txladykat

My DCF Experience in Denmark

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

We showed up on May 1 for our appointment to file our I-130. To start with, they took the "walk ins" before us, even though we were the first to arrive AND had an appointment, so I was a bit surprised by this.

So, they finally get to us and say there is some confusion to my paperwork since I didn't submit my residence permit. I again explained that I had not yet received it because Denmark was taking about 13 months to process. I had submitted other proof via email, which they replied to and confirmed it was satisfactory and gave us the appointment. This is why we were surprised at their comments. Finally, they agreed all was well and we could file our application.

So, now the filing - very simple, a clerk at the window takes all your paperwork, reviews it, and gives you a form to go to the next window and pay the fee, which we did (btw, they say if you have a US credit/debit card, its best to pay with that as their bank processing is in the US, and you won't get charged the conversion from USD to DKK). So, I think the funniest part is the lady reviewing our paperwork could not figure out how to do the date stamp to stamp all our paperwork...after 20 minutes, I offered to show her how to do it, and she gave me a very curt "you are not allowed to touch it"...#######, its only a date stamp, LOL. She had to go get the consular to help her! Soooo, as she takes her time going through our paperwork, another lady offers to review our 864, which was all in order.

Finally, she says the paperwork is fine, and she will submit to the consular, and we should have a seat and wait. So we wait about 15 minutes and the consular comes out. He calls us both up to the window (although my husband wasn't required to be there). Surprisingly, he starts asking us questions...first, how we met (on a musician fansite we explain), so then he asks us what our favorite song is by this particular musician, we reply (the consular isn't really even listening though), he asks how long we knew each other before marrying (we answer 9 months), he asks my husband where I lived when we met (my husband recites my address in the US), he asks my husband how many children I have (my husband replies), he asks if we have a house lease in Denmark (we reply yes), so he shuffles through our papers several times, and says ok, they will send to the US..expect to hear in two weeks, blah blah...

...and that was it.

I just thought it strange that they asked interview type questions at the filing appointment...so it shall be interesting to see what they ask during the actual interview!

Oh, and we asked to receive our packets by email since we are traveling..they said no.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just an update. After filing the I-130, we both returned to the states. Our packet 3 was sent to my in-laws in Denmark, and they just faxed it to us. We filled it out and sent it back to the embassy, waited a couple weeks and then emailed for a status (which seems to always prompt them to do something). That same day they sent out our interview notice (again to my inlaws who faxed it to us). Surprisingly, before sending it though, they called my husband to tell him of the date and make sure that date was good for him.

Sooo..he had his interview July 1st. Took them two hours to review the paperwork (they just went through it several times to make sure nothing was missing). All our paperwork was in order, nothing missing and no changes necessary. The consulate remembered my husband and said "oh, I remember you. I asked yall questions at the I-130 filing, so I don't have any questions". They had told him on the phone that he could pick up his visa on the day after the interview. When he mentioned this at the interview, they said this was not possible as the following day (Thursday) is not a walk in day at the embassy and he would need to return the following week on Tues or Friday, which is their walk in days. He left and then sent them an email explaining they had told him previously he could pick it up on Thursday and that he had travel plans for Friday already booked. Surprisingly, they were very nice and said they wouldn't allow him in the building but if he would meet outside the embassy at exactly 3:00 they would come outside and give him his visa, which of course he did.

Soo...filed I-130 on May 1, interview on July 1, very few questions asked (and not even at the interview), visa received July 2nd, flew to US on July 3rd. His POE was unevententful, took all of 15 minutes, and that even included standing in the immigration line after exiting the plane!

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
So, they finally get to us and say there is some confusion to my paperwork since I didn't submit my residence permit. I again explained that I had not yet received it because Denmark was taking about 13 months to process. I had submitted other proof via email, which they replied to and confirmed it was satisfactory and gave us the appointment. This is why we were surprised at their comments. Finally, they agreed all was well and we could file our application.

I'm having a similar issue. I want to do DCF but haven't received permanent residency yet for Turkey though we have lived here since Dec. 08 and have a Turkish bank account, Turkish tax cards and a 1 year lease on an apartment. So what other evidence did you submit?

Timeline

I submitted a copy of my lease agreement, a copy of the receipt showing I filed for residency, utility bills, school enrollment records for my kids, a copy my canceled return ticket to the US and a copy of my passport showing I had been in the country continuously since my arrival in October 08. I didn't actually apply for residency until Dec 08, so they started calculating my 6 months from the day I arrived in Denmark, which was October 28th.

