Antonio

Health Insurance before we get married

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,All

My Fiance will be here July 5th(CAN'T WAIT).Anyway,we wont be getting married ASAP,but,she is concerned about having health insurance before we get married and she goes on my insurance.Anybody out there have any suggestions on any temporary healt insurance plans out there? Thanks to any and all in advance.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

From my personal experience....I cannot get my fiancé on my health insurance UNTIL we are married. Besides, the spouse has to have a SSN too. Apparently one cannot even fart in the USA without a SSN.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline

Antonio,

I 'self-insured'. It is a risk that not everyone is willing to take.

Yodrak

Hi,All

My Fiance will be here July 5th(CAN'T WAIT).Anyway,we wont be getting married ASAP,but,she is concerned about having health insurance before we get married and she goes on my insurance.Anybody out there have any suggestions on any temporary healt insurance plans out there? Thanks to any and all in advance.

Timeline
From my personal experience....I cannot get my fiancé on my health insurance UNTIL we are married. Besides, the spouse has to have a SSN too. Apparently one cannot even fart in the USA without a SSN.

BTW... a SSN is not required to be added to one's health insurance.. if they did how do they add children and infants... Actually, it illegal for them to require it... if someone is telling you that, then they are not very knowledgeable... you need to find someone who is...

I sucessfully got my spouse on my insurance without a SSN...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

KarenCee,

Not true about the SSN. When pushed to understand the true requirements for a situation, a situation that they rarely see, the insurance company can add the spouse to the prior to their obtaining a SSN. They will create a 'dummy' number to identify the person in their database until a real SSN is obtained.

Yodrak

.... I cannot get my fiancé on my health insurance UNTIL we are married. Besides, the spouse has to have a SSN too. Apparently one cannot even fart in the USA without a SSN.

I think it just depends on the package being offered by the employer, as my husbands employer would not allow me to be added unless we were married (and it was going to be way more expensive to cover us both rather than just him, so we didn't bother anyways). However, my employer will allow us to add a "domestic partner", you have to jump through a few hoops and prove that you're in a relationship, living together, sharing bills etc and have this notarised, but still...it helps for those who are not married and want to insure their loved one.

I did go without health insurance until I got a job and was eligible for my own benefits, which I think gave me around nine months here in the US without insurance - not an ideal situation. For those like me, from the UK, I think I saw a thread about insuring yourself from the UK before leaving for the US.

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

In my experience only my (the USC) SSN was required and a copy of our marriage certificate. The SSN of my wife will be required eventually for the Life Insurance policy--more to show who is designated as the legal beneficiary.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

just don't let her leave the house until you get married! :thumbs:

we waited ... no problems either!

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Timeline

If you are concerned about the gap, you can purchase high deductable emergency health insurance coverage for a reasonable price.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.