Pete

FilipinaHeart.com Responds to my IMBRA Question

49 posts in this topic

However they charge the USC but the site is free for the foreign ladies (few could afford the fees and pay for internet access, at least I know my finacee couldn't).

part of the laws refers to entities that "facilitate", it does not just have to be actually selling you the address. As they charge the men, and do not charge the women (one of the criteria stated in the act), seems pretty clear to me they are not exempt from the act. My favorite site (the one I found my wife on) pretends it is a non issue to them also, it is a non issue to them, because they are not in the U.S. so our laws mean nothing to them. But if an American uses them, he is not in compliance, the way I read this thing. Worst thing will be if the guy does not know about all this, how does he undo the fact that he did not follow the rules, those being, the so called broker was supposed to put the info in front of the girl before he got her address? What a mess this all is.

Yeah, I'm thinking answering yes will be the way to go. Definately some gray areas there though. Now if I would just get the damn RFE!

Edited by Dean iWait

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if you say 'yes' to be safe and the answer really should have been 'no'? Will it just be ignored and/or ammended on USCIS end?

OR ... what if you say 'yes' and it really is 'yes'.. could this be cause for denial?

I met my own love on match.com, btw.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

What happens if you say 'yes' to be safe and the answer really should have been 'no'? Will it just be ignored and/or ammended on USCIS end?

OR ... what if you say 'yes' and it really is 'yes'.. could this be cause for denial?

I met my own love on match.com, btw.

Mo

Good question. I'm really hoping they will use common sense with this. Maybe that's hoping for to much when you are dealing with the federal gov. LOL. If you can document that you met before 3/6/06 I would have to beleive that even though they will ask the IMB question, they would not deny a visa no matter what your answer. I believe they want to monitor and possibly prosecute IMB's that are not in compliance. For couples that meet after 3/6/06 who knows? I'm going to spend a little money for a phone consultation with an immigration attorney. I'll post after I get some answers from him on this.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

we met on match.com too :blush:

Robert (U.S.A.)------^--^------Waenphetch (Thailand)

September 27' 2005 -------------------------(Met online)

May 16' 2006---------- (Mailed application from Chiangmai, Thailand) to NSC

June 9' 2006--------- (NOA 1 Receipt date) ---CSC----

September 7' 2006------------(NOA 2 Receipt date)

December 20' 2006 (7 a.m.) -----------INTERVIEW Approved IMBRA discussed[/color]

December 24' 2006 ---------- POE - LA

December 26' 2006 ------------ Civil Marriage

December 28' 2006 ------------ Applied for SSN

January' 19' 2007 ------------- SSN Received

AOS Chicago

December 29' 2006 ----------- Mailed I-485

January' 5' 2007 -------------- NOA Receipt date (MSC)

January' 23' 2007 ------------ I-485 Transferred to CSC

January 26' 2007 ------------ Biometric done

February 7' 2007 ------------ Case pending at CSC

October 19, 2007 ------------ Approved email from CRIS (welcome notice sent on Oct 18)

March 14, 2007 ------------ Mailed I - 765

May 4, 2007 ----------- I-765 approved

May 30, 2007 ----------- got a great job at www.swipeclock.com as an Accountant

I have been told that sites like Match.com and Yahoo Personals don't count as a IMB. If in doubt call the USCIS and ask but I am pretty sure that is the case.

I am going to call the USCIS - just hoping that after making five phone calls I don't get five different answers! lol :blink:

we met on match.com too :blush:

perhaps we should get a match.com thread going --- keep tabs on who's getting by with what?

Mo

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have been told that sites like Match.com and Yahoo Personals don't count as a IMB. If in doubt call the USCIS and ask but I am pretty sure that is the case.

I asked a USCIS Officer and he said he cannot tell me if my dating website (mate1.com) is considered an IMB. He said all he can do by law is to read the Law to me over the phone. Cause the truth he implied... is he does not know and nobody know right now. I emailed Mate1.com they told me they don't know either!!!!

