nowhereman

Retiring in the Philippines

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

After I retire from the Army I intend on retiring in the Philippines. I've googled the topic & haven't found as much info as I thought I would. Anyone have some insight on the best places to retire & other pertinent info?

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

After I retire from the Army I intend on retiring in the Philippines. I've googled the topic & haven't found as much info as I thought I would. Anyone have some insight on the best places to retire & other pertinent info?

I would try looking into Tagaytay Highlands if you love the peace and quiet.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Timeline

http://www.islandsproperties.com

you can search here for houses :)

dancingbaby.gif

(Jai Ho)No there is nothing that can stop us(Jai Ho)

Nothing can ever come between us,(Jai Ho)

So come and dance with me,

Jai Ho! (oohh)

She has the answer to everything and the solution to nothing

There is a web site called livingincebu.com. It makes interesting reading even if you are not planning to retire in Cebu.

The site is run by an expat, and many of the members are expats.

Ditto! At the same time if you don't speak Tagalog or the local dialect forget it or learn it.

Only social life most puti have that don't know the language is drinking with other expats and chasing young maganda pinay.

Check on the medical also.

DON'T burn your bridges in your home country.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Ditto! At the same time if you don't speak Tagalog or the local dialect forget it or learn it.

Only social life most puti have that don't know the language is drinking with other expats and chasing young maganda pinay.

I won't burn bridges in the USA (love my country), but I can live like a king in the Philippines on a military retirement. One thing I will have to check into is how Tricare (health insurance) would work.

I won't burn bridges in the USA (love my country), but I can live like a king in the Philippines on a military retirement. One thing I will have to check into is how Tricare (health insurance) would work.

There is a yahoo group called livinginthephilippines with a lot of good information in it, including about how tricare works there. Bottom line on healthcare is don't think about it unless you are healthy.

In my opinion it's a bad idea to think about living there just for the economic benefits. Be sure in advance that you love the people and the culture. The Philippines has a lot of rough edges that drive many Americans crazy. It's also tough if you don't have the support of a local family including the extended family of sponsors and friends. Things get done through relationships. If you are single a very careful choice of a filipina mate and her family will make all the difference.

Timeline

03-05-2007 Met Jan online

07-05-2007 Flew to the Philippines to meet Jan

10-02-2007 2nd trip to the P.I.

10-04-2007 Obtained "Legal Capacity to Marry" document at the US Embassy in Manila

10-05-2007 Talked to Jan's father about my intentions

10-05-2007 Proposed to Jan

10-08-2007 Applied for marriage license

10-13-2007 Talked to Pastor at St Stephen's Lutheran Church in Baguio

12-22-2007 Our wedding day

04-01-2008 I-130 package sent

04-03-2008 4th trip to the P.I.

04-14-2008 NOA1 received

07-17-2008 NOA2 email received

07-22-2008 NVC Case# generated

07-28-2008 AOS fee paid

07-31-2008 5th trip to the P.I.

08-11-2008 Choice of agent form sent

08-15-2008 Jan attends CFO seminar

08-21-2008 AOS package sent

08-22-2008 Jan applies for passport

08-25-2008 IV Bill received

08-25-2008 IV Bill paid online

09-11-2008 Jan gets her passport

09-12-2008 DS-230 package sent

09-23-2008 Case Complete at NVC

10-03-2008 Appointment made

10-11-2008 Appointment letter received

11-13-2008 Interview date

12-12-2008 HK police clearance sent to NVC

01-15-2009 Manila receives HK police clearance and gives final visa approval

01-16-2009 "SHIPMENT RELEASED BY EMBASSY"

01-21-2009 Visa delivered!

02-09-2009 Flight to Seattle

Timeline

There is a yahoo group called livinginthephilippines with a lot of good information in it, including about how tricare works there. Bottom line on healthcare is don't think about it unless you are healthy.

In my opinion it's a bad idea to think about living there just for the economic benefits. Be sure in advance that you love the people and the culture. The Philippines has a lot of rough edges that drive many Americans crazy. It's also tough if you don't have the support of a local family including the extended family of sponsors and friends. Things get done through relationships. If you are single a very careful choice of a filipina mate and her family will make all the difference.

Good points, but the cost of living is only one of many reasons I'm seriously considering retiring in the Philippines (my wife is filipino & of course that is a big part of the equation). I do love the culture, food, climate, etc. & being in the military has exposed me to many different cultures so the culture shock will be relatively minimal.

