tanging-mahal

how to cancel attorney and if ok to cancel when u r in noa2?

18 posts in this topic

They only thing they CAN do, is slow your case and empty your bank account.
The "only" thing? An immigration attorney who has been an ex-consul may prove highly valuable at the beginning of the filing process and through the interview stage.
No matter what amount of time your wait is WITH an attorney, it would be 4-6 weeks, minimum, LESS if you did it yourself.
This cannot be claimed as a 100% all-the-time certainty.

It is understandable and worth some sympathy that some people can be and have been burned or hosed by attorneys. How fair is it to label ALL attorneys as incompetent or worthless? If your experience with ONE doctor was less than optimal, does that tarnish the entire medical profession? If your interaction with ONE plumber resulted in sloppy work, broken appointments, or overcharges, does that slime the entire plumbing trade? If your interaction with TWO doctors or TWO plumbers was dissatisfactory, does THAT indict the entire medical profession or plumbing trade? Is it automatically professional incompetence, or just as likely that the customer made a poor or casual choice in settling upon someone to perform a service?

We have an attorney, and while if I had to do it again, I wouldn't hire one, we have had no problems. Our attorney responds immediately to our queries and actually helped put the initial I129F packet together quicker than we could ourselves. Her flat fee is semi-reasonable and she hasn't caused any delays.

All that being said, if I knew of this website and had more time to research before we wanted to file the K-1, I would not have used an attorney.

I agree, with what I know now from this site I prob wouldn't have hired an attorney, but as I found this site from a link on his web page, well... He also responds immediately and after waiting 17 days for case number to be assigned by NVC, I called him, he said he would call NVC and the next day we had a case number, coincidence? maybe. Although our case is not complicated I think having someone with experience dealing with our case gives us peace of mind.

California Service Center

Consulate: Vienna, Austria

01/09/2008: Marriage

01/22/2009: I-130 Sent

02/10/2009: I-130 NOA1

02/12/2009: I-129 Sent

03/03/2009: I-129 NOA1

03/16/2009: I-130 NOA2 I-129 NOA2

NVC Journey CR-1

04/03/2009: NVC Received and Case number assigned

04/06/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for son)

04/06/2009: Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)Paid I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)

04/07/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for son) status shows paid

04/08/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for me) Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for me)

04/09/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for me) status shows paid

04/09/2009: Received I-864/DS-230 package

04/28/2009: Send completed I-864 package Send completed DS-230 package

05/18/2009: Package entered into system

05/27/2009: AVR says RFE sent by email

06/02/2009: Received RFE by email Sent RFE DHL

06/08/2009: NVC received RFE

06/10/2009: RFE entered into AVR

06/19/2009: Case Completed at NVC

07/08/2009: NVC Left

Embassy Journey CR-1

07/12/2009: Received by embassy

08/24/2009: Medical

08/25/2009: Interview Date

08/26/2009: Visa in hand

09/14/2009: POE Boston Harbour

01/18/2011: I-751 sent to CSC

01/24/2011: NOA1

03/04/2011: Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi everyone there i just want to ask anyone there who have an attorney, coz we wanted to cancel attorney but we have noa2 and just waiting for letter from us embassy but our attorney handle our paperworks so we r confuse and wanted to cancel it already since it take so long.. :(

Wow, wants to fire and attorney? Never heard of that. :dance:

1. "You're fired!"

2. "I will wait while you prepare the notification that you are removed from the case and I will mail it to the consulate"

3. "Give me a copy of everything in your file about our case. I'll wait while you make the copies."

4.otify the consulat eby email you wish to receive any documents sent and that your attorney has been fired. Notify the consulate by certified mail of the same, refer to the NVC case number on all correspondence. Call the consulate and tell them the same (cover all the bases, so to speak)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Yeh, we are thinking of firing our lawyer. They have been completely useless so far. We did all the chasing at USCIS, my fiance contacted the Senator. Then, they didn't even know that you can call NVC to check if the petition arrived there. My fiance had to call NVC to find out if they had received & sent out out petition to embassy & they take a week to answer emails.

So today we talked about it & decided it's not worth the $1800 fee as we are doing all the work. My fiance called them & they were very defensive & refusing to acknowledge they have been in any way incompetent.

We are just worried that he will hang on to all our documents as long as possible just to be awkward. It may just cause more delays & we've waited long enough already. :whistle:

MonkeyJuice,

I completely understand your concern - I had to 'fire' my divorce lawyer, but the courthouse still sent my divorce decree to her. No one told me that at first, though - I actually heard through my ex that he got his copy. After some BS, I finally got my ex-lawyer to send me the divorce decree - and at that point, that was the ONLY thing keeping me from sending the K-1 packet! I hope someone knows how to make sure that YOU, and not the lawyer, will get all correspondence....

Best of luck!

venusfire

P.S. I didn't have much luck with my immigration lawyer either - he was helpful at one point, but most of the time, I did a better job (such as filling out forms). Also, he gave me what I later found out was BAD advice that I fortunately did not need to use (what to do if the K-1 was denied)

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.