I am thoroughly Digusted with Politicians :angry:

Timeline

I asked a USCIS Officer and he said he cannot tell me if my dating website (mate1.com) is considered an IMB. He said all he can do by law is to read the Law to me over the phone. Cause the truth he implied... is he does not know and nobody know right now. I emailed Mate1.com they told me they don't know either!!!!

I am thoroughly Digusted with Politicians :angry:

:thumbs:

December 20' 2006 (7 a.m.) -----------INTERVIEW Approved IMBRA discussed[/color]

AOS Chicago

October 19, 2007 ------------ Approved email from CRIS (welcome notice sent on Oct 18)

I am married to a vn lady and done, personally. I do advise folks on the process a bit, and having studied this for about 20 years, (the process, not our laws), I continue to watch what is happening. I am in contact with various so called IMB's just to see their reactions. I can tell you that some of them pretend it does not relate to them, well, that is true, to an extent. As they are not U.S. corporations, they have the right to ignore our laws. Problem is, if a USC USES THEM. The USC has then played outside the rules, OUR rules. So he is the one in trouble on this, not the IMB. These smaller outfits basically have given up on the deal, they will sell contact info to the USC and pretend that they are legal (which they are, in the country they work out of). I think this info might belong somewhere else on VJ, this may not be the right forum for it. Anyone who is more involved in VJ than I am, feel free to post this where it may be more relevant.

I talked to an immigration attorney today. Unfortunately I was told (was pretty sure already though) that the site my fiancee Sheryl and I met through is condsidered an IMB under IMBRA. But he said since we met last year prior to the law going into affect that this would not negatively affect her visa process.

So if you met on a site that charges fees for matchmaking, online dating, social referrals etc. between a USC and foreign national clients by providing personal contact information or otherwise facilitating communication between individuals. Then you met through an IMB....

One huge exception to the law is if this type of business is NOT the principal business of the company you met through. For instance Match.com is not considered an IMB because matchmaking and online dating etc. is not it's main source of income. Here are a few of the companies the parent company of Match.com owns.

The parent is: IAC/InterActiveCorp

They also own:

ask.com

Home Shopping Network

ServiceMagic

Ticketmaster

to name a few.

Yahoo for pretty obvious reasons also meets this exemption to the law. So do a little research on the ownership of your site and see what you can come up with. Unless it was a totally free service.

DEAN AND SHERYL

I talked to an immigration attorney today. Unfortunately I was told (was pretty sure already though) that the site my fiancee Sheryl and I met through is condsidered an IMB under IMBRA. But he said since we met last year prior to the law going into affect that this would not negatively affect her visa process.

So if you met on a site that charges fees for matchmaking, online dating, social referrals etc. between a USC and foreign national clients by providing personal contact information or otherwise facilitating communication between individuals. Then you met through an IMB....

One huge exception to the law is if this type of business is NOT the principal business of the company you met through. For instance Match.com is not considered an IMB because matchmaking and online dating etc. is not it's main source of income. Here are a few of the companies the parent company of Match.com owns.

They also own:

ask.com

Home Shopping Network

ServiceMagic

Ticketmaster

to name a few.

Yahoo for pretty obvious reasons also meets this exemption to the law. So do a little research on the ownership of your site and see what you can come up with. Unless it was a totally free service.

Thank you very much for this information, Dean. It was and is invaluable to me.

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Timeline

They also own:

ask.com

Home Shopping Network

ServiceMagic

Ticketmaster

to name a few.

Thank you very much for this information, Dean. It was and is invaluable to me.

Thanks so much too, Dean :thumbs:

AOS Chicago

The statute says that in order to be exempt it has to BOTH not have international dating as its principal business but and ALSO charge men and women the same. If it doesn't do both of these things, it is not exempt.

to the best of my recollection, match.com did charge both the same. now, actually buying in was an option, but in order to do anything other than 'wink' (show interest) then you had to pay a fee. correct me if i'm wrong, Littleone.

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.