retirement income OR SSDI is "counted" as income with proper documentation. SSI is NOT. There is no "better" or "worse" income. It is acceptable or not acceptable.

NO, your YTD does not have to exceed the guidelines, your "current annual income" must exceed the guidelines. If you receive a job to day paying $60,000 per year, your "current annual income" is $60,000. You would have a family of four for calculation purposes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
USCIS/Consular Officer will use your latest year's tax return for your income calculation.

For this year's income, USCIS/Consular officer may ask for employment verification letter from your employer, which states your employment type - full time, or part time -, annual salary/income, and job position/title.

If your income is below the requirement, you can either have co-sponser from immediate family - check the instructions -, or use your assets to fill up the gap between the requirement and your income.

Asset value should be 3 times or 5 times more depending on the type of immigration visa.

This is not entirely correct. Generally "current" income is used. Current GROSS income, what would be on line 22 (total income) of your tax return PLUS any oncome which would not be claimed there but is verifiable (child support and workmans comp are examples).

Last years tax is for reference only. An employment letter or award letter from SS can verify future employment prospects. generally they look to see that you have a history of earning money. Past year's tax returns do not need to meet this year's guidelines. You need to show them you make enough money that your fiancee will not become a public charge. The income guidelines are a way to do that.

To calculate your answer for current income, take your YTD GROSS income, divide by 5 (months) and multiply by 12. ADD to this any anticiapted and documentable changes...such as a recent raise, change in job, etc. This is your answer for the question of "current income". OR...if it works better for you, simply state your current annual income from a job. For example if you were making $25,000 at your former job, and got a new job making $40,000 last month...forget the calculation just state "$40,000". Either can be verified with check stubs, etc. Calculate it for the best that works for you. As long as it is verified with supporting documents, you are fine.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is not entirely correct. Generally "current" income is used. Current GROSS income, what would be on line 22 (total income) of your tax return PLUS any oncome which would not be claimed there but is verifiable (child support and workmans comp are examples).

Last years tax is for reference only. An employment letter or award letter from SS can verify future employment prospects. generally they look to see that you have a history of earning money. Past year's tax returns do not need to meet this year's guidelines. You need to show them you make enough money that your fiancee will not become a public charge. The income guidelines are a way to do that.

To calculate your answer for current income, take your YTD GROSS income, divide by 5 (months) and multiply by 12. ADD to this any anticiapted and documentable changes...such as a recent raise, change in job, etc. This is your answer for the question of "current income". OR...if it works better for you, simply state your current annual income from a job. For example if you were making $25,000 at your former job, and got a new job making $40,000 last month...forget the calculation just state "$40,000". Either can be verified with check stubs, etc. Calculate it for the best that works for you. As long as it is verified with supporting documents, you are fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.