10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi, I'm from Belgium and I've been here since July, got married in September, filed for AOS and EAD in November, my EAD just now got approved but still waiting on my AOS appointment and stuff.

But anyways, I was wondering if I was able to drive here in the US with my European (Belgian) Drivers License? I'm in Ohio.

Also, my other question was... I called in to see what was going on with my workpermit because it had been way past 90 days (they received my case on December 9th 2008) and we still hadn't heard anything about it getting approved or anything and the guy that we talked to sent in a request to expedite my case because it was over 90 days and 3 days later I got a letter in the mail saying that my work permit was indeed approved.

" On 04/02/2009 you contacted us about your case. .... The status of this service request is: We have approved you case and an approval notice was sent on March 27, 2009 to the address we have on file."

It does say if I do not receive the notice within 30 days that I can send in an other form to receive a duplicate..

But I was wondering if it's normal that its taking so long for my EAD approval notice to get here? Normally I get my paperwork pretty quickly (even this last letter they sent me I got 3 days after we called in about this)

Thanks a lot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi, I'm from Belgium and I've been here since July, got married in September, filed for AOS and EAD in November, my EAD just now got approved but still waiting on my AOS appointment and stuff.

But anyways, I was wondering if I was able to drive here in the US with my European (Belgian) Drivers License? I'm in Ohio.

Also, my other question was... I called in to see what was going on with my workpermit because it had been way past 90 days (they received my case on December 9th 2008) and we still hadn't heard anything about it getting approved or anything and the guy that we talked to sent in a request to expedite my case because it was over 90 days and 3 days later I got a letter in the mail saying that my work permit was indeed approved.

" On 04/02/2009 you contacted us about your case. .... The status of this service request is: We have approved you case and an approval notice was sent on March 27, 2009 to the address we have on file."

It does say if I do not receive the notice within 30 days that I can send in an other form to receive a duplicate..

But I was wondering if it's normal that its taking so long for my EAD approval notice to get here? Normally I get my paperwork pretty quickly (even this last letter they sent me I got 3 days after we called in about this)

Thanks a lot.

All of this depends on state. In Vermont they accept foreign drivers license for 60 days. All things related to drivers licenses are specific to each state.

Take it with a grain of salt when they say something was mailed "march 27" it means it was put into the system to be mailed, it could actually get in the mail "post marked" so to speak, quite a bit later. I think you will find there is quite a fee associated with that "form to get a duplicate"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Most states (of course there's always a few holdouts) allow driving on your EU driver's license (usually up to 1 year) before requiring you to obtain a state-issued one. I'd be willing to bet Oh. allows it (but check your state's requirements).

EAD - I'd be willing to bet you'll get the EAD in the mail soon. (Make sure your name is inside the mailbox.) :thumbs:

Timeline

I did read that they allow you to drive up to 1 year but that said with a tourist visa but that doesnt make sense cause a tourist visa is just 90 days... /confused

but I actually went to the DMV after making this post and I'm going to do the written part tomorrow and just get an Ohio DL just to make sure I'm not in trouble if a cop does pull me over. I was under the impression that I needed my SSN to get it (cause thats what they told me both times when I called in asked about it) but apparently not when I walked in today so thats good news :D

And I do realize that it wont get here as soon as they sent it but its almost been a month is why I was wondering.

Karin: I do not have my name on the mailbox (none of us living here at the residence do though) I hope that wont be a problem, I got the other paperwork they sent us (NOAs and RFE). Now you're making me worry! haha :D

Thanks for the quick responds tho =)

Edited by spicer650

I did read that they allow you to drive up to 1 year but that said with a tourist visa but that doesnt make sense cause a tourist visa is just 90 days... /confused

Actually, visa waiver is just 90 days but a tourist visa can actually be up to a year, depending what visa and with what purpose you asked for it.

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

but I actually went to the DMV after making this post and I'm going to do the written part tomorrow and just get an Ohio DL just to make sure I'm not in trouble if a cop does pull me over. I was under the impression that I needed my SSN to get it (cause thats what they told me both times when I called in asked about it) but apparently not when I walked in today so thats good news :D

And I do realize that it wont get here as soon as they sent it but its almost been a month is why I was wondering.

Karin: I do not have my name on the mailbox (none of us living here at the residence do though) I hope that wont be a problem, I got the other paperwork they sent us (NOAs and RFE). Now you're making me worry! haha :D

Thanks for the quick responds tho =)

Hi, I have a Belgian drivers license too. Before I left Belgium, I also got an international license at City Hall. From what I hear, we are indeed allowed to drive with it for up to one year after US entry. However, our car insurance is demanding that I try and get my GA license asap or they will not cover me anymore.

