July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Curse my coworkers.

I think I'm getting a cold, and 4 of them were sick at the same time.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vent is that I'm bloated from last night's supper :D

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Curse my coworkers.

They must have not washed their hands...lol

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Curse my coworkers.

They must have not washed their hands...lol

YEAH PROBABLY.

:lol:

Too bad that speech happened when none of them where there.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Filed: Timeline
The "I stayed here illegally for 2.5 years" thread...made me laugh...yet made me super angry...but still found it extremely hilarious.

Yeah, the part I really don't understand with people who over-stay "unintentionally", is at what point do they realize what they did was wrong? Like when they tried to open a bank account without a SSN or get a driver's license. They didn't pause at month 2-6 to say hmmmmmmm perhaps there is a procedure in place that I am supposed to undergo so I can start life here formally. I mean, 2 years to claim I really didn't know better and didn't know it was wrong, seems pretty incredulous! But there are some people who are just that slow. :wacko:

But alas, let's not relive that thread. I think Hermana Len summed it up for most of us. :thumbs:

and yet... I feel kinda bad... :(

NOT :jest:

Speaking of washing hands... we have a sign in the bathroom at work that says 'what're you doing with your next 15 seconds... wash your hands!'.... it's posted right above the men's urinal... hahaha

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Speaking of washing hands... we have a sign in the bathroom at work that says 'what're you doing with your next 15 seconds... wash your hands!'.... it's posted right above the men's urinal... hahaha

And how would you know that it's above the men's urinal? :rofl:

Timeline

Men's restrooms for the most part are ten times more disgusting than womens...lol I remember once back in Canada I was working night audit and the hotel was empty and I had to pee...for sake of adventure I went into the men's restroom....WHAT A DUMP it was horrible. on the women's side there is tons of stalls and nice little hand towels..I almost felt bad for them..needless to say I walked back to the women's restroom and went there.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
The "I stayed here illegally for 2.5 years" thread...made me laugh...yet made me super angry...but still found it extremely hilarious.

Yeah, the part I really don't understand with people who over-stay "unintentionally", is at what point do they realize what they did was wrong? Like when they tried to open a bank account without a SSN or get a driver's license. They didn't pause at month 2-6 to say hmmmmmmm perhaps there is a procedure in place that I am supposed to undergo so I can start life here formally. I mean, 2 years to claim I really didn't know better and didn't know it was wrong, seems pretty incredulous! But there are some people who are just that slow. :wacko:

But alas, let's not relive that thread. I think Hermana Len summed it up for most of us. :thumbs:

and yet... I feel kinda bad... :(

NOT :jest:

Now that sounds more like the Sister who tormented me when I was a kid. :lol: For a minute I thought that you were on the side of Law and Order, I had to look at my calendar to make sure that the Rapture wasn't upon us. :innocent::P

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Men's restrooms for the most part are ten times more disgusting than womens...lol I remember once back in Canada I was working night audit and the hotel was empty and I had to pee...for sake of adventure I went into the men's restroom....WHAT A DUMP it was horrible. on the women's side there is tons of stalls and nice little hand towels..I almost felt bad for them..needless to say I walked back to the women's restroom and went there.

I've seen restrooms where there's urine all over the floor and feces actually smeared on the toilet. It's not at all unusual to find someone's leftover "remains" in a toilet. Many mens restrooms lack paper towels and even soap. If there are any hand dryers, they're usually broken.

Some of the worst restrooms have been in malls (like Metrotown and West Ed) and especially movie theaters. The Silvercity movie theater near me has a restroom that nearly made me vomit (and that's really tough to do).

While not gross, the local library's restroom never has any paper towels. I'm not exaggerating here. I've been to that library tons and tons of times and it has yet to stock one paper towel. What I find odd about that is it's a freaking library -- you'd think they'd want people with DRY hands touching their books.

The best restroom I've ever seen is at Cactus Club. Those bathrooms are spotless, always stocked and best of all, the toilet seats have plastic protectors on them (which rotate with each use) and the flush mechanism is on the floor, so you never have to touch it.

Oh and just because my above examples have been from Canada, that does in no way mean American mens restrooms are any cleaner. It's rare to find a clean restroom anywhere.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

DPX, don't post about Metrotown. I have to hear about it enough from the hubby. :P

I agree, though, Cactus Club has the nicest bathrooms.

