acrow

child following within a year

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My husband is here since November on K1 visa. He has filed for AOS and received advance parole. We were told his son could follow within a year, and we are going back down to Jamaica to get him...

What do I do? Where does his son get his own visa...I am getting conflicting info all over the place. The embassy made it sound like he could just come join no problem, but now I am hearing we need to file all these forms.

Has anyone here done this? What was the procedure?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My husband is here since November on K1 visa. He has filed for AOS and received advance parole. We were told his son could follow within a year, and we are going back down to Jamaica to get him...

What do I do? Where does his son get his own visa...I am getting conflicting info all over the place. The embassy made it sound like he could just come join no problem, but now I am hearing we need to file all these forms.

You need to speak with the consulate... you will start with the forms similar to what provided your hubby from the consulate (DS-156 et al...)...

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are doing the same with our older son. First, it is a separate visa and you will have to do all the same things you did for his visa. Call the call center and make an appointment for your son using the same NVC case number. Your son will need a medical exam, you can make an appoitnent for that at any time using the NVC case number. If he is over 16 he will need a police certificate. He will need the DS-156, or any other forms the consulate uses, passport photos and birth certificate. All translated if needed. You will pay the $131 visa fee. Your husband must attend the interview and show that he has complied with the terms of his visa. That means marriage certificate and, minimum, copy of NOA1 for filing the AOS, or his AOS acceptance letter and green card.

The interview should be relatively easy. When his son arrvies you will have to file for AOS just like for him. Another $1010 fee. You will have 90 days to file the AOS. Just consider it K-1 part duex.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You need to speak with the consulate... you will start with the forms similar to what provided your hubby from the consulate (DS-156 et al...)...

Sorry, forgot to add...email the consulate and announce your intention. I did this and Kiev replied quickly with an answer, basically "Packet 3" instructions for a K-2 visa. The majority of the forms are familiar to you, but they wil give you the checklist.

And NO, you cannot just go "pick him up" but the process is not so difficult.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your husband must attend the interview and show that he has complied with the terms of his visa.

Does the husband have to go back for the childs k2 interview or can a grandparent or other guardian take the child? We want to do the same thing but we want him to already have his k2 visa by the time he get there.

Timeline

Our letter from Kiev embassy states the "beneficairy" of the K-1 visa must attend the interview, must bring a copy of the marriage certificate and the I-797C showing that AOS has been filed, the approval letter for AOS OR Conditional Green Card. The beneficiary, on which the K-2 is based, must appear and show they have complied with the visa. My presence, the petitioner, is optional. You should check with the consulate. Kiev is known as being family friendly and if they require it I would presume they all do, but you should find out directly.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We are doing the same with our older son. First, it is a separate visa and you will have to do all the same things you did for his visa. Call the call center and make an appointment for your son using the same NVC case number. Your son will need a medical exam, you can make an appoitnent for that at any time using the NVC case number. If he is over 16 he will need a police certificate. He will need the DS-156, or any other forms the consulate uses, passport photos and birth certificate. All translated if needed. You will pay the $131 visa fee. Your husband must attend the interview and show that he has complied with the terms of his visa. That means marriage certificate and, minimum, copy of NOA1 for filing the AOS, or his AOS acceptance letter and green card.

The interview should be relatively easy. When his son arrvies you will have to file for AOS just like for him. Another $1010 fee. You will have 90 days to file the AOS. Just consider it K-1 part duex.

Wow, thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for! I emailed the embassy now and hopefully all of our ducks will be in a row for when we go down there!

Timeline

Wow, thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for! I emailed the embassy now and hopefully all of our ducks will be in a row for when we go down there!

Kiev was easy to deal with, they responded to my letter within a couple of days with the complete list of items, documents, instructions, see below:

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for your inquiry of December 12, 2008. Please be informed that K-2 visa can be issued to the child within 12 months since K-1 visa was issued to the mother. K-2 visa interview should be scheduled through the Call Center (044-207-7071 or 1-888-889-3780). At the time of K-2 visa interview the guardian of the child (if the child is under 14, his/her presence at the interview is optional) should present:

1. Original of the child's birth certificate along with its photocopy and certified translation.

2. Valid travel document (more than 6 months validity at the time of K-2 visa issuance) or international passport if the child is 18 or over;

3. Valid medical exam;

4. 2 copies of completed forms DS-156;

5. Notarized permission from the child's father allowing the child to travel to the U.S. for permanent residency if the child is less than 16 years old;

6. A letter from the petitioner stating the petitioner is willing to accept the child in the U.S.

7. Financial support documentation from the petitioner.

8. The original of the petitioner’s marriage certificate.

9. Copy of I-797C notice of action, Adjustment of Status approval letter, or Conditional Permanent Residency card of the beneficiary.

We hope this information will help you. Should you have any questions, please contact us via email.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy,

Kyiv, Ukraine

Tel.: +38/044/490-44-22

Fax: +38/044/484-45-70

Please visit our website at http://kyiv.usembassy.gov for more information about consular services

This e-mail is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions provided in E.O. 12958

I am presuming the "guardian" means the mother (beneficiary). If you have some legal documents providing someone else as the guardian, there may be an exception, but I would check with the consulate to be sure. In our case our son is more than 16 and so we do not need the letter from the father.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.