linaj

DL issue!!

9 posts in this topic

Well as I mentioned in a pervious post, I'm getting ready to submitt all of my documents for my N-400. I'am a little werid thought, because my husband is in the military and we moved from FL to VA and WE never took out a VA Driver's License. We have alot of documents to show like utilities, insurance, and bills in our names with the VA address, but I'm werid about the DL. I know u have to make Front and Back copy of it and I'm debating on us getting one before i submit everything??? I just dont want any confusions or delays with my case... especially since i'am one of the ones who filled the 1-751 and it's still pending....

any advise??? also do i have to submit a copy of his DL front and back or just his birth certificate to show his a USC.

N-400:

Sent Application to Texas Lockbox- 09/10/2009

Notice of Action: 09/21/2009

Fingerprint Notice Recieved: 09/26/09

Fingerprint Appointment: 10/07/09

Interview Notice: --/--/--

Interview Date: --/--/--

Oath Ceremony: --/--/--

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yep, here. We're military also and so I'm still driving with my Texas license. I was worried, too, before I went to the interview. I printed out the regulation from DMV that active duty military and family members aren't required to have Virginia licenses:

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen...uide.asp#permit

Driver's License, Learner's Permit & ID Cards

If you are an active duty member of the Armed Forces stationed in Virginia, you, your spouse and dependent children may drive with a valid driver's license issued by your home state or country. You are not required to obtain a Virginia driver's license

Also, I brought tons of papers which had our Virginia address on them and I filed my state taxes in Virginia (even though I wasn't required to do so). And last but not least, I had updated our addresses with USCIS after each move and so they had our current Virginia address in the system for quite some while already.

When I had my interview, the officer asked for my passport, greencard and driver's license. I told him that the license was out of state since we're military and he was fine with that and didn't even look at the license too closely.

But why would you submit copies of your driver's license with your application? You don't need to do that. They just want copies of your greencard.

Good luck to you! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Only reason why I tossed in copies of my wife's and my DL was because it was another peice of evidence that showed a common address. Certainly would not have if it twisted the brain of your IO, it's not required.

Gee, from talking to our army recruiter that was trying to enlist my daughter, the act of joining would grant her USC for free and they would take care of everything. Is that more BS?

Timeline
Only reason why I tossed in copies of my wife's and my DL was because it was another peice of evidence that showed a common address. Certainly would not have if it twisted the brain of your IO, it's not required.

Gee, from talking to our army recruiter that was trying to enlist my daughter, the act of joining would grant her USC for free and they would take care of everything. Is that more BS?

I think it's a difference if you're an active duty military member or "just" a family member. Active duty military members certainly fall into a different category when filing for citizenship. But the poster here "just" seems to be a family member, just like I am, too.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The instructions for the N-400 do not require you to submit a copy of your driver's license. The only ID you have to provide is a copy of the front and back of your green card.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

I think it's a difference if you're an active duty military member or "just" a family member. Active duty military members certainly fall into a different category when filing for citizenship. But the poster here "just" seems to be a family member, just like I am, too.

Yeah thanks, for clearifing that for me! i was a little confused b/c i had read another post stating that they provided copies of their drivers license back and front! wow so thats a relief!! Yeah i was a little worried b/c not only are our driver license's from FL, but we moved aa while ago and i just updated the address on the website.

Well, i do have another question.....I know i dont qualify for an expedited N-400 b/c my husband doesn't have overseas orders.. but i was wondering if i can STILL send my N-400 to the Nebraska for REGULAR processing as a military dependent... instead of the other center?

I called the uscis to ask them that question today and nobody seem to know the answer???... they told me to tell my husband to go to his chain of commands to find the answer???... sometimes i wonder about them!!!

Also does anybody have the link to uscis the that has the list of evidence i need!

N-400:

Sent Application to Texas Lockbox- 09/10/2009

Notice of Action: 09/21/2009

Fingerprint Notice Recieved: 09/26/09

Fingerprint Appointment: 10/07/09

Interview Notice: --/--/--

Interview Date: --/--/--

Oath Ceremony: --/--/--

Timeline

Yes, as a military dependent you can file in Nebraska, just like active duty can, too. I tried to do that, but I filed before the Lockbox addresses went into effect and I mailed my application to the wrong P.O. Box in Nebraska and my file got forwarded to a Locbox Center in Arizona. Anyways, your case will not be handled expedited but right now processing times are fairly fast.

Here is the document checklist from USCIS:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

In addition to those documents I also mailed our military orders since we have been stationed overseas and I spent several years abroad on militayr orders. I wanted to add proof that I qualifiy for Section 319e. For the interview I took ANY document I could think of they might want to see (in the end I just needed to show them my passport, greencard and driver's license).

You mentioned that you updated your address online. Please be aware that your husband (sponsor) also needs to update his address, he can do that by mail only:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Timeline

Hmm... I'm not sure if they updated the website or if I just can't file the website where it stated that military spouses should send their application to Nebraska.... :unsure:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

Either way, it doesn't really matter. I know other military spouses who just sent their applications to their regular service center and everything worked out fine.

Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Applicants should continue to file Military N-400 cases at the Nebraska Service Center (NSC). In addition, in order to assist military spouses, NSC will also accept and process N-400s filed by spouses of active members of the military.

Last updated:09/15/2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.