MapleLeafBaby

RECENT CREDIT APPLICATION AT TARGET A BUST!!!!

51 posts in this topic

So, CALL THEM! Don't let them bully you

I don't think Target is bullying poprocks because they were unsure of the process. I didn't even know it was possible to get a US credit card without being a resident, so I'm not surprised they might not.

Just give them the info they are requesting. If you are denied, you're denied. There is nothing you can do about it.

And yes, applying for too many credit cards at once can lower your credit score and make you look suspicious, so just be careful.

I wasn't implying that Target was bulling poprocks. I was just saying Don't let them bully you. When I had to call the person I was talking to didn't seem to know what she was talking about or how to deal with my situation. She basically wanted to get me off the phone. I refused to give in and asked for a supervisor, who was able to tell me information that the initial customer service rep couldn't.

Don't give in just because they don't know how to help you. Do what you need to do to get the information you need, and if it means you find out you were denied, then so be it.

If you apply for 2-3 cards, they aren't going to think anything of it. I've seen and heard of people going on credit app sprees where they apply for 5 - 10 cards in a day! Sure it hurt them, but eventually scores will go back up. And plus, the three you are looking at are going to be looking at your Canadian credit report...just don't apply for anything new up in Canada. And when you move down here, get your SSN and transfer the accounts to your US credit reports, you'll have no US Inquiries and 3 good Tradelines to start you on your credit building :)

Ok, called Target.... the DIMWIT who set up my app didn't know what she was doing! She messed it up... it flagged my Canadian SIN with an American address and never even made it to processing! The good thing is, that it doesn't affect me, and I just have to go back in and do it again! They said to ask for a manager and they also have a technical call line that the store can call for help.... soooo back to square one! When I go down next month, i'll try again for Target and Macy's...

:star:

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So, CALL THEM! Don't let them bully you

I don't think Target is bullying poprocks because they were unsure of the process. I didn't even know it was possible to get a US credit card without being a resident, so I'm not surprised they might not.

Just give them the info they are requesting. If you are denied, you're denied. There is nothing you can do about it.

And yes, applying for too many credit cards at once can lower your credit score and make you look suspicious, so just be careful.

I wasn't implying that Target was bulling poprocks. I was just saying Don't let them bully you. When I had to call the person I was talking to didn't seem to know what she was talking about or how to deal with my situation. She basically wanted to get me off the phone. I refused to give in and asked for a supervisor, who was able to tell me information that the initial customer service rep couldn't.

Don't give in just because they don't know how to help you. Do what you need to do to get the information you need, and if it means you find out you were denied, then so be it.

If you apply for 2-3 cards, they aren't going to think anything of it. I've seen and heard of people going on credit app sprees where they apply for 5 - 10 cards in a day! Sure it hurt them, but eventually scores will go back up. And plus, the three you are looking at are going to be looking at your Canadian credit report...just don't apply for anything new up in Canada. And when you move down here, get your SSN and transfer the accounts to your US credit reports, you'll have no US Inquiries and 3 good Tradelines to start you on your credit building :)

Ok, called Target.... the DIMWIT who set up my app didn't know what she was doing! She messed it up... it flagged my Canadian SIN with an American address and never even made it to processing! The good thing is, that it doesn't affect me, and I just have to go back in and do it again! They said to ask for a manager and they also have a technical call line that the store can call for help.... soooo back to square one! When I go down next month, i'll try again for Target and Macy's...

Sorry you're having trouble. I agree with your conclusion. Try it again. I was in NJ and had no problems applying in-store when I was living in Canada. They could input my SIN and everything right there. Also, at Macy's it was the sales rep that suggested I apply. I was checking out and she suggested I get a Macy's card and I said, "Nah, I'm Canadian so it probably wouldn't work" and she said it was no problem as long as I had my passport and SIN with me. Same thing at Victoria's Secret. They all gave me temporary credit cards to use while I waited for my cc to arrive in the mail.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

There ya go! No harm no foul. Just a bit of more waiting on your part.

All you definitely need for Target is your DL.

Macy's your passport, and for JCP I think I just needed my DL.

JCP even has on their application, SSN/SIN :)

Good luck when you try again!

