francie

how to get out of a FIDO contract

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i have a 3yr contract with fido and if ever i will be granted the visa in May, i still have 18months left on the contract. i called fido and they said that i can terminate it but i need to pay 20dollars for each remaining month. another option is to transfer theaccount to another person. i got nobody to transfer the account to.

any idea how to deal with this thing? thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What about posting it on craig's list or something similar.... maybe you can find someone to take it over, even if it's a stranger.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Yeah if you have a nice phone/plan you might find someone on Craigslist.

I actually plan to just pay the cancellation fee to Bell when I move. Sucks, but its something I worked into my budget when I knew I was moving.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
Yeah if you have a nice phone/plan you might find someone on Craigslist.

I actually plan to just pay the cancellation fee to Bell when I move. Sucks, but its something I worked into my budget when I knew I was moving.

Yeah I payed Telus off too, it ended up being about $120 I had a year or so left on mine but couldn't be bothered to find anyone to take the darned thing. I despise Telus and if I ever move back to Canada I won't be using them.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

i took it into account and my Telus phone plan happened to end about 6 months before I was leaving - Telus let me go month to month with the same plan details.

Short of Craigslist or paying the fee I don't think there's another option. A thought - if the person who takes it over screws up - is it still on your head?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

^^ Nope if someone takes it over they pay a $25 fee or something and they do a complete name change.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

is it safe to make transfers without meeting the person? i found some websites where u can post info's on your phone and if somebody's interested they msge u. i receive a msge from someone and asking details about the plan and the fon. i msged back but he didnt reply anymore. maybe didnt find my fido plan interesting.

what if il change to the 15dollars a month plan. and just wait for it to finish.its cheaper by a hundred dollars if i do that.

if i dont pay the cancellation or whatver, will it show in my credit report? so far i got good credit history. does US look after credit history in canada?

Timeline

I had this same problem a couple of years ago. I just called Bell and busted their chops for about 30 minutes and they were willing to just cancel my contract to get me off the phone....LOL...

However, my best friend read somewhere that they can charge you the minimum 20$ a month up to only a maximum of 200$ so thats only 10 months worth. Don't know if that helps you out.

Timeline

they said they will charge me 20 a month for the remaining months or for a maximum of 400dollars. i need to pay 360 for the remaining months.#######!

maybe i can try to talk to them and just let me out. haha

Filed: Other Country: Aruba
Timeline

Good Luck I am dealing with the same stuff from bell they are a pretty heartless company ... i figure i'll just have them turn mine off they want 300 from me they can shut it off send me a bill i'll pay it when every other thing gets paid up ... seems that since i decided to go south everyone wants to get that last gouge in and want money

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I had similar problem with Rogers for my cell... I ended up changing my plan to "emergency only" and its something like $8 plus tax a month so I will do that for the last few months on my contract instead of my reg $50 some dollar plan... maybe you can lower it to the lowest it can go as long as they dont make you do a whole new "contract"

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

Rena

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Timeline
Good Luck I am dealing with the same stuff from bell they are a pretty heartless company ... i figure i'll just have them turn mine off they want 300 from me they can shut it off send me a bill i'll pay it when every other thing gets paid up ... seems that since i decided to go south everyone wants to get that last gouge in and want money

Any company is heartless when you sign a contract. Business is business... that's why you have to be careful when you sign a contract!

I knew full well when I signed my contract I would have to pay to break it. But it was cheaper than buying the phone I wanted outright even when I included the cancellation fee so it was a trade off.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Just be persistent , and if they wont give you what they want ask to speak to their superior. Mind you I would only recommend this if you are on the phone.. lol. I managed to get out of a 3 year Telus contract once... well my ex got on the phone and fought with them a while... But it still worked.

Random....but my husband & I had an american cell phone plan with Alltel from when we were in school and wanted to get rid of it. We were told the same thing, we'd have to pay $400 to cancel it (yeah, okay), or transfer it for free. So my husband posts an ad on craigslist (or kijiji in canada would be better) and we get this kid who takes over the contract b/c it costed him nothing either. Worked out pretty stinkin good!!! :)

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.