DaveAndCaz

Are tax returns needed for I-134

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was in business school and did not make the required income the last two years. My mother completed the I-134. The instructions for the I-134 (listed below) make no mention of tax returns but I have read people saying they are needed. Does anyone know what the guideline is for this?

Statement of your employer on business stationery, revealing:

1. Date and nature of employment;

2. Salary paid;

3. Whether the position is temporary or permanent.

-Dave

Edited by DaveAndCaz

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2008-09-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-09-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-01-16

NVC Left : 2009-01-27

Packet 3 Received : 2009-02-09

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-02-10

Packet 4 Received : 2009-03-05

Interview Date : 2009-03-30 - Passed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I was in business school and did not make the required income the last two years. My mother completed the I-134. The instructions for the I-134 (listed below) make no mention of tax returns but I have read people saying they are needed. Does anyone know what the guideline is for this?

2. Salary paid;

-Dave

Yes, you need to attach one year tax return OR a letter explaining why you did not file. If your mother is a co-sponsor she will aslo have to include a tax return on hers. You will both need to do the I-134. You are correct, tax retuns are not specifically mentioned in the instructions, except for self employed, but they are universally required.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

2. Salary paid;

-Dave

They are recommended. (one year)

Remember, it states to show "sufficient" income. Your transcripts will show this.

They will be needed for the I-864

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
You are correct, tax returns are not specifically mentioned in the instructions, except for self employed, but they are universally required.

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to send Caroline copies of my, and my mothers, last tax returns.

This is what drives me nuts about this process. The fact that there are things that are never specifically mentioned, but they can reject you for not having.

Thanks again,

Dave

Timeline

One more question. Are copies of tax returns acceptable or do I need to order transcripts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
You are correct, tax returns are not specifically mentioned in the instructions, except for self employed, but they are universally required.

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to send Caroline copies of my, and my mothers, last tax returns.

This is what drives me nuts about this process. The fact that there are things that are never specifically mentioned, but they can reject you for not having.

Thanks again,

Dave

And why you should be glad you found VJ!!!! Great site.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Oh, they wouldn't reject right out of the box. If you provided the other evidence the 134 calls for, then you would probably be good to go.

If they needed more info, they would RFE you.

A lot of embassies seem to use the standards for the I-864 for the I-134, so that is why everyone recommends for people to just go ahead and send them in.

I am - it's simple to call the IRS, and about 15 mins later, they faxed over my three years of last tax returns.

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Under the advice of another VJ member that was in school too I included my college transcript as part of the package too. It shows what you've been up for the last two years instead of earning money.

Sheep: Baa-ram-ewe, baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

From what I've read, you just have to show to the consular official to their satisfaction that you have an income of a certain level. Tax returns or transcripts happen to be a very tidy and standardised way of showing your income, which is why they often ask for them.

If you can show you have the required level of income without tax returns, I don't see why they'd refuse a visa. I've certainly seen people who have been successful without them.

Edited by Marty J

10 Nov 08 - I-129F Sent

13 Nov 08 - I-129F NOA1

06 Feb 09 - I-129F NOA2

09 Feb 09 - NVC Received

11 Feb 09 - NVC Left

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Rec'd

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Sent

24 Mar 09 - Medical

30 Mar 09 - Packet 4 Rec'd

24 Apr 09 - Interview Date

03 Jun 09 - US entry

20 Jul 09 - AOS filed

12 Aug 09 - Biometrics

05 Oct 09 - Green Card rec'd

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.