fulamuso

uk birth certificate & name change documentation..

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi, i'm new here.. (great site, btw!!)... we're getting ready to send the I-129F packet out.. i knew it was just a matter of time until i had to post a question :unsure:

my fiance changed his name when he was a teenager. i know he needs his birth certificate and the documentation of his name change, but for some reason his solicitor (who did the name change) is telling him that he needs to take the two documents and have them specially 'notarized' to 'link' them together and make them acceptable for the US government.. and that said procedure would cost him 80 quid ! ? i told him, as far as i could find by reading this site and others for hours, is that he just needs Photocopies of the two documents and that they do not need to be notarized in any way. could anyone verify this for me?

thanks so much for any help! :thumbs:

our timeline:

6/17/09 sent I-129f

6/25/09 I-129f received

6/25/09 NOA1

6/30/09 check cashed

7/01/09 NOA1 in hand

9/18/09 NOA2

9/23/09 NVC received

9/24/09 NOA2 in hand

9/25/09 left NVC for London!

10/10/09 packet 3 in hand

11/20/09 packet 3 sent

11/25/09 packet 3 received by London

12/04/09 medical

01/13/10 interview- APPROVED! :)

01/20/10 visa in hand!

POE-- 02/8/10

wedding-- 02/12/10 <3

4/7/10 AOS & EAD filed

4/15/10 NOA

5/6/10 file transferred to cali

5/6/10 biometrics

6/15/10 AOS & EAD approved

6/26/10 green card in hand! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Copies will suffice for the I-129F filing but originals are needed for the interview. Here is a list of what documents your fiance will need to take to his interview and there is no mention of anything needing to be notarized.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/docs169.html

Welcome to VJ. :D

hi, i'm new here.. (great site, btw!!)... we're getting ready to send the I-129F packet out.. i knew it was just a matter of time until i had to post a question :unsure:

my fiance changed his name when he was a teenager. i know he needs his birth certificate and the documentation of his name change, but for some reason his solicitor (who did the name change) is telling him that he needs to take the two documents and have them specially 'notarized' to 'link' them together and make them acceptable for the US government.. and that said procedure would cost him 80 quid ! ? i told him, as far as i could find by reading this site and others for hours, is that he just needs Photocopies of the two documents and that they do not need to be notarized in any way. could anyone verify this for me?

who is the USC and who is the UKC?

The UKC doesn't need to send a birth certificate when submitting the I-129 that is needed for the interview along with the name change document, if he is the USC you may want to ask this question in the general K1 forums.

KirstenUk just had an issue with a document from a solicitor not being notarized holding up issuance of her daughter's visa so it is possible that this may be an issue. It won't hold up sending off your petition if he is the UKC though and you can then consider whether or not to get it notarized in advance or wait and see if they ask for it closer to the interview.

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

Timeline

who is the USC and who is the UKC?

The UKC doesn't need to send a birth certificate when submitting the I-129 that is needed for the interview along with the name change document, if he is the USC you may want to ask this question in the general K1 forums.

KirstenUk just had an issue with a document from a solicitor not being notarized holding up issuance of her daughter's visa so it is possible that this may be an issue. It won't hold up sending off your petition if he is the UKC though and you can then consider whether or not to get it notarized in advance or wait and see if they ask for it closer to the interview.

I'm the USC, he's the UKC, but since they ask on the G325a about 'other names used', i was just trying to be proactive... i'm paranoid :unsure:

our timeline:

6/17/09 sent I-129f

6/25/09 I-129f received

6/25/09 NOA1

6/30/09 check cashed

7/01/09 NOA1 in hand

9/18/09 NOA2

9/23/09 NVC received

9/24/09 NOA2 in hand

11/20/09 packet 3 sent

12/04/09 medical

01/20/10 visa in hand!

POE-- 02/8/10

wedding-- 02/12/10 <3

4/7/10 AOS & EAD filed

4/15/10 NOA

5/6/10 biometrics

he doesn't need these documents until the interview - its good to start preparing :) but you can send your petition off without them

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

I'd be sure to list his pre-change name under other names used. I'm sure you got that right off the bat, but I thought I would mention...just in case.

I wonder, have you looked at the total cost of this process? I think that 80 pounds will be a fairly insignificant portion of the total cost - and...why ask questions of someone who you thinks knows the answer if you are just going to ignore them (not us, the solicitor)? On the other hand, if the UKC's solicitor didn't make the change legal and watertight enough, he should complete this "linking" process for free!

Barring someone with more specific experience showing up, you'll just have to assess your own personal tolerance for risk. If the solicitor is in fact correct and more work needs to be done to "link" the original documents and the change documents, what will probably happen is at some point you'll have a request for more evidence (at petition stage or after the interview). At which time you'll go back, pay your 80 pounds and then send things back. It will probably introduce an extra week or two weeks of delay in the processing of your case. If you can handle that, then save your money, and keep your plans flexible. If you can't stand the idea of that happening, get it taken care of now, and pay for your peace of mind.

Oh, also, regardless of whether or not you get these notorizations completed now or later, I would mentally start preparing myself for being placed into additional/administrative processing. Again, I haven't heard of this specific situation, but it just SEEMS like something that would kick you into that state. Hopefully being prepared makes it not so bad if it happens...

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline
he doesn't need these documents until the interview - its good to start preparing :) but you can send your petition off without them

thank you! :)

also, to nik+heather: my fiance only went to the solicitor to Get the copies of the documents, not to ask him questions. this info was offered up unsolicited (heh) .. i had already done lots of research, so it sounded very odd and unnecessary to me, that's why i came here to ask. and yes, i am aware of the total cost of this process and that is exactly why i don't want to spend ANY fees that are not required. i will obviously do more research before the interview to make sure it's all in order.. thanks for your input.

our timeline:

6/17/09 sent I-129f

6/25/09 I-129f received

6/25/09 NOA1

6/30/09 check cashed

7/01/09 NOA1 in hand

9/18/09 NOA2

9/23/09 NVC received

9/24/09 NOA2 in hand

11/20/09 packet 3 sent

12/04/09 medical

01/20/10 visa in hand!

POE-- 02/8/10

wedding-- 02/12/10 <3

4/7/10 AOS & EAD filed

4/15/10 NOA

5/6/10 biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.