buzz17

Wierd question: 1-864 and 2005 tax vs filling status

31 posts in this topic

I got married to my sweetheart last year and filled for the 1-130, and papers for K-3,which were all approved and my wife is jetting in on K-3 next sunday for the first time since our marriage. I am planning to file for the 2005 tax return next week. My question is whats my filling status,married filling separately or single? The tax helper i talked to, said for tax purposes only that my filling status is single since my spouse wasnt in the USA. Talking to one paralegal,she told me that for immigration purposes I am legally married, so i have to mention that on my 2005 tax filling in order to file the AOS form #1-864. We have opted to go ahead with the 1-130 consular process instead. So I am in dilemma which path should I take? File as single or married but spouse hasn't even got any SSN # in the USA. So what do I do? Has any one had similar situation? Any experiences?

Thanks

R

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to apply to the IRS for an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

I got married in 2003 and my wife's IR-1 interview is next month. I have filed "Married - Filing Jointly" since 2003 and my wife has never been to the USA.

You will need to make a copy of her passport bio page and then take the passport and the copy to a notary public. Notarization of the copy as "... a true and correct copy" will permit you to apply for the ITIN.

The IRS form you need is a W-7.

Other forms of ID are acceptable, but I used the copy of the passport.

If you wife has income, however, you will have to declare it and pay tax on it.

If you think you waited a long time for the immigration process, how about one YEAR to get I-130 approval (and then just add another year for the interview)!

IR-1/IR-2 approval on 9 March 2006 / Visas delivered 21 March 2006

Thanks so much ALCURIN for your help on this issue. This is very helpful. I am looking at the IRS Pub 519 to familiarizes myself with all options. I have w-7 form ready to go. I have all the documentations needed.

Thanks so much again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

This makes me wounder about my taxes and if they were done right. I went to H & R Block and I honestly couldnt believe how know one knew anything at all in there. I know I filed something as married and they couldnt get it to work so they made up a SS# and whited it out and told me I have to mail it in I have no other choice.

As far as what I have heard from another tax person in order to file taxes with her as a dependent, she will have to have a SSN or ITIN in order for you to do so.

PROBLEMS:

-In order to get a SSN your spouse has to be in the USA legally and not as a tourist.

-In order to get a ITIN you must prove that you and your spouse have lived together for at least six months. (Even outside of the USA)

In another words a wierd form of catch 22.

This makes me wounder about my taxes and if they were done right. I went to H & R Block and I honestly couldnt believe how know one knew anything at all in there. I know I filed something as married and they couldnt get it to work so they made up a SS# and whited it out and told me I have to mail it in I have no other choice.

I can't believe they used white out!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It is not as easy as just applying for an ITIN (IRS form W-7)...

They don't send you the ITIN and then you complete your taxes using that number. Instead you have a copy of her passport notarized with supporting documentation of your marriage. Then you send your actual tax return to a special office of the IRS for review.

I considered this... but then changed my mind. I don't want the IRS scrutinizing my taxes and then potentially dealing with an audit. My wife will be here probably in May or June. So, I am waiting for her arrival and then immediately filing for her a Social Security number. Then I can e-file (using her SS#) like I do every year. In the meantime I am going to request an extension to file. As long as you don't owe the IRS any money this will not cause any problems.

My situation is slightly different than yours in that we went the CR-1 route and when she arrives she will be a permanent resident and immediately eligible for a Social Security number. I believe you will have to file for a change in status since she came in on a K-3 Visa... and I'm not sure how long that will take?

I-130 (CR-1)

06-20-05 I-130 sent USPS Express to VT SC

06-24-05 CSC rec'd.

06-28-05 NOA1 Notice date(I-797C)

07-05-05 Rec'd notice

07-20-05 I-130 appr'd (never got e-mail notif.?)

08-15-05 Sent pre-signed DS-3032 (w/handwritten case number instead of barcode) USPS Express

08-15-05 I-864 bill and $65 sent Snail Mail

08-22-05 DS-3032 accepted.

09-03-05 I-864 received in mail (Saturday of Labor day Holiday Weekend!!!) (postmarked 08-31)

09-06-05 Sent I-864 USPS Next Day Air

09-07-05 I-864 delivered to NVC NH 10:55 am (S MERIFIELD)

09-14-05 IV fee of $380 sent USPS Express

09-15-05 IV fee bill delivered to NVC MO 11:36 am (H HORN)

09-19-05 IV fee entered in NVC system

09-26-05 DS-230 generated

09-26-05 DS-230 sent Next Day Air

09-27-05 DS-230 NVC at 3:24 pm (S MERIFIELD)

09-27-05 I-864 entered in NVC system

10-05-05 DS-230 entered in NVC system

10-21-05 CASE COMPLETED!!!(115 days from NOA1)

10-30-05 Case forwarded to embassy in GUZ

01-09-06 Case entered into GUZ system.