Edited by J&K

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline
If you apply for 2-3 cards, they aren't going to think anything of it. I've seen and heard of people going on credit app sprees where they apply for 5 - 10 cards in a day! Sure it hurt them, but eventually scores will go back up.

I'm not trying to be contrary here, but we are in the biggest recession in many years and credit card companies are actually cutting people's credit (who are in good standing and have had credit for years) without even telling them. I've had a friend who never made a late payment whose credit card stopped working and when he called the bank, t hey told him they had to cut out his credit completely.

They might not have thought anything about anything 5 years back, but it's a whole different ball game now. I've had a credit card here in the US for almost two years now and they still won't raise my credit limit due to the crisis.

Just be careful of what you do right now in regards to credit and realize that banks/ CC companies are not lending anything close to what they were.

ps- Just as an example of applying for too many loans or cards which can hurt you, when we applied for a mortgage one of the things noted on our credit report was "too many inquiries within the last 6 months" which included credit cards and mortgage applications. So it does affect your credit score for awhile.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I'm not trying to be contrary here, but we are in the biggest recession in many years and credit card companies are actually cutting people's credit (who are in good standing and have had credit for years) without even telling them. I've had a friend who never made a late payment whose credit card stopped working and when he called the bank, t hey told him they had to cut out his credit completely.

They might not have thought anything about anything 5 years back, but it's a whole different ball game now. I've had a credit card here in the US for almost two years now and they still won't raise my credit limit due to the crisis.

Just be careful of what you do right now in regards to credit and realize that banks/ CC companies are not lending anything close to what they were.

ps- Just as an example of applying for too many loans or cards which can hurt you, when we applied for a mortgage one of the things noted on our credit report was "too many inquiries within the last 6 months" which included credit cards and mortgage applications. So it does affect your credit score for awhile.

Again, what I am posting is just information. If you were going for a mortgage, then yes, I would not advise people to be looking for other types of credit. But if you're trying to Build your credit, then no, going for 2-3 cards at one time isn't going to necessarily hurt you. After a year, the inquiries have hardly any significance on your credit report. We're talking about 15 points per inquiry, and by having a card and keeping the utilization down on it, you'll be overriding the affect of the inquiry in the first place in the long run.

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any credit limits decreased, or cut. In fact, I've had Credit Limit Increases.

Is it going to be the same for all? No. My advise for people...if you don't need credit now, don't apply for it.

And remember, if you ask for a CLI, make sure it's a soft pull. Soft Pulls DO NOT affect your credit. HARD pulls do.

A lot of companies only do Softs when requesting a CLI, like Macy's (who will grant you a Guideline Increase EVERY 90 days if you ask.) GE Money Bank and Capitol One are just a few.

But anyway...I'm not advocating that people run out and apply like mad. I just KNOW of people who have.

I really don't know what I've done to you thetreble, but it seems that every time I post something, you come back with a comment to a direct quote from me. :unsure:

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline
I really don't know what I've done to you thetreble, but it seems that every time I post something, you come back with a comment to a direct quote from me. :unsure:

In one thread? Honestly, I'm just trying to share my opinion which is different from yours and was using what you have said in this thread to say what I don't agree with or what I would be careful about.

You haven't done anything to me, J&K. Please don't take it personally. It's one thread and I don't think I've done this to you regularly or before. I did note in my last post that I wasn't trying to be contrary.

It's a message board and I'm pretty sure I can quote any one as much as I like ;) It's not an attack. I haven't personally attacked you at all, have I?

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Again, what I am posting is just information. If you were going for a mortgage, then yes, I would not advise people to be looking for other types of credit. But if you're trying to Build your credit, then no, going for 2-3 cards at one time isn't going to necessarily hurt you. After a year, the inquiries have hardly any significance on your credit report. We're talking about 15 points per inquiry, and by having a card and keeping the utilization down on it, you'll be overriding the affect of the inquiry in the first place in the long run.

15 points per inquiry?? Are you sure? That's horrible if true. I also have that noted on my credit report now - too many inquiries - which is completely stupid of course - inquiries should have absolutely no bearing on your credit - just another system that is totally illogical.

