rlogan

another Filipina/Americano couple

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Folks,

I found the site last year, and came on with a question that was really worrying me - about what kind of mail service was used and what address was sufficient for the visa packet that my fiance needed to get in the Philippines. She had a Purok but not a house/street number, and I figured there had to be thousands upon thousands of people before us with the same issue, so surely someone would know.

Well, nobody answered our question here although I didn't know about the Philippine subforum. I gave up on the forum as a source of information. I came back on here in the last few days to see if I could find information about how to handle her name change after marrying her here in the states.

I have inferred that we now file for her social security number under my last name since that is what we want her name to be, and fill out a new biographic information form with her new name. We apply for the adjustment of status under her desired name, and that is the manner by which we "change" her name. There isn't any "change of name" action per se. We just start doing everything in the name we want for her.

It didn't help that the woman at the social security office told us we couldn't do what we wanted, and then after being persistent we could see she had just never done this before and eventually it took three employees total to merely apply for a social security number.

I'm amazed this isn't on the I-485 instructions since there have to be on the order of tens of millions of applicants having exactly the same issue. But then again why should I be amazed given what we have been through. Also surprised it is not on one of the frequently asked questions or hints or whatever here. Using google enough I did find a thread on the second day trying that had an answer.

At any rate - hello. We expected immigration to be expensive, time consuming, aggravating, etc. - and it certainly has. But we are together and married, and it is better than we could have hoped for .

Best of luck to everyone else.

Never say die...

welcome to vj! I too had problems at the social security office. I wanted ssn in my married name straight off. The lady looked at my k-1 visa and was about to refuse me flat out with getting a ssn. I persisted and showed her the POMS information i had downloaded from the site. she informed me that she was looking at the relevant information on her computer. She then called her supervisor over. He still refused to give it to me in my married name. No matter what i said, they wouldnt listen. So i ended up getting ssn in my old name. The ssn arrived in the mail yesterday and i will go back to a different SSA office this week and try once again to get it in my married name. It would be good if the left hand knew what the right one was doing at SSA. :wacko:

All the best! :star:

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
welcome to vj! I too had problems at the social security office. I wanted ssn in my married name straight off. The lady looked at my k-1 visa and was about to refuse me flat out with getting a ssn. I persisted and showed her the POMS information i had downloaded from the site. she informed me that she was looking at the relevant information on her computer. She then called her supervisor over. He still refused to give it to me in my married name. No matter what i said, they wouldnt listen. So i ended up getting ssn in my old name. The ssn arrived in the mail yesterday and i will go back to a different SSA office this week and try once again to get it in my married name. It would be good if the left hand knew what the right one was doing at SSA. :wacko:

All the best! :star:

Hi kiwiana.

That't what ours said too. But we did finally manage to get them to agree. Then they did it wrong. They did it a second time, and although the application she printed off looked OK, the letter domonstrating she had applied for one still had her maiden name. But they had closed the office in the meantime and sent us away. We'll see what comes in the mail three weeks from now.

One thing this ordeal has taught us is that the whole "illegal immigration" thing is a huge hoax. The reason we have illegal immigration is because "legal" immigration has been made so ridiculously difficult.

But she's here. We're married. In about a month we'll apply for the Change of Status.

We met 15 months ago, when I was over there on a trip. I went a second time and built a house for her family & stayed three months on that trip.

We talked on the phone/internet daily while apart. No surprises for either one of us. Homelife is just great.

I wish everyone success and happiness...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Welcome to VJ and Good Luck on your journey

K-1 Journey*

Nov 2004 Met in Recife

02-01-06 I-129F Sent to VSC

04-26-06 Interview APPROVED!!!!!!!

05-18-06 Eliana arrived in New York

07-22-06 Married in Las Vegas!!!!!

AOS/AP Journey*

07-25-06 I-485 and I-131 Sent to Chicago

08-18-06 Biometrics Appointment (Completed)

10-06-06 AP Approved

10-11-06 AOS Approved (without interview)

10-20-06 Green Card Received!! Done until July 2008

01-27-07 Second Wedding (in Brazil)

I-751 Journey*

07-09-08 I-751 Sent to VSC

09-16-08 Biometrics Appointment (Completed)

02-25-09 Transferred to CSC

03-20-09 Approved (without interview)

03-27-09 Emily is born!!!

04-07-09 Green Card Received!!

11-18-11 Lucas is born!!!

N-400 Journey*

12-15-11 N-400 Sent to Texas

02-09-12 Biometrics Appointmnet (Completed)

03-21-12 Interview (Approved)

03-21-12 Oath Ceremony

PROCESS IS DONE!!!!!!

*See Profile for detailed list of all dates

Filed: Timeline

Welcome to Visa Journey and good luck with the res of the process. We had to wait for the wife's EAD to arrive before we could change her name on her SSN card. I called the USCIS help line to ask the same question you had about the I-765. It made sense when I filled out the I-485. During the AOS interview, the AO looked to make sure that the name was okay as far as the DHS was concerned, and changed it. (I put the wrong middle name). Luckily, after the change, the name was the same as I put on the I-765 and so we did not have to change her name on any other documents.

Hello and welcome to Vj :thumbs:

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

Welcome to VJ and good luck on your journey! :thumbs::thumbs:

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

Timeline

You know, it strikes me that my wife is very sick at the moment - she has a chronic health problem and it is a pretty savage thing. A lot of suffering.

But gosh - we're together. It is such an over-riding thing for us to just be together that even with this ghastly illness the important thing is that we are side by side and I can take care of her.

This is a group that I think understands what it means.

Thanks for the well-wishes.

Welcome

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Welcome to VJ!

2008 K1Timeline:

I-129F Application

10/25 Received letter from USEM

11/21-11/22 Med Exam

12/02 Interview date, 7AM (Approved)

12/10 Visa on Hand

Date & Place of POE: 12/17 Detroit

03/10/09 Wedding

2009 AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

4/07 Mailed AOS Package

4/08 Package received

4/14 Cashed Check/

4/18 Biometrics I-485

4/29 Biometrics done

5/02 CSC Transferred

5/05 I-485 Touched (This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)(30 days)

5/12 I-485 Touched

5/15 EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approval notice sent

5/18 EAD/AP Touched

5/20 Touched

5/21 AP Received by Mail (44days)

5/22 EAD Received by Mail (45days)

6/25 GC card production ordered!

6/30 Welcome Letter notice received dated 6/26

7/07 Approval notice sent

7/08 GC received by mail

2012 N-400 Timeline:

5/22 Sent

5/30 Cashed Check

Timeline

Welcome to VJ! :thumbs: Mmmm thanks for the heads up with the ssn thing ^^;;

"One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life."

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F NOA1 : Oct 3, 2008

Interview for AOS: approved on Dec 16, 2009

Greencard received: January 4, 2010