Sounds like you had no problems at all in Denmark.... I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. My wife and I aren't planning to return to the US until March next year so we won't schedule her interview until around November. The Kuwait embassy seems to be more strict these days on providing proof of domicile along with proof that you are actually immigrating back to the US with your spouse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/25/2009 - DCF I-130 in Kuwait

06/01/2009 - Approved by DHS/UCIS

06/01/2009 - Packet 3 received with approval email

07/05/2009 - Uzbek Police report received

07/07/2009 - Uzbek Police report authenticated by embassy

07/08/2009 - Medical Exams completed

07/30/2009 - Birth certificate translated and authenticated

08/12/2009 - Kuwait police certificate requested (10 days to process)

08/13/2009 - Sent email to embassy to request interview appointment date

08/16/2009 - Kuwait embassy responded with interview date

08/26/2009 - Interview for wife!!!

08/26/2009 - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

09/01/2009 - Passport with visa and immigration package received by DHL

10/05/2009 - POE at DFW. No issues, very quick

10/15/2009 - Applied for SSN

10/15/2009 - Back to Kuwait to pack and move to Germany

Now working on expedited naturalization....

02/18/2010 - Now working in Germany. Filed N-400 under INA sectin 319(b)

02/24/2010 - Received in Lincoln, NE

03/17/2010 - Check Cashed

03/26/2010 - NOA received requesting additonal payment for Biometrics even through 2 fingerprint cards were supplied with the application.

03/29/2010 - Mailed additional check for $80

04/12/2010 - Biometrics check cashed

04/19/2010 - NOA received saying that payment for biometrics was received

05/11/2010 - Email alert saying case is now in Testing and Interview status. Waiting for interview appointment.

06/15/2010 - Passed Naturalization exam. Same day Oath Ceremony

06/17/2010 - Applied for US Passport

• 2 years later...

Just an update. After filing the I-130, we both returned to the states. Our packet 3 was sent to my in-laws in Denmark, and they just faxed it to us. We filled it out and sent it back to the embassy, waited a couple weeks and then emailed for a status (which seems to always prompt them to do something). That same day they sent out our interview notice (again to my inlaws who faxed it to us). Surprisingly, before sending it though, they called my husband to tell him of the date and make sure that date was good for him.

Sooo..he had his interview July 1st. Took them two hours to review the paperwork (they just went through it several times to make sure nothing was missing). All our paperwork was in order, nothing missing and no changes necessary. The consulate remembered my husband and said "oh, I remember you. I asked yall questions at the I-130 filing, so I don't have any questions". They had told him on the phone that he could pick up his visa on the day after the interview. When he mentioned this at the interview, they said this was not possible as the following day (Thursday) is not a walk in day at the embassy and he would need to return the following week on Tues or Friday, which is their walk in days. He left and then sent them an email explaining they had told him previously he could pick it up on Thursday and that he had travel plans for Friday already booked. Surprisingly, they were very nice and said they wouldn't allow him in the building but if he would meet outside the embassy at exactly 3:00 they would come outside and give him his visa, which of course he did.

Soo...filed I-130 on May 1, interview on July 1, very few questions asked (and not even at the interview), visa received July 2nd, flew to US on July 3rd. His POE was unevententful, took all of 15 minutes, and that even included standing in the immigration line after exiting the plane!

Hej,

Its more then 22 days since my USC wife launched I-130 petition in US embassy Copenhagen for me. Is it normal ?

PAKISTANI CITIZEN, LIVING IN DENMARK

MARRIED IN SAN FRANCISCO, CA : SEPTEMBER 2010
I-130 PETITION: JUNE 2011 { IN DENMARK (DCF) FROM MY WIFE }
INTERVIEW: 31 AUGUST 2011
RESULT: ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING
AP FINISHED = 2ND NOVEMBER 2011
PASSPORT SUBMITTED TO EMBASSY = 5TH NOVEMBER
VISA IN HAND = 8TH NOVEMBER 2011

LANDED SAN FRANCISCO AS IMMIGRANT = NOVEMBER 14th, 2011

N400 (Application for Naturalization) = AUGUST 18th , 2014

Biometrics = SEPTEMBER 18th, 2014

Yellow Letter = OCTOBER 04th, 2014

INLINE = DECEMBER 29th, 2014

CITIZENSHIP INTERVIEW (N400) = February 3rd, 2015

OATH Ceremony = February 19th, 2015

Passport received = March 3rd , 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.