2,067 posts in this topic

Sorry to go off topic here. I know this thread is about AOS, BUT in response to Gemmie...

I've been using Indeed.com, online newspaper job searches & I was using Craiglist but not anymore as there are too many scams. I applied to be a Census taker too! No interviews yet though. I'm in the mindset now that anything will do not only to give me something to do but I think it's probably easier to obtain another, better job, when you're already employed.

Doesn't help either that my hubby has had to take a job in Dubai (because of the crappy economy here) which means he'll be out of the country 2 out of 3 months :-(

I could go with him a month here & there but that means I won't be able to take a job. Urgh..I'm not stressing about it. Best to just take each day at a time.

I think you probably feel more pressure because you are living with the inlaws. Try not to be too disheartened..opportunities always come up whe n you least expect them :)

K1

5/16/08:Received NA01

2/24/09: NA02 APPROVAL... finally, after 9 MONTHS & 8 DAYS!!

5/5/09 : Interview Date APPROVED!!!!

5/8/09: visa received

From NA01 to interview: 12 LONG MONTHS!!

07/23/09: received SSN

08/17/09: Passed Driving test

08/22/09: Married on beautiful Mackinac Island, MI

AOS

08/31/09: Mailed AOS Package

10/20/09: Received AP

10/21/09 Received EAD card

12/7/09 AOS APPROVED!

12/14/09: Green Card arrived in mail. Happy Days!

It's taken 18 months from applying for K1 to receipt of Green Card! Thank God it's over until 12/7/11

Here we go again...

ROC

09/14/11: Mailed I-751 to Vermont

09/19/11: NA01

10/14/11: Biometrics

7/2/12: Approved. New Card Ordered

7/7/12: Green Card received

MJ: yes, you are definitely right :yes: At least we are together, I don't know if I could survive another immigration glitch alone.

Gemmie: I do have an MA actually, but I have little experience. About 1 year total of high school counselor experience. And the scary thing is that all of a sudden I had a reality check and I do not want to practice clinically (not to mention that I would need a PhD for that as well). I am going back to school for an MPH, the good thing is that a lot of my MA credits transferred into my MPH program, and it is at the same place where I completed my BA and MA so I am looking at a year of school at the most...and I am out to get some experience right now, which is why when I appy for MPH related jobs such as hospital non-clinical administrative positions, they throw out my resume when they see I have many degrees but no experience. I have applied to two great hospitals here for a possible human resources position that I may have a good chance at securing...

About either getting a job you love or one that you need, my mind has weighed both options. I actually did work as a receptionist for $10/hour when I needed the money, but I quit after 2 months. If you aren't built for the job, it is hard to work at it 40 hours a week...I got tired of it pretty fast. And my mind kept taunting me...what did I go to get a masters for if I was sitting here answering calls all day long? So I am trying to get something in the middle at least, my field but not necessarily the position I dream of would work just fine. Let's see

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

About either getting a job you love or one that you need, my mind has weighed both options. I actually did work as a receptionist for $10/hour when I needed the money, but I quit after 2 months. If you aren't built for the job, it is hard to work at it 40 hours a week...I got tired of it pretty fast. And my mind kept taunting me...what did I go to get a masters for if I was sitting here answering calls all day long? So I am trying to get something in the middle at least, my field but not necessarily the position I dream of would work just fine. Let's see

Ugh, I did temp work to fill a month or two between graduation and getting my current job. I felt a bit awkward whenever they asked about life in general - Yep, you've got a degree-d engineer answering your phone for you...CONGRATS!!!

I did sort of like working for the interior design lady. She had this really pretty office with all these samples and gorgeous pictures (she does the like $10million homes). I rewired their telephone system in my spare time. :D I wish I had been better at drafting, she was looking for someone to do hand drawings for her concept pitches.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

MJ, that sounds really difficult knowing that your hubby will be away a lot. I remember you asking if you could go with him for a month or so each time, and you're right, it would make having a job yourself that much harder.

Marm, sounds similar to what I'm going through. I have a BSc and also some other qualifications in social sciences but hardly any experience, which is what is holding me back. I completely applaud you though for deciding that you weren't cut out for the full-time office job, I'm trying to explain to people here that I don't want to be in that position, of taking a job that I feel is a waste of my time and tuition. I'm happy with the same as you, a job in the field will do, even if it's not my dream job.

I have my fingers crossed for us all. :)

Oh boo, Gemmie...what a rubbish day you had to deal with :( I know what you mean by waiting for what seems like forever, and when they eventually get back to you, it turns out they'd rather miss out on the opportunity of having you. Knight also applied to a job out here in the valley because he's not earning nearly as much for the drive into Anchorage to be worth it, and it took them weeks to tell him, "Thanks, it looks good, but we're not actually hiring" instead of telling him from the beginning.