I'm curious, where in Van are you?

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Canadian or American most public washrooms are disgusting lol

Timeline
DPX, don't post about Metrotown. I have to hear about it enough from the hubby. :P

I agree, though, Cactus Club has the nicest bathrooms.

I'm curious, where in Van are you?

I live in the Tri-Cities area, which consists of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody. I really don't like it there. The people are real a$$holes and can't drive for $hit.

My wife and I would like to move to North Vancouver or maybe even Victoria at some point.

Where are you located?

And how would you know that it's above the men's urinal? :rofl:

Because our office is ghetto enough to only have one bathroom for both.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
A little debt is a good thing (especially something useful like cars). Believe it or not, the people in charge of credit ratings (even the international ones, if you're planning on moving in the future) really like to see how you handle paying off "big" loans.

I'm sure that doesn't really help the stress, but just think of it as a credit building exercise that will pay off in the future. :)

If you're feeling this level of stress, have you told your hubby? He might not realize you're feeling this level of stress, and knowing you are might help kick him into gear to get a job to help out.

(I hope.)

We the members of vent thread are here to listen at the very least! :)

I always have thought that it's very interesting how differently people see debt and loans etc etc. I don't think that debt in relation to credit rating is really a huge issue, well at least not that I have seen, say in terms of a mortgage etc. While we have a lot of credit, we don't tend to have debt and we have a terrific credit rating. I think it's more about qualifying on your good history of payments rather than carrying actual debt.

Plus, suppose you want to buy a house, any debt you have counts against you - especially in Canada where most banks dictate that your mortgage payment cannot exceed something like 30% of your income, so in fact debt works against you on the amount of house you can finance.

As for financing a car, well a car is handy and a necessity in a way (it's not really, I mean there are other forms of transportation, however who wants to stand at an LRT station or bus stop when it's -30) - but i've always thought that buying a reliable car, within our means was more important than having a new car. Either car will get you from point A to point B - but the car within your means - really means you won't be working overtime and getting stressed paying it off.

With that I don't mean that I think no one should ever finance a car, I used a line of credit once to finance one, but I would never buy one that had me working overtime (but my priorities are different than other peoples sometimes - I know this).

Oh and Jill - good for you!

Debt in relation to credit is a big deal to the credit reporting agencies, and the creditors who set up these agencies in the first place. It's not simply the amount of debt that someone carries, but how they pay it, and how well they carry it. If they are going to issue you a large sum of money to be paid over 5-30 years, I think it is in their best interest to see how you've done historically in making consistent payments on things. Someone with $150k in the bank, but zero credit history tells me nothing of their credit worthiness as opposed to someone who has paid off a brand new car, student loans, and has 6 credit accounts all in good standing.

However, as I _painfully_ found out, it is NOT enough to just pay all your loans off without late payments.

I paid my way through university, paid off my car, and happily sat around not borrowing money.

Next thing I know, I ask for a loan for Peachey's ring - and I'm denied.

I talked with my money guy and found out that I did have one late payment (oops), but what was worse was - since I had no debt for several years... Creditors were looking at me as a huge credit risk.

In effect, since I hadn't borrowed any money for years, my credit rating "slid" back towards the dark side. I've been working hard on it all year... essentially borrowing money when I don't need to (with 0% interest of course - I am not interested in spending more than I have to) and making consistent payments.

It's worked great, my credit is back to where it should be - it just took me being in debt.

My money guy highly recommends that at any one point you have at least 3 "debts". It can be something small like a credit card that you put 20$ (or less!) on each month AND pay off. Or even something like what Peachey and I did - buying a new bed and putting it on a loan to make a small monthly payment against. (A lot of furniture stores are hurting for sales and can get you 0% interest.)

Keeping your payments on time is only half the battle - you also need to ensure that payments exist - or you can end up in the same boat as me.

It's funny how this all turned into a big discussion about debt :) I guess everyone has their own opinion...But thanks for the advice still; it's good to be able to get everything out. He might have a couple leads on jobs, just needs some references. And he's not so thrilled about moving back to Canada, but maybe after he gets his citizenship - so none of that time and money to get the green card doesn't go to waste - we can have the discussion. But hopefully he'll be in the service by then and I won't have to worry so much...but thanks for letting me vent :)

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.