harleydavidson

Does spouse needs to be with me at interview?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

That's hard to say. My husband wasn't allowed to accompany me into the interview room. On the other hand I've read of several cases where the IO wanted to speak to the spouse and even cases where the applicant had to come back with the spouse. I guess it depends on the IO and how "strong" your case is. Sometimes the IO wants to doublecheck the validity of your marriage by talking to your spouse. Of course it never asks for the presence of the spouse on the interview letter, so you never know beforehand. But if possible, I would try to have my spouse come with me to avoid possible delays.

Filed: Country: Austria
Timeline

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have your spouse come with you to the interview, even if he/she isnt' allowed to come into the interview room, but at least for moral support ... :star:

If your interview date coincides with the vacation, you can ask for a rescheduling of the interview or your husband/wife can do his/her trip at another time.

I wish you the best for the rest of your immigration journey! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I will be going on Tuesday with my wife and I guess I will sit and wait while they interview her. I interpret the application this way - the USC spouse is not required to attend the interview, but as others have said it, if they want to check him/her out then its worth being there. AT the very least, she will be carruying my passports with her (in case the IO wants to look at dates on passports, so at least have your wife's passport/s with you). Good Luck

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Timeline
Come on folks, its a big forum and I got just three responses. I'll appreciate more replies. Anyone with interview experience and has been ask specifically by the IO that he wanted to see the spouse. Please. I just don't want to drag my spouse with me for nothing. I dont want to ruin the vacation for her because she got just a week free and if she waits for my interview she will miss it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Come on folks, its a big forum and I got just three responses. I'll appreciate more replies. Anyone with interview experience and has been ask specifically by the IO that he wanted to see the spouse. Please. I just don't want to drag my spouse with me for nothing. I dont want to ruin the vacation for her because she got just a week free and if she waits for my interview she will miss it.

Well, if she'll be gone for only one week, the chances are pretty slim that this will be exactly the week of your interview, don't you think? Also, no matter how many replies you get, you will never know what your IO decides in your case. So, if you want to be on the safe side, your wife should cancel her vacation plans. But on the other hand she might not have to at all. I mean, the worst thing that can happen, is, that you get a delay because the IO wants you to come back another day with your wife. If you can live with that, then she should proceed with her plans to see her folks.

EDIT: Just try to take as much evidence as possible to interview. Maybe that will be enough to erase any possible doubts in your IO's mind and he won't even care at all if your wife is there or not.

Edited by Stella08

Hi:

As the legal types say, asked and answered.

Your spouse is NOT officially required to be there. Sometimes the officer may request to meet the spouse, so if the spouse can

be there, that is advisable.

However, in your situation, I would certainly not postpone the interview to allow your wife to attend. Chances are, if you

bring good evidence, the officer may not request to meet her. If the officer does request to meet her, you can explain

that she is on vacation. Likely, that will be enough. If not, she can come back to meet the officer at a later date.

Don't sweat this too much - just handle the situation as it comes. I don't see any reason why you should postpone or

be worried about this based on the facts you gave.

your spouse doesn't need to be there.. don't worry about this..

mostly people go to interview without their spouse.. i'm going to be there without my spouse as well

don't ruin her vacation

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

The interview letter doesn't indicated that your spouse should be there BUT it depends on your IO if he/she wanted to see her or not. Maybe you can ask your wife too if she wanted to be with you or not on your interview. In my case my husbnad is going with me on my interview date since he wanted to give me moral support and also he needs to babysit to our two kids.

I-130 Petition for alien relative (mom)

01/08/2010 - Mailed I-130 form via express mail

01/11/2010 - Received Application and signed by JPM

01/19/2010 - Received NOA1

03/10/2010 - Received approval notice via e-mail

03/15/2010 - Received NOA2 via mail

NVC

03/16/2010 - case no. assigned and registered both my mom and my e-mail addresses

03/18/2010 - Received DS-3032 form and AOS fee bill from NVC via e-mail

03/18/2010 - PAID AOS fee

03/20/2010 - e-mailed signed DS-3032 to NVC

03/23/2010 - Mailed I-864 packet via USPS

03/25/2010 - NVC received DS 3032 thru e-mail

03/26/2010 - NVC received I-864 packet

03/31/2010 - PAID IV Bill online

04/10/2010 - Received RFE, missing DS-230 and entire documents..... still waiting for my mom to send me her stuff. omg!

04/22/2010 - Mailed DS 230 packet via USPS Priority Mail.... huh! finally I received my mom's docs.

04/26/2010 - NVC received DS 230 packet

05/07/2010 - Sign-in FAILED....great!

05/10/2010 - Talked to the NVC operator and said "CASE COMPLETED" on 05/10/2010

05/13/2010 - Received Interview Appt. on 06/02/2010 via e-mail

05/17/2010 - Medical Exam

06/02/2010 - Interview Appointment PASSED

06/23/2010 - Returned her passport to Singapore Embassy for issuance of visa

06/30/2010 - Visa Received... Yehey!!

09/16/2010 - Arrived in Hawaii

10/02/2010 - Received Welcome Notice

10/12/2010 - Applied for SS #

10/13/2010 - Received 10 years permanent card

10/18/2010 - Received ss card

I went alone to my interview and wasn't even asked if my husband was with me.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline

I just came back from the interview - they just talked to my wife. I sat in the waiting room. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

I wanted to be with my wife at her interview, even though her IO wouldn't even acknowledge my existence. Afterwards, we went to the Mall of America to look at shoes. I like looking at shoes, LOL. Everything was on sale, could buy a 400 buck pair of shoes for only 190 bucks.

I don't have the experience yet but if you want me to chime in. I'm going with my hubby. He already agreed to. He loves me, he said he will drive me and help me carry my boxes of evidence that I'm planning to bring. I love him too, he is giving me the support although he doesn't need to. I also think that he's happy to have an excuse to ask for a day off from work, you know salary paid. To be very honest, you don't even have the interview appointment letter yet, why are you worrying so much about if the interview date would interfere your wife's vacation or not. Wait till you receive the interview appointment letter, then decide what to do, you can anticipate, but don't worry yourself sick. If she can make it, then she can go with you. If she can't make it, then you just have to bring lots of convincing evidence. Worst case scenario is the IO will schedule you for a second interview and ask your wife to attend with you after she come back from vacation. You can also print out a copy of her travel itinerary, if the IO ask why your wife is not with you, then you can show her the proof that she is on vacation and the interview appointment letter didn't officially ask for spouse present. It really is depends on the IO. You should also concentrate on studying the 100 questions test. Good Luck!

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.