MJ, you'll be able to manage it :: hugs :: with your hubby being in Dubai. At least you'll have an idea of when he'll be back and that kinda thing...it's not the best scenario, but take it a day at a time, like you said.

MARM, I was in the same boat as you -- I had a very shiny degree and no real experience. My boss is awesome in that even if someone doesn't have experience, he'll take them on if he feels he can train them quickly. I think that's the biggest thing, them not wanting to have to train someone. Just keep hard at it, you'll get there :star:.

And now, I'm going to wave my RFE wand so that everyone waiting to deal with those won't have to ever again! Poof!

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

Just checking in to wish continued Good Luck to all!

It's been a while since I've been on here and I'm glad to see things moving along nicely for most of you guys! :thumbs:

I'm at school now and between my own assignments and the kids homework I just don't have enough time in the day.

Just completed my GED as it seems you can't do cr*p without some kind of high school records and it was a 'must have' thing for my Nursing course. :wacko:

My hubby is fantastic and supports and helps me as much as he can.

Wishing all the best and future happiness to all of you. I was tempted to put 'Y'all' as that's all I hear.....grrr! And they say I talk funny!? :whistle:

Just completed my GED as it seems you can't do cr*p without some kind of high school records and it was a 'must have' thing for my Nursing course. :wacko:

Wow - what level of English qualifications did you have, if I may ask?

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline
Wow - what level of English qualifications did you have, if I may ask?

Hey!

Do you mean what qualification did I bring with me from England or my GED English level?

To answer both anyway, I had a CSE level 2 in English and a O'Level Grade 1 in English.

The problem was that my High School and a majority of High Schools in England do not keep records. Plus the fact that I went to school many moons ago and so nothing I gained over there mattered here. :unsure:

I have also completed the Compass Test at my college which placed me in College level English and Algebra, but that only counted towards that particular school and the program I was doing.

High school transcripts is not something that us English folk can easily get hold of unfortunately.

Hope that helps!

Well done on getting your GED, Roselinda. I didn't think it would be such a big deal that you didn't have your high school transcripts with you as it was probably ages ago and they are so hard to get.

I got a response to a job today - the first since my rejection - to tell me that I had put the wrong company name in my resume 'objective' bar and the recruiter abruptly told me that the email was "perhaps meant for someone else". DOH! :bonk:

Funny when you think about it, what a silly mistake! I replied to tell her that I accidentally mixed the resumes up, but I think I've dropped the ball on that prospect. :lol:

Hope everyone is pushing on!

Edited by Gemmie

Well done on getting your GED, Roselinda. I didn't think it would be such a big deal that you didn't have your high school transcripts with you as it was probably ages ago and they are so hard to get.

I got a response to a job today - the first since my rejection - to tell me that I had put the wrong company name in my resume 'objective' bar and the recruiter abruptly told me that the email was "perhaps meant for someone else". DOH! :bonk:

Funny when you think about it, what a silly mistake! I replied to tell her that I accidentally mixed the resumes up, but I think I've dropped the ball on that prospect. :lol:

Hope everyone is pushing on!

Hang in there Gemmie. I'm feeling awful now just empathizing with how you must have felt when you were talking with that recruiter. Nik is still pressing on with the job search. He got a call from a recruiter last week. Hope that pans out, it sounds like a job he'd like to do, too!

We've finished up a big volunteer thing I do every Jan/Feb, and now it is full court press on getting the interview materials ready. The new checks with our address and both our names on them have arrived in the mail today, and soon (cross fingers!) we'll get the wedding album to the printers...I'm a bit grumpy at myself for not getting some of this done earlier. Once Nik had access to money (credit card) I wasn't thinking about proving the relationship again...I sort of thought we'd get transferred to CSC, nothing to worry about! Oh well, I think we'll do alright with what we have unless the guy is having a bad day!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Howdy folks! I'm so sorry for the super bad day Gemmie had. Two disappointments....driving and job...are just too much for one day. What a trooper you are. You've managed to keep such a forward looking attitude for a long time. I hope you find that great job soon and not working at the coffee shop. I know you want to use a little more brain power. I wonder if Boston area is harder hit with the economy? I used to read articles about that kind of stuff...how some cities are worse and some will recover first. I don't remember much other than Houston was supposed to recover early because it went into the slump later. Since that's our closest major city that's all that stuck with me.