Good to know you can get your local license without the SSN!

Groetjes

Cat

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Timeline

Yeah, I didnt even think to go to my city hall to get my DL adjusted because I really thought I was allowed to drive here with my EU license but I was wondering about the fact that it is in Dutch and if a cop would of pulled me over, I doubt he would of taken my word for it that it was a real license hehe so I started looking into it more and found out I wasnt allowed to drive :-| but it'll be fixed here soon I hope (hopefully they dont make me drive for 6 months on my drivers permit like they do 16 year olds lol because we're taking a driving trip from Ohio to Vegas for my 21st Bday and it would suck if I wasnt able to drive.

Groetjes terug :) Leuk om hier nog belgen tegen te komen :D Van waar ben jij? Ik ben van Gent.

Timeline

Actually, visa waiver is just 90 days but a tourist visa can actually be up to a year, depending what visa and with what purpose you asked for it.

Oh, I didn't even think of that.

I'm here on a K-1 Visa so that doesn't fall under the tourist visas anymore, does it?

Yeah, I didnt even think to go to my city hall to get my DL adjusted because I really thought I was allowed to drive here with my EU license but I was wondering about the fact that it is in Dutch and if a cop would of pulled me over, I doubt he would of taken my word for it that it was a real license hehe so I started looking into it more and found out I wasnt allowed to drive :-| but it'll be fixed here soon I hope (hopefully they dont make me drive for 6 months on my drivers permit like they do 16 year olds lol because we're taking a driving trip from Ohio to Vegas for my 21st Bday and it would suck if I wasnt able to drive.

Groetjes terug :) Leuk om hier nog belgen tegen te komen :D Van waar ben jij? Ik ben van Gent.

I do not think the international license is even necessary, really. When I was at City Hall, the official told me (after he had handed it to me) that I could drive around in the States with me national license. If you want to be certain, check with the Belgian Embassy/Consulate here. It might even be on their website.

Or better yet, check out the website of the Department of Driver Services of the State where you live, or call a local office. On the website of the DDS here in GA, it says that foreign nationals can drive for up to one year with a valid foreign or international license. I do not know if this is the case throughout the US.

Your license is in Dutch, but it is in conformity with the European model, actually. And it does mention license in English at the front.

Edited by Catt

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

My husbnad has an international DL. I didn't think he'd ever need it - but hey! we got married last minute and its a good thing he did, cause I can add him to my car insurance as a driver. Should he have his German lic only, that would have not been possible as they told me...

Maybe Amica is wrong, but I am glad he has his International DL!

Timeline: I am the USC - my husband is the beneficiary

11-02-05:..........Met online - We are both musicians: him music composer and me vocalist ( visit me at: www.myspace.com/etherealsopranoamethyste )

11-26-08:..........My love comes to see me for a holiday visit.

01-24-09:..........Impromptu Wedding in our little apartment!!! I LOVE you!!!

02-03-09:..........Went to the Civil Surgeon - Enveloppe in hand! Life is good!

02-09-09:..........Mailed ( certified ) the AOS package ( I-485, I-130, I-864, I-765, I-131, G-325A + all supporting evidence and more! )

02-11-09:..........Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox

02-20-09:..........Money Orders Cashed!

02-23-09:..........We received today our 4 NOAs ( I-485, I-130, I-765 and I-131 ) - NOAs dated 2-18-09

02-24-09:..........Biometrics apt. Letter: 03-08-09 8AM.

03-09-09:..........Biometrics done - in and out in 10 mins.

03-20-09:..........Received today INTERVIEW LETTER FOR: 04-21-09!!!! ( TOTAL DAYS FROM FILING TO INTERVIEW: 68 DAYS!!! )

04-10-09:..........Received AP in mail!

04-13-09:..........Received EAD in mail! ~~~ WE ARE SO GRATEFUL AND HAPPY!!! ~~~

04-21-09:..........AOS interview in Manchester NH - I-130 approved - I-485 No decision made - Were told to wait for decision letter

04-27-09:.......... ******* WELCOME TO AMERICA LETTER RCD! ******* ~~ adjustment from VWP without a problem! ~~

05-01-09:..........GREENCARD IN HAND!!! WOOO!!!

TOTAL TIME FROM AOS REACHING LOCKBOX TO GREENCARD IN HAND: 79 DAYS!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.