endoftheroad

Who's going to China this June/July/August?

51 posts in this topic

another question...

what is the best way to travel from beijing to shanghai? if we decide to fly any recommendations for flights/agents? what about the overnight trains anyone done that?

thank you again!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
We just sent back pack 3 yesterday the 18th may my best guess is that we will get interview mid July.

the cheapest air tickets I have found are with SINGAPORE AIRLINES Hong Kong to San Francisco $518.84 and they are the same price all year not going up and down like all other airlines don't fly to Los angles it cost more from sfo to Tulsa $149.20 American Airlines.Total HKG to TUL $668.04 EACH.

this way I will have to book 2 different tickets and it is saving me about $1500.00 going this way for the 3 of us.

After you reach USA you can fly about any where for about $150.00. JUST BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR CONNECTION TIMMING IN SFO.

You aren't going there for the interview?

I was going to mention the Singapore Airlines deal. $1k is also good. I fly Cathay Pacific out of SFO and pay $1,200. That is direct to HK then train to GZ cuz the lay-over is like 10 hours. A friend flys Singapore Air often and says the service is good. Cathay Pacific is always excellent.

I might be going during this time period cuz I can tell my Fiancee is having mild freak-out.

Ok so now I am trying to make plans to go for interview. I want to fly into HK and then train it into Guangzhou. From what I can figure the trains only run until 7:30 at night. If I come in in the evening I guess I would have to stay overnight in HK, but I am concerned about cost, because if I am sitting at the airport in HK and need to stay somewhere it is probably very expensive. I like th eidea of training it for the view and experience, but is it cheaper and better just to fly into GUZ? Last year I flew to HK and took the train and stayed at the disneyland hotel and that was fun in the sun, but I am more interested in the good advice on what to do. Thanks

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2014 - N-400 mailed priority Phoenix lockbox
08-1x-2014 - N-400 package accepted

08-20-2014 - Check cashed

09-xx-2014 - NOA bio-metrics appointment

09-18-2014 - Bio-metrics appointment Columbus office

09-22-2014 - NOA letter scheduled interview 10-30-2014

10-30-2014 - Naturalization interview and test Columbus Ohio office.

Application changed to five year as mark reached while waiting for interview

Passed civic test and interview recommends approval !!!

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath
11-13-2014 - Case Status updated "We scheduled your oath ceremony"

11-14-2014 - NOA letter final interview and oath Tuesday 11-25-2014

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

- Applied US Passport at local post office

08-2016 - Received 10 year Q2 visa to visit China as a US citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Ok so now I am trying to make plans to go for interview. I want to fly into HK and then train it into Guangzhou. From what I can figure the trains only run until 7:30 at night. If I come in in the evening I guess I would have to stay overnight in HK, but I am concerned about cost, because if I am sitting at the airport in HK and need to stay somewhere it is probably very expensive. I like th eidea of training it for the view and experience, but is it cheaper and better just to fly into GUZ? Last year I flew to HK and took the train and stayed at the disneyland hotel and that was fun in the sun, but I am more interested in the good advice on what to do. Thanks

I did the exact same thing that you are thinking about doing (flying into Hong Kong and then take the train to GUZ) last month and in my case it was much more cost effective to do it that way instead of flying directly into GUZ even with 1 night in a HK hotel figured in. I was able to get a much cheaper airfare into HK than I could into GUZ. And yes you are right the last train to GUZ departs around 7:30pm - but the train ride was nice and very easy to do.

Timeline

I got plans through flychina.com columbus-newark-hong kong round trip 1075 all included. I will figure out how to take train to GZ the next day

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/

A website I use to get an idea of train scheds and prices within China (not HK). Get your SO in China to buy the tickets for you to get the best (and maybe better) deal.

Edited by usagroom

moving right along

Timeline

A website I use to get an idea of train scheds and prices within China (not HK). Get your SO in China to buy the tickets for you to get the best (and maybe better) deal.

Last time I looked HK to GUZ usually costs under $30 each way for an adult, under $12 for children, taking a couple hours. Trains leave often until about 8 pm.

What sites do you use to check train scheds and fares?

moving right along

Timeline

Last time I looked HK to GUZ usually costs under $30 each way for an adult, under $12 for children, taking a couple hours. Trains leave often until about 8 pm.

What sites do you use to check train scheds and fares?

