CaptainRubyHeart

Little Differences Between Canada and the U.S. (Easter Time)

99 posts in this topic

The baker at the grocery store makes his own Hot Cross Buns for easter.

I have yet to try them though.

Dunno why.

Otherwise, we have them all year round.

Our store caters to the elderly group, and damn do they love those things.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
SO yesterday I went to buy hubby a chocolate bunny for Easter, and I went to Target to get something yummy to put out for him from the Easter Bunny (who we all know is REAL)..

Anyway, I'm down in the Easter aisle, and all I can find is baskets & toys, no candy or chocolate at all.. and I panic, and have one of those "holy cow I'm not in Canada anymore" moments, and I'm all discombobulated..

Do Americans not eat chocolate at Easter? Should I have had a bunny sent from Canada.. I left the store totally befuddled, and then went to the hair salon where the girls gently reassured me that Americans DO in fact eat chocolate bunnies but that Target was simply sold out! :lol: Ahh

There's your problem right there. You simply don't go to Target for food. At best, Target might be decent for toiletries and a few electronics items. The clothing, food and most other products are simply subpar. It's a lot like going down the chocolate aisle in Wal-Mart and wondering "where the good chocolate is." You're in freaking Wal-Mart! There is NO good chocolate!

If you want good chocolate (or any other item), go to a decent grocery store. Whole Foods, for instance, is a great example. If you're in Texas, Central Market is another fantastic choice.

Bottom line: if you shop at ####### stores, expect to find ####### products.

Filed: Timeline
Mmmmmmmm fish cakes. :luv: I love that he loved them. lol

I made hot cross buns last night! I started out with your recipe, BermyCat, and spent a ton of time reducing the amounts and making conversions. When I was finally done I read down to the bottom of the recipe so I could read about the cross...... and there was nothing mentioned!!!!! :o So I ended up finding another recipe online. I haven't actually baked them, yet, because the dough had to sit overnight in the refrigerator, so I can't tell you how they turned out. I'm going to bake them in a little bit. So excited! lol

So how were they krikit??

Well, the first batch were quasi-edible. I need to modify the rising and baking instructions, though, because the end product was more like something you'd shellac and put on permanent display. :lol: Flavourwise they were tasty. I divided the dough in half so I have another batch ready to go whenever I get the urge to make them.

There's your problem right there. You simply don't go to Target for food. At best, Target might be decent for toiletries and a few electronics items. The clothing, food and most other products are simply subpar. It's a lot like going down the chocolate aisle in Wal-Mart and wondering "where the good chocolate is." You're in freaking Wal-Mart! There is NO good chocolate!

If you want good chocolate (or any other item), go to a decent grocery store. Whole Foods, for instance, is a great example. If you're in Texas, Central Market is another fantastic choice.

Our Targets are really lovely down here, though I have been in some in upstate NY that were pretty grungy. Ours are Super Targets with fabulous food and deli areas. They also have really fab home decor areas.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, the first batch were quasi-edible. I need to modify the rising and baking instructions, though, because the end product was more like something you'd shellac and put on permanent display. :lol: Flavourwise they were tasty. I divided the dough in half so I have another batch ready to go whenever I get the urge to make them.

Quasi-edible - yet camera ready! Nice balance!

You should have taken pics :hehe:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah.. ummmm whole foods.. none here in my part of CT.. the nearest one is close to NYC, and there's NO way I'm driving down 95 on a holiday weekend for chocolate.. :lol:

Actually our Target does sell a tone of non-American chocolate, and it's the one place I WOULD shop around here.. our grocery stores around here are ####### in general.. ESPECIALLY Shaws.. Oh save me from going to Shaws.. :help:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
SO yesterday I went to buy hubby a chocolate bunny for Easter, and I went to Target to get something yummy to put out for him from the Easter Bunny (who we all know is REAL)..

Anyway, I'm down in the Easter aisle, and all I can find is baskets & toys, no candy or chocolate at all.. and I panic, and have one of those "holy cow I'm not in Canada anymore" moments, and I'm all discombobulated..

Do Americans not eat chocolate at Easter? Should I have had a bunny sent from Canada.. I left the store totally befuddled, and then went to the hair salon where the girls gently reassured me that Americans DO in fact eat chocolate bunnies but that Target was simply sold out! :lol: Ahh

Taget is not #######! I get alot of good things at Target, it's a great discount store. Yes you're not going to find gourmet food products at Target, but I can get cereal/canned beans etc. there that are cheaper than a grocery store.

I (L) TARGET!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.