bobb

I-134 notary?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I know the new I-134 does not even have a place for notarizing on the new form. But, a notary can always add their form saying you signed this in front of them.

I ask because at the USEM website Here! Item 12, at the bottom, still shows the I-134 needs to be notarized. Yes, I know it only says not required but may be requested. Has anyone actually had their fiancee use the new I-134 with no notary and have no problems?

Edited by bobb

Timeline:

17 Nov 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

03 Apr 2009 - NOA2 approval (email)

09 Apr 2009 - NVC received

13 Apr 2009 - Sent to Embassy

23 Jun 2009 - Interview date USEM - Posted USEM website 30 Apr 2009

Filed: Timeline

The form must be notarized, even though the new form does not have a place for the notary. As you correctly point out, the notary can attach their own form, which is typically called a "Jurat with Affiant Statement." Your notary will attach this document after some grumbling about there not being a place for their stamp, and then you'll be fine.

The wording about "it's not required but may be requested," is, in my opinion, misleading. There's probably some legal bullsh*t that requires this wording, but basically--ALWAYS have the I-134, and ALWAYS get it notarized.

Good luck! :)

Has anyone actually had their fiancee use the new I-134 with no notary and have no problems?

Have not seen a single case where anyone has had an issue with their I-134 not being notarized (since implementing the new version of the form). :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.