This link shows you the fares between HK & GUZ - fares are shown in HK dollars. The price is $190HK or $25US/170rmb

http://www.it3.mtr.com.hk/B2C/UserPage/sysFareTable_Eng.asp

This link shows the schedule of the HK/GUZ train - 12 trains run daily.

http://www.it3.mtr.com.hk/B2C/UserPage/sysTimeTable_Eng.asp

Timeline
This link shows you the fares between HK & GUZ - fares are shown in HK dollars. The price is $190HK or $25US/170rmb

http://www.it3.mtr.com.hk/B2C/UserPage/sysFareTable_Eng.asp

This link shows the schedule of the HK/GUZ train - 12 trains run daily.

http://www.it3.mtr.com.hk/B2C/UserPage/sysTimeTable_Eng.asp

Room service! Thanks.

moving right along

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
Of course congratulations on the successful interview. Explain how you got outta GUZ (plane/train/etc.) and how you are getting back here to the MidWest. Maybe do so in the China forum. I am going to GUZ in the next few months and would like to know how others did it.

Thank you for your comment. That is a good question and the truth is that there are many ways to get to GUZ. The way I got there was not very pleasant. I flew to Hong Kong because a round trip rate from Chicago was only about $900. The thing is that Hong Kong isn't exactly on the same system as mainland China, so if you fly into Hong Kong, and take a bus to GUZ, about a 3 hour ride and not expensive. You have to go through customs leaving HK, then on the bus ride, when you officially leave HK and enter China, you have to go through immigration into mainland China. That wouldn't be so bad if you just got off the bus and showed your papers but not so. YOu have to take your bags off of the bus and go into some type of terminal, while inside you do the normal immigration routine which I never understand. Then you leave on the other side of the terminal and hope you find your bus. It gets tiring because this is at the end of a long flight and you can't wait to get to your hotel.

After I got there I found that another way to get to GUZ is to fly in to Hong Kong and then take the Ferry directly from the airport. If you do it like that, the only customs you have to deal with is immigration when entering China. It is like you were never in HK. I met my girl in GUZ so I went there from the states. If you go to your girls hometown first, then flying to GUZ is easy. It is a domestic flight.

For me, the route I choose to get to GUZ was a big mistake. Flying for 15 hours, then the 3 hour bus ride, my feet got very swollen up. I didn't allow for a couple of days for my body to recover and had duties to perform like going to the American Citizens Hour and such for the next 3 days. The last day being Ping's interview. The best advice I can give anyone is to get there a couple of days early. It is a long dusty trip. Southern China is HOT and HUMID and the people there are not like in the North.

I hope I answered your question. If not, just message me another question. This is a hard subject to explain. I need to know where you will be coming to GUZ from and where you will go after.

Good Luck when you go.

I was thinking about the train from HK to GUZ. Never thought about the ferry. Anyone else do it that way?

Thanks for the indepth reponse!

moving right along

Timeline

I will try to let you know how it goes. My plan seems to be simple enough, I am flying into HK in the evening, and taking hotel shuttle to a hotel right next to the train station, then I will sleep or whatever overnight until checkout, then I will leave the hotel walk a minute to train station and take a 12:30ish or afternoon train to GZ and then end up at the east train station in GZ where my wife will be waiting to meet me. I don't know how long customs will be on any part of this but I have been to China in the Olympics and during the first over done month of H1N1 checks multiple forms temperatures taken etc, and nothing could be as bad as those experiences. I thought during the Olympics I would not be allowed to stay the airport officers pulled me and my stuff into the back and interrogated to me at length. When I gave them my girl's phone number they called her and they let me go immediately.

I have not made plans for return yet as I only have flight booked out of HK and after the interview with the visa in our sweaty hands we will decide exactly what to do.

I was thinking about the train from HK to GUZ. Never thought about the ferry. Anyone else do it that way?

Thanks for the indepth reponse!

Timeline

Going through Customs/Immigration is nothing to worry about when taking the train between HK & GUZ as you do not have to stop at the border and get off the train to go through immigration like you do when taking the bus. You go through exit Customs/Immigration at the HK or GUZ train station (depending where you are departing from) and then go through entry Customs/Immigration when you arrive at either GUZ or HK. Both check points are quick and easy to get through. I actually transited between HK and China 3 separate times via the train on my last trip (we took a shopping trip to HK while waiting for the visa to be printed) and had no problems on either end.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Language may be you biggest problem, I find even the Chinese have difficulty with each other because of the many dialects. Hotels in Kowloon are not that expensive , try the Dorsett Kowloon. under $100.00 a night.

Time goes by..

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
Going through Customs/Immigration is nothing to worry about when taking the train between HK & GUZ as you do not have to stop at the border and get off the train to go through immigration like you do when taking the bus. You go through exit Customs/Immigration at the HK or GUZ train station (depending where you are departing from) and then go through entry Customs/Immigration when you arrive at either GUZ or HK. Both check points are quick and easy to get through. I actually transited between HK and China 3 separate times via the train on my last trip (we took a shopping trip to HK while waiting for the visa to be printed) and had no problems on either end.

Very easy going they gave out water and it was not crowded at all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Very easy going they gave out water and it was not crowded at all.

Hi Dan,

Have fun!

I am here watching you. I will leave in a week.

Steve

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.