BlakeandOlha

Process to Extend K-1 beyond 6 Months

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi! I went through the same situation. My visa expired and I wasn`t able to use it.

I wrote to the embassy explaining why I wasn`t able to use it and they sent me a letter on what to do.

I surrendered my visa and visa packet to the embassy in person and they scheduled me for another medical and interview.

I was issued another visa good for six months again.

Did they require the whole documentary evidence thing again? I've discovered Skype, which has been saving me tons of money over the last 5 months, but it doesn't leave a very good trail (like a phone bill does). There are of course hundreds of e-mails and the like. Presents, and my visits. Neither of us expected this to happen and we're both pretty freaked out about it. My fiancee is ready to head off to Kiev tomorrow night on the train with letters from doctors and transcripts from the school, but if it is as simple as scheduling a new interview and taking the medical again, then we can take a deep breath.

But I don't dare breath too deeply until my fiancee or I talk to someone at the embassy beyond the scheduling worker.

So how long was it from when your visa expired until they scheduled another interview and medical?

Just as a side note,

Thank you all for your quick response and constructive comments. I appreciate this very much!

You can use someone's Manila experience as a guide, but the process and end result in Kiev can be very different .... You cannot assume anyone else's experience in process or timing from a different part of the world will be remotely the same.... Revalidation is 100% at the consulate's discretion....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi! I went through the same situation. My visa expired and I wasn`t able to use it.

I wrote to the embassy explaining why I wasn`t able to use it and they sent me a letter on what to do.

I surrendered my visa and visa packet to the embassy in person and they scheduled me for another medical and interview.

Did they require the whole documentary evidence thing again? I've discovered Skype, which has been saving me tons of money over the last 5 months, but it doesn't leave a very good trail (like a phone bill does). There are of course hundreds of e-mails and the like. Presents, and my visits. Neither of us expected this to happen and we're both pretty freaked out about it. My fiancee is ready to head off to Kiev tomorrow night on the train with letters from doctors and transcripts from the school, but if it is as simple as scheduling a new interview and taking the medical again, then we can take a deep breath.

But I don't dare breath too deeply until my fiancee or I talk to someone at the embassy beyond the scheduling worker.

So how long was it from when your visa expired until they scheduled another interview and medical?

Just as a side note,

Thank you all for your quick response and constructive comments. I appreciate this very much!

They only asked me to prepare documents that had already expired since my last interview like NBI clearance and medical report. Though I also prepared some evidences of continuous relationship but they didn`t ask for it in my case.

My visa expired August 29, 2008 but I didn`t know then it was possible to renew it. I lost hope and was thinking that maybe we should refile, but I still tried to send email, fax a letter and even snail mail on Nov. 24 to the US embassy here in manila. I was happy they answered. Then I was scheduled for interview last Jan. 28 only. Just had to pay the same fees I paid before.

We first met................Sept. 2003

Sent I129F...............July 27, 2007

Received at CSC......July 30, 2007

NOA1......................August 1, 2007

Touched..................August 3, 2007

Touched..................Dec. 17, 2007

Touched..................Dec. 18, 2007

Approved................Dec. 19, 2007

Touched .................Dec. 20, 2007

NVC case number....Jan. 19, 2008

Case forwarded to Manila

Packet 4 recieved....Feb. 14, 2008

Medical...................March 5, 2008 (Early Medical Feb. 28-29)

Interview................March 12, 2008 (APPROVED!!!)

Visa expired (unused)...........Aug. 29, 2008

Applied for renewal ..............Nov. 24, 2008

Recieved appinment letter from USEM..... Jan. 3, 2009

Medical................................Jan. 14-15, 2009

Scheduled interview..............Jan. 28, 2009 (APPROVED AGAIN!)

Visa delivered......................Jan. 31, 2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just as a side note,

They only asked me to prepare documents that had already expired since my last interview like NBI clearance and medical report. Though I also prepared some evidences of continuous relationship but they didn`t ask for it in my case.

My visa expired August 29, 2008 but I didn`t know then it was possible to renew it. I lost hope and was thinking that maybe we should refile, but I still tried to send email, fax a letter and even snail mail on Nov. 24 to the US embassy here in manila. I was happy they answered. Then I was scheduled for interview last Jan. 28 only. Just had to pay the same fees I paid before.

I've sent the e-mail off the the consulate in Kiev and will contact them directly tomorrow morning in Kiev (looks like a late night))) I understand completely that renewal is at the discretion of the consular officials, and that circumstances and attitudes will be different from embassy to embassy. But this is the best play I have at the moment, since other options are falling away quickly.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

I just read the thread, and wanted to see if you had any success with the embassy. If they continue to turn you down, I wonder in congressional help would be in order. I believe that Congressmen and Senators can have a great deal of influence in State Department discretionary matters.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
I just read the thread, and wanted to see if you had any success with the embassy. If they continue to turn you down, I wonder in congressional help would be in order. I believe that Congressmen and Senators can have a great deal of influence in State Department discretionary matters.

Thanks for your suggestion. It's not so much that the embassy declines at this point, it is the fact that they DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAILS (at least not yet). Arrrrgh!

Kiev is 8 hours ahead of where I live and I was up to 2:00am trying to get through the embassy switchboard. Their recording says to call the same number I had just called. Kiev appears to be stuck in a loop.

I did receive a auto reply generated by the embassy indicating that they had received my e-mail and suggested that I call a number, which they do not answer. I thought I was going to be done with the embassy in Kiev 6 mos ago........

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for your suggestion. It's not so much that the embassy declines at this point, it is the fact that they DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAILS (at least not yet). Arrrrgh!

Kiev is 8 hours ahead of where I live and I was up to 2:00am trying to get through the embassy switchboard. Their recording says to call the same number I had just called. Kiev appears to be stuck in a loop.

I did receive a auto reply generated by the embassy indicating that they had received my e-mail and suggested that I call a number, which they do not answer. I thought I was going to be done with the embassy in Kiev 6 mos ago........

they do respond to e-mails but the turn time is 2-3 days

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks...I'll remember to keep breathing.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Best thing :)

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Any word yet?

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.