I don't think it can be 15 points though because I have had a lot of hits on my credit report and I noted on the last thing a bank sent me (they have to report your credit info to you if they do an inquiry) - that my credit score is actually higher than the last report I got? I'm just thinking if it was 15 pts per inquiry that my score would be pretty bad right now and it's not?

Edited by trailmix

15 points per inquiry?? Are you sure? That's horrible if true. I also have that noted on my credit report now - too many inquiries - which is completely stupid of course - inquiries should have absolutely no bearing on your credit - just another system that is totally illogical.

I don't think it can be 15 points though because I have had a lot of hits on my credit report and I noted on the last thing a bank sent me (they have to report your credit info to you if they do an inquiry) - that my credit score is actually higher than the last report I got? I'm just thinking if it was 15 pts per inquiry that my score would be pretty bad right now and it's not?

I haven't got a credit report since I've been here. Should I be? How do I go about it?

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Do you think I can apply for a Target card when I go visit him during my next visit, even though I havent even applied for my visa yet? Would I have to put my address (canadian) or his?

I wont even be applying for the visa for another 10 months (once we get married), but Id love to have established US credit by the time I get down.

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Timeline

Just a random comment - we were told there are SOFT and HARD inquiries.

SOFT = you getting a credit report, that kind of thing

HARD = a creditor or future creditor (ie an application for credit or car etc...).

SOFT inquiries don't any impact on future credit possibilities, but folks do look at how many times you've applied for loans or CC.

Make sense?

Do you think I can apply for a Target card when I go visit him during my next visit, even though I havent even applied for my visa yet? Would I have to put my address (canadian) or his?

I wont even be applying for the visa for another 10 months (once we get married), but Id love to have established US credit by the time I get down.

Go for it

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I used to work for a collection agency and we had a 3 day seminar at equifax in Toronto.

A soft enquiry does not hurt your credit. These are often done by companies who you already have accounts with who want to see if you qualify for a credit limit increase without your consent and just offer it to you. Just to see if you are OK with your other bills. If you ask for the increase, sometimes they will do a soft enquiry or a hard enquiry. Try to ask for a soft one to be done.

Hard enquires are when you apply for a loan, credit card, etc.

When I worked for CitiBank, my job was to actually perform soft pull enquiries to check to find ways to lower peoples credit limits that were at risk. And when we did that it never affected their credit ratings.

Oh just wanted to add... andyeah, it is true that multipe enquires do lower your score (at least in Canada, it lowers your FICO score). However, if you do it all within a short period of time (within a day) it just shows you as 'credit shopping' and for some reason it doesnt affect your score. At least thats what we were taught 7 years ago

Sarinha

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This has definitely been a good learning thread.

I personally have no desire to get a credit card when I move. I'll probably just get one with my fiance for credit's sake so we can eventually get a mortgage or whatever... but I have no reason to get one otherwise when I get there since the debit card has a visa symbol on it and I can use that as a credit card online if I want to.

I've FINALLY almost paid off my Canadian card so I'm debt free when I move and refuse to ever owe credti card companies money ever again.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I personally have no desire to get a credit card when I move. I'll probably just get one with my fiance for credit's sake so we can eventually get a mortgage or whatever... but I have no reason to get one otherwise when I get there since the debit card has a visa symbol on it and I can use that as a credit card online if I want to.

I've FINALLY almost paid off my Canadian card so I'm debt free when I move and refuse to ever owe credti card companies money ever again.

Great plan :thumbs: Im not going to use my american one at all if I get approved. I just want it to establish a credit rating so when we apply for a mortgage, I dont have to worry as much.

I'll just use the card once a month to buy a pack of gum or whatever, and pay it off right afterwards.

Sarinha

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

Timeline
Just a random comment - we were told there are SOFT and HARD inquiries.

SOFT = you getting a credit report, that kind of thing

HARD = a creditor or future creditor (ie an application for credit or car etc...).

SOFT inquiries don't any impact on future credit possibilities, but folks do look at how many times you've applied for loans or CC.

Make sense?

Cheers me dears :)

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Just want to mention - you might want to get 2 credit cards - this has just been my experience - but - I was told by ING (mortgage) a couple of weeks ago that what they are looking for is '2 credit streams' - so if you think you will be shopping for a mortgage in the next few years it's probably a good idea :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.