Heather, I'm surprised that you have to interview. Maybe your local office isn't very backed up is the reason. I don't think it will be any big deal. I kinda think they get a sense of your relationship just by talking to you despite what proofs you bring, don't ya think? I realize they have to have rules, but I bet they can spot a real couple pretty quick.

I was just thinking about removing conditions today and that I should make a folder to stash things in so I don't have to gather right before next Christmas. I should print a group picture from Christmas and toss in our photo Christmas card. And we just got a new bank, so before I lose all the sign-up papers, I could put something away. We don't have that much in both names. I bought the new house because it was easy to get a mortage by myself without worrrying about a non-citizen who was unemployed with no credit record. We really need to take a trip so we can have some vacation pictures. LOL. We haven't been back to England since we came together with his K1 visa around Oct 1, 2008. And we'd also like to go to Alaska in July. ( :luv: Magpie) I think we haven't made any definite plans because I've got to go back in the hospital next week for surgery and so we'll see how that goes.

Where's MARM and what's the latest on resuming your case?

Edit: Forgot to say we are having a tea crisis. We are out of Sainsbury's tea bags. :(

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Nich, so sorry that you have to go back in the hospital next week for surgery :( But I am sure you will bounce right back with that strong spirit of yours :yes:

About my case, unfortunately the RFE still as not been acknowledged by USCIS, no touches, no email/text updates, no change of status online. So I have gotten the congressman and both senators involved again. This process is depressing and completely maddening. But at least we are together, and it makes it so much more bearable.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Timeline

I am in the exact same space as MARM, no touches since the 17th. And the Military helpline know nothing of my Medical... Yep they pretty much LOST it we figured.

All I want is to get off my butt and work right now :(, its been so long...

12/31/2009 - Married

01/08/2010- Mailed in AOS

01/13/2010- AOS received and sent back due to missing signature

01/22/2010- AOS arrives back at my house, signed, sent off again

01/27/2010- Receipt number given, huzzahhh! NOA1

01/29/2010- Money taken out :'(

02/02/2010- Touch

02/06/2010- Biometrics Appointment, 16th Feb at 2:00pm .... Also happens to be my 21st Birthday!!

02/07/2010- Sent in Medical to Chicago office

02/09/2010- Got a RFE for medical.....Sent reply letter 2 days earlier due to forgetting to include vaccination data.

02/10/2010- Sent a 2nd copy of medical to MO office.

02/16/2010- 21st birthday, Biometrics done, and a letter saying my case is on "hold" from the 7th of Feb, in a email...

02/17/2010- Touch

02/23/2010- Letter to congressman

02/24/2010- RFE Received and processing resumed.

02/25/2010- Case transferred to CSC

03/24/2010- Work permit printed

03/28/2010- Work permit received (After writing to the congressman...Again...)

07/01/2010- Call to Senator about Green card, Call to USCIS, Nothing... Told to wait another 2 months and then possibly another 4 months.

07/01/2010- Touch on I-485/Green card...

07/02/2010- Second touch on I-485/Green card, No notifications....

07/07/2010- Told at info pass that my application is being sent to west palm from CSC

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

07/14/2010- Touch on I-485

Hey All!

So sorry to hear about all of these danged RFE's. Seems that USCIS is really dropping the ball of late and it is causing so many headaches! Like it isn't frustrating enough!

Gemmie - sorry the job didn't work out. I bet there is something around the corner that is going to be PERFECT for you. Dont lose hope, it'll get better and with your attitude and perseverance.....I know you'll find something soon.

Marm - ARRRGGGGGHHHH! That is all. You have been through enough, but like you said....at least you are together.

Nic - Hoping the surgery goes well, and that this will mean an end to all of your health issues.

Heather - Good luck with the interview! :)

I passed my learners permit exam, was issued a temporary one until my card came through which expired. Card never arrived. I contact the DMV.....denied: due to inability to confirm applicants residency status. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I went to the DMV armed with a boat load of documentation to prove my residency status, and somewhere along the line....it got lost. GRRRR. So I am going to the DMV early on Friday to sort this little mess out, and then I have my driving test at 3pm....provided they let me take it! Apparently the test is taken in it's entirety in the parking lot of the DMV.

No wonder there are so many bad drivers in Florida.

Good luck to everyone on the job finding, AOS completion missions. I am on my 10th day straight working. If one of my colleagues phones out sick again, there is NO WAY I am going in on Friday.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

I am expecting my EAD any day now. I am gagging at the bit to get back to work. The dilemma I have is trying to find a decent enough job that would atleast cover the cost of childcare and doesn't require me going into Boston just yet, which is unlikely as I'm looking for a finance job!

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.