mstangie

Marriage in Canada

18 posts in this topic

Why when you marry in Canada you dont take the last name of your spouse?

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in your hearts you can overcome anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sure you do, my relatives who live in Canada live.

Note some cultures like Chinese and other Asian cultures do not take spouse's family name.

Moving this to regional forum.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Well I was married in Canada in Dec and was told I would not take the last name of my husband.

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in your hearts you can overcome anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well I was married in Canada in Dec and was told I would not take the last name of my husband.

Was it Quebec? Quebec does not allow it.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

YES IT WAS

ARE YOU FROM QUEBEC?

Timeline

ARE YOU FROM QUEBEC?

I am from Quebec. Quebec has a law that you cannot take your husband's last name, don't ask me why. Quebec does alot of questionable things :lol: but I love it anyway. You can do a google search and find out more, it's on wikepedia too. My father was married in Quebec 10 years ago and his wife had to keep her maiden name. My sister was married there last year and she too cannot change her name.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Can't you just go through the same process you would go through to change your name to an arbitrary one? Or do they not allow any sort of name changing at all?

~ Catherine

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

#######! Quebec doesnt allow it?

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Timeline

It does not unfortunately, I believe it's the only provice that doesn't.

WIKEPEDIA:

Quebec

Although as in other jurisdictions a citizen of Quebec may informally use whatever name he or she wants, procedures for formal name change are very strict as Quebec (unlike the rest of Canada) operates under a civil law system. The decision must be authorized by the Director of Civil Status, and requires a valid reason for changing the name, including long-term use of the new name (in the Montreuil case cited below, the Quebec appeals court has considered five years' use to be a sufficient reason), difficulty of use due to spelling or pronunciation, or bearing a name that another person has made infamous.

Only a judge may authorize a name change for a child for reasons of abandonment, deprivation of parental authority, or change in filiation such as adoption.

This has occasionally led to controversy. A lawyer named Micheline Montreuil, a non-operative male-to-female transgendered woman, had to undergo a lengthy process to have her name legally changed. Initially, the director of civil status refused to permit the change on the grounds that a male could not bear a female name. According to Quebec law, Montreuil could not change her record of sex because this requires proof of a completed sex reassignment surgery, which she has not had. On November 1, 1999, the provincial court of appeal ruled that nothing in the law prevented a person who was legally male from legally adopting a woman's name. (Montreuil was initially prevented from changing her name despite this ruling on the grounds that she had not established general use, as normally required for a name change; the Quebec appeals court finally authorized the change on November 7, 2002.)[19]

The Director of Civil Status will amend a Quebec birth certificate if a name change certificate is issued by another province. Some people have used that loophole by moving to another province temporarily in order to get the legal documents.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Did not know that. Weird frenchies!

Yeah it's wierd. My sister really wanted to take her husband's last name. She still calls herself his last name in general, but legally cannot get any documents changed.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

It does not unfortunately, I believe it's the only provice that doesn't.

WIKEPEDIA:

Quebec

Although as in other jurisdictions a citizen of Quebec may informally use whatever name he or she wants, procedures for formal name change are very strict as Quebec (unlike the rest of Canada) operates under a civil law system. The decision must be authorized by the Director of Civil Status, and requires a valid reason for changing the name, including long-term use of the new name (in the Montreuil case cited below, the Quebec appeals court has considered five years' use to be a sufficient reason), difficulty of use due to spelling or pronunciation, or bearing a name that another person has made infamous.

Only a judge may authorize a name change for a child for reasons of abandonment, deprivation of parental authority, or change in filiation such as adoption.

This has occasionally led to controversy. A lawyer named Micheline Montreuil, a non-operative male-to-female transgendered woman, had to undergo a lengthy process to have her name legally changed. Initially, the director of civil status refused to permit the change on the grounds that a male could not bear a female name. According to Quebec law, Montreuil could not change her record of sex because this requires proof of a completed sex reassignment surgery, which she has not had. On November 1, 1999, the provincial court of appeal ruled that nothing in the law prevented a person who was legally male from legally adopting a woman's name. (Montreuil was initially prevented from changing her name despite this ruling on the grounds that she had not established general use, as normally required for a name change; the Quebec appeals court finally authorized the change on November 7, 2002.)[19]

The Director of Civil Status will amend a Quebec birth certificate if a name change certificate is issued by another province. Some people have used that loophole by moving to another province temporarily in order to get the legal documents.

[/quote

I'm planning when my husband comes to the US that we will remarry and then I will take his last name here.

Timeline
Why when you marry in Canada you dont take the last name of your spouse?

Some people do. Some people don't. It's your choice (unless you live in Quebec!). This is based on no research but it seems like younger women are more likely to take their husband's names than us middle-aged women! I couldn't imagine changing my name and I don't really have any friends who have changed their name.

From my experience, it seems that it's a given that you will change your name in the U.S. In Canada it's not unusual to keep your original name.

Also, it's my understanding that people in Quebec are less likely to get married as well. I worked with a bunch of women from Montreal who all had kids and lived with their men, but there was really no thought of getting married. Kinda cool.

I know ... I've kinda digressed from the thread a bit ....

Edited by Gypsyangel

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm planning when my husband comes to the US that we will remarry and then I will take his last name here.

Not sure you'd need to get married again in the US to do that. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an officient to do a legal ceremony if you've already had one.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.