suzukiwookie

My Florida DL experience

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Any particular reason you chose the Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas - forum ?

Well I figured it could help everyone - not just Canadians.. And getting a driver's license could be considered part of Adjusting your status to live in the US. But the moderator moved it to 'Moving here and your new life in America'

Edited by suzukiwookie

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to write a little note here saying I called the Florida DMV and they told me that all I had to do to get a license there was to bring my passport, utility bills with my florida address and my name on them, my ssn number and my quebec license.

The lady also said to bring my marriage certifcate and my K-1 papers (Just in Case) but that the other things should be sufficient and I would get my 8 year Florida license. She did say that I would have to give up my Quebec license though

which is fine by me. I would not have to take a road or written test.

Timeline

Oh, good times. Glad you got went home with your Florida DL!!!

I was in Florida back in 04-05 for a cultural program. Not only did I get my FL DL in less than 30 mins back then, but they let me keep my Ontario DL too... I have a feeling that particular DMV in Kissimmee was used to a lot of internationals so they knew what they were doing... well, sort of...

Let's hope they still know what they're doing when I move back next year!!!

Edited by cdn_gewels

Our Timeline

March 21, 2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 6, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!

February 15, 2010 - POE Thousand Islands

March 27, 2010 - Wedding!

AOS

April 17, 2010 - I-485, I-765, I-131 sent to Chicago Lockbox

April 26, 2010 - Received NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

May 13, 2010 - Transferred to the CSC

May 19, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

June 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd & 30th - touches on I-485

June 25th, 2010 - E-mail: EAD approved

June 30th, 2010 - 2nd E-mail for EAD

July 1st, 2010 - Email: RFE being sent for AOS

July 2nd, 2010 - AP received in the mail

July 6th, 2010 - EAD received in the mail

July 8th, 2010 - Received RFE in the mail. They have no record of my medical!

July 12th, 2010 - RFE (new medical) sent back via Express mail

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

July 23rd, 2010 - GC received in the mail

And here I thought it would be easy to get my FL license once I had my SSN in hand... :blink: Seems like I have to hope to be one of the lucky ones!

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: Timeline
Just wanted to write a little note here saying I called the Florida DMV and they told me that all I had to do to get a license there was to bring my passport, utility bills with my florida address and my name on them, my ssn number and my quebec license.

The lady also said to bring my marriage certifcate and my K-1 papers (Just in Case) but that the other things should be sufficient and I would get my 8 year Florida license. She did say that I would have to give up my Quebec license though

which is fine by me. I would not have to take a road or written test.

:blink:

You will need your AOS NOA before they will issue a license. My temporary license (based on my pending adjustment of status) was issued for one year. Once you receive your GC and your license comes up for renewal they will issue you a new license. In my case it was for 6 years, but I see the law has changed that to 8. However, I do know some people whose licenses were issued for 10 or 12 years. :blink: I also know of at least one person who was issued a multi-year license when they didn't even have a GC. They also let me keep my Canadian license. They really don't have a right to confiscate government-issued licenses from other countries, so try and hang onto it if you can.

iagree.gif

Timeline

The lady said I did not need any AOS papers at all when i asked her about that.

Now that I think about it, maybe its because I used to live there and they still have my license on file and will just be issuing me a new one for the state of Florida. She checked and I am still on file from 2001 when I left the last time.

The lady said I did not need any AOS papers at all when i asked her about that.

Now that I think about it, maybe its because I used to live there and they still have my license on file and will just be issuing me a new one for the state of Florida. She checked and I am still on file from 2001 when I left the last time.

Ahhh. That could be it. Might be a different story, though, when they see an I-94 with an expiry date. That's what made the clerks looking after me come to a screaming halt. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I figure I won't show them anything more than they ask for.

And technically, I guess I can always tell them if they start busting my chops to call the Florida DMV customer service line and speak to the agent who told me what I needed :whistle:

I figure I won't show them anything more than they ask for.

Well, it'll be in your passport so it'll be hard to miss. :lol:

And technically, I guess I can always tell them if they start busting my chops to call the Florida DMV customer service line and speak to the agent who told me what I needed :whistle:

:lol:

Let us know how it works out for you. I'm always interested to hear the different experiences.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.