darkchilde794

Security Clearance/Fingerprints Questions

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! :)

I went through several security clearance/fingerprints threads that are applicable to my case but have some questions still...

My fiance and I (actually more him) filed for my K1 visa back in February and we have received our NOA1. We've read that I have to get security clearance/fingerprints taken from all the places I've lived in since I was 16. I'm originally from the Philippines and moved for college to the US when I was 19 and now I'm living in Canada.

So I know it'll be easy to get my prints in the US and Canada, and I know that it is possible to get an NBI clearance without coming back to Manila.

My question is: should I start getting security clearance forms now, even before we've received our NOA2? I'm worried that it will take forever (well months) for my NBI clearance to get through but I don't know if that's allowed, etc.

Also, if possible, may I know (from those who have had experience with this), how long an NBI clearance from overseas takes?

Thank you!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi! :)

I went through several security clearance/fingerprints threads that are applicable to my case but have some questions still...

My fiance and I (actually more him) filed for my K1 visa back in February and we have received our NOA1. We've read that I have to get security clearance/fingerprints taken from all the places I've lived in since I was 16. I'm originally from the Philippines and moved for college to the US when I was 19 and now I'm living in Canada.

So I know it'll be easy to get my prints in the US and Canada, and I know that it is possible to get an NBI clearance without coming back to Manila.

My question is: should I start getting security clearance forms now, even before we've received our NOA2? I'm worried that it will take forever (well months) for my NBI clearance to get through but I don't know if that's allowed, etc.

Also, if possible, may I know (from those who have had experience with this), how long an NBI clearance from overseas takes?

Thank you!

You need to get police certificates from any country you lived in, after age 16, for more than 6 months. This may or may not involve fingerprints, it depends how each country does it. For Ukraine we did not have to give fingerprints. It is not a "security clearance" it is a criminal records check. Yes, start on them now. Most are valid for one year.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For Canada, you don't need to have fingerprints taken. All you need is a criminal records check that searches a national criminal records database. Most use the RCMP, but the consulate will except a check from any local police station as long as it indicates it conducted a national search. It is valid for 12 months after the date of issue, so it would definitely be smart to get it done now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.