01-10-06 Second name check completed and embassy informed me that we are now eligable for an interview.

Going to visit my beloved Lao Po for a month - from December 15th, 2005 to January 14th, 2006.

XX-XX-0X P4

XX-XX-0X Interview date

XX-XX-0X Expected arrival date

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A great site for those with loved ones in China...

http://candleforlove.com/

I appreciate all responses.

I now have an idea about the complexity of applying for the ITIN and SSN #s. My wife is coming on k-3 and wait for the NVC process of the recently approved 1-130,afterwhich she will fly back for the consular interview. I am now wondering whether she will get the SSN# on time for me to file the 2005 tax and avoid the ITIN. I wouldn't really like to give IRS a blanket go ahead to strictly scrutinize my return. I would rather wait,if need be see how I can handle the issue,not ruling out an extension to file option. Good enough I still have about 50days to April 15th deadline.

I am learning new things which the tax guy didn't alert me of.

Filed: Timeline
This makes me wounder about my taxes and if they were done right. I went to H & R Block and I honestly couldnt believe how no one knew anything at all in there.

They are tax experts, not immigration experts.

Talk to an Immigration atty., he will tell you what and how to file under.

Then go back to H & R Block.

Edited by dmartmar

This comes directly from the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch01.html#d0e1644

"Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other spouse is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident. This includes situations in which one spouse is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the tax year, but a resident alien at the end of the year, and the other spouse is a nonresident alien at the end of the year.

If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated for income tax purposes as residents for your entire tax year. Generally, neither you nor your spouse can claim tax treaty benefits as a resident of a foreign country for a tax year for which the choice is in effect and you are both taxed on worldwide income. You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, but you and your spouse can file joint or separate returns in later years."

The W-7 is also clear about how to obtain the ITIN for a foreign spouse and/or dependent. You cannot file an income tax return without the SSAN or ITIN information.

I provide all the support for my wife (academic scholarship student) and stepson and I am entitled to claim them as dependents under U.S. tax laws. I have done so since 2003 and I do not worry at all about an audit.

If you think you waited a long time for the immigration process, how about one YEAR to get I-130 approval (and then just add another year for the interview)!

IR-1/IR-2 approval on 9 March 2006 / Visas delivered 21 March 2006

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
This makes me wounder about my taxes and if they were done right. I went to H & R Block and I honestly couldnt believe how no one knew anything at all in there.

They might not be immigration experts but still they should know about how to file and what you need. Its their job to help you and others probably have came in and did this type before.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Any chance she is entering through jfk? if she can get employment authorization on the way in, she can go apply for her ssn before you file, and on the tax forms write in "ssn applied for" on her ssn line and not bother with the w-7 for a itin.

Theres nothing stopping you from filing jointly either way though. You will need the copy of her passport for the w-7 and you would need a short written statment indicating your decision to consider her a resident alien for tax-filing purposes. Somewhere here its posted that you need 6 months together or something...never saw any requirement like that and I had no troubles at all getting my husbands itin and filing jointly last year. dont forget to send it to the philadelphia irs location, no matter what state you live in if you do include a w-7.

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Thanks alot. Shes coming through LAX,I donot know whether they give Employment authorization like at JFK. We learned of that prospect at JFK later after we had already booked the non-refundable ticket. Once she arrives,i will straight away begin the process of filling for the 2005 tax. I checked with the NVC automated,to find out if my case has been asigned a number,but nothing yet. It seems,CSC delays to forward approved cases to the NVC. I will use that wait time to file the tax and use it for the Affidavit of support.The tax guy had no idea about filling a joint return for a spouse who wasn't in the US the entire tax year. He only knew about those Aliens (spouses) already in the US. But thanks for coming up with vivid examples,I just feel am off the hook,because i would have messed up everything if it wasn't you fellows.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

K-3s do not get automagic Employment Authorization (at JFK or anywhere); they must apply for an EAD to be entitled to a Social Security number.

Keep your topic up top; more people will reply when the workweek starts :lol:

Also, gimygirl had a great tax thread on the old forum, if you feel up to looking for her pinned thread on the topic.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

dmartmar,

And this is a tax issue - not an immigration issue.

Agreed, however, that H & R Block may not be the best place to get advice with regard to non-resident aliens treated as resident aliens and foreigne-earned income. But neither is an immigration attorney.

Yodrak

As far as what I have heard from another tax person in order to file taxes with her as a dependent, she will have to have a SSN or ITIN in order for you to do so.

PROBLEMS:

-In order to get a SSN your spouse has to be in the USA legally and not as a tourist.

-In order to get a ITIN you must prove that you and your spouse have lived together for at least six months. (Even outside of the USA)

In another words a wierd form of catch 22.

This concerns me as my husband and I were only together for about 5 weeks b4 he had to return to the UK. If this is true then how do I file taxes? Help!!! I thot I had to have the ITIN.. so so confused here.

Gotz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.