Many foreigners specially Americans are retiring in Manila, Angeles,Clark Pampanga where there's Airforce Base,in Olongapo,Subic Bay where there's US Naval base,Puerto Galera,Mindoro,Palawan,Cebu,Boracay.

I am from Olongapo City and there are a lots of foreigners who are living and retiring there.You can buy a house and lot there for 1 to 1.5 million pesos with 2 to 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms or buy a house and lot near the beaches there.

Me and my husband plan to retire also in the PI..it's nice to live there and of course at the same time we will still visit US because it's his homeland and our daughter too.

N-400 Naturalization

04/25/2012 - sent N-400 package to USCIS Dallas

04/28/2012 - package delivered at USCIS Dallas

I-751 Removal of Condition

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

03/24/2011 - package delivered at VSC according to USPS tracking

03/25/2011 - package received by Center Director according to Return receipt

04/04/2011 - NOA received - dated 03/25/2011

04/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice received -notice date 04/08/2011

04/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment - Done!

10/14/2011 - Card Production Email

10/17/2011 - Approval Notice received - dated 10/06/2011

11/04/2011 - 10yrs green card received

you been in the philippines? it depends on where your wife's hometown. it will be good if you live on where her hometown is, as long as it is not in mindanao (south area). just check at the internet on where the best city to live in the philippines. we are planning to retire there too but we will maintain a house here in the US for vacation. Good Luck.

Timeline

Agree with Tagaytay :thumbs: Beautiful and close enough to Manila when needed. I might just head that way myself when/if I ever retire.

I never would have believed my journey to happiness would begin with something called an "I-129F"

03/19/09 - I-129F Sent

03/20/09 - NOA1 (rec'd harcopy 3/26/09)

03/24/09 - Check cleared

03/25/09 - Touched

8/12/09 - Touched (4 hours before NOA2 email)

8/12/09 - NOA2 email received

***Received email at noon (Weds)

***USCIS site did update with the status

***Was 113 on Berkeley list; 156 on VJ list

Hi, my husband is a retired US Navy and lived in the Philippines for almost 6 years. He just moved here in US last August of 2008 because of health problem which is ok now. We used TRICARE there but they charge too much, they are rip off but I think it depends on the hospital or clinic you will try to visit. Well, except tricare, he got VA in Manila which where he got his general check up every 6 months for free and free medicines too if you need them.

We had a good life in PI, we didn't have to work because husband pension is more than enough for us because we dont have kids but we're sending my little niece in school. Well, anyway goodluck to you retiring in PI.

img0725ng.jpg

as1cxMsVM3D0000Mjk2bHN8MDA5Njk4c3xXZVwncmUgbWFycmllZCBmb3Ig.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Is that the main reason why lots of foreign men most especially kano love to retire there in PI? :no:pag wala ang pusa naglalaro and daga. :unsure:

Edited by lotus101

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Timeline

Google this,,,,,,,,,,,,

PLRA, Philippines......

SRRV, Philippines....

Philippine Embassy,,SRRV.....

10/05/08--We met on Cherry Blossoms..

------------Many, many, many phone calls, texts, emails, cam chats..

02/26/09--Met in Manila. She has more charm than any 10 women I've ever met,,,,, put together..

------------Traveled around Northern Luzon for a month,,,, Baguio City, Laoag City, Pagudpud..

------------Spent a lot of time in Vigan,,, what a lovely city..

03/23/09--Finally,,,, in Manila,,,, I got the guts to ask her to marry me,,,, she actually said yes!!..

03/25/09--Returned home..

------------The I129F was burning my hands..

04/06/09--NOA1..

07/07/09--Going back to where my heart is.... Trip #2.....

08/10/09--5 weeks seemed like 5 minutes..... I'm back home and my heart is still in the Islands.

08/23/09--NOA2....... Tears of joy.....

------------So far,,,,,, so good......

09/22/09--FINALLY,,,, after 30 days,,,,,, left NVC,,,,,, headed for Manila.... More tears of joy..........

10/16/09--FINALLY got Packet #3,,,,, 24 days and 2 super typhoons later......

11/02/09--Going back to where my heart is,,,,,, again..... Trip #3.....

------------WOW WEEEE,,,,, can those Filipinas cast a magic spell or what!!!!!!!!!!

11/12/09--Interview date.... All prayers are more than welcome....

11/12/09--PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God...........

11/13/09--PDOS complete.......

11/14/09--Fly to Laoag......

11/15/09--GREAT FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/19/09--Visa delivered to Ilocos Sur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/29/09--Big going away party in Nagbettedan........

12/01/09--CFO complete........

12/05/09--FINALLY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, going home...............

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.