torrent29

Filing anew for a k-3 - address changes -

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay, so a while back I got a k-1 visa. And we screwed up. We didnt realize that when my wife left the country to return for her studies she would null her visa and we would basically have to start fresh with a k-3 visa.

So back to the beginning and here we go again.

I have a couple of questions -

My wife's passport still has her original maiden name so when I file the paperwork I intend to keep it listed as such rather then have it listed with her new name. I do not foresee this being a problem our intention is to do all the new stuff here in the states.

She has been here before on a k-1 visa and returned to Mexico, but now that we have to begin filing anew I am hoping that we will not have any major problems because of this. Our intentions were correct but we admittedly screwed up. We did not file a change of status before she left and this was our mistake.

Now because I am moving I went to begin the filing but I was wondering if I could use a different mailing address, or if this would cause problems. The last thing I really want to do is for my NOA's to show up at my old address and to be lost in the mail.

Any help in finding the answers to this question would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

USCIS understands that you might move, you can file with the new address on the I-130 and the I-129F.

However, I'd just go for the I-130 and forgoe the K-3. It is a far superior visa and seems to be being processed faster (and cheaper) than the K-3

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

What name does your wife intend to use once she is here in the US? If you put her maiden name on all the paperwork, her "green card" will be printed with her maiden name. If she intends to use her married name though, you should put her married name on all the docs, because once she is here in the US, it will be more difficult for her to change her name. Easier for her to change it in her passport while she's home in Mexico than after she gets here to the US!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

THanks for the replies, I was curious though, if it would be possible to file with a passport in her maiden name that we intend to change?

So we would send a copy of her passport with her maiden name, but we change it before we get to Juarez?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you can send the passport in her maiden name. If you want her visa in her married name make sure you change her passport before you go for the interview.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

i130 is cheaper and less effort.

processing times are chaotic at vsc you can't predict much

have a look at igor's new list

CSC is currently fast on i130 and k3

hope for you you are changing address to qualify for csc and that they don